SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    English restaurant offering 200-ounce steak challenge: 'We wanted to bring a bit of fun to the restaurant'
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

English restaurant offering 200-ounce steak challenge: 'We wanted to bring a bit of fun to the restaurant' Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
A restaurant, apparently in England, is offering a 200 oz dinner for 4, eat it all in an hour and it’s free.

quote:
A restaurant is serving up a massive steak which weighs more than a newborn baby lamb — and costs $250.

Cattlemans Steakhouse serves the 200-ounce monster along with garlic bread, fries, onion rings, mushrooms, tomatoes and cole slaw.

It is designed to be shared by four people, and any group which completes the meal within one hour gets it free of charge.

So far 10 groups have attempted it — but only two have finished it.

"Challenges seem to be all the rage, and we wanted to bring a bit of fun to the restaurant," said a spokesperson for Cattlemans.

"We don't get people doing it every night, but we've had a few."

The restaurant in Paignton, Devon, also has a $125 100-ounce steak challenge for one person, which has only been completed once.

"The 200-ounce challenge is very doable," said the spokesperson before admitting, "I've not tried it; I could never eat that amount of steak."

Link

Anybody ever had a go at the Big Texan Steakhouse in Amarillio? 72 oz steak, cooked your way, baked potato, salad, shrimp cocktail, in an hour?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
That thing looks tasty!

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Any way to shrink that photo down? It makes the type too small to read on my screen.

I don’t know that English beef would have the same qualities as found at Big Texan.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Pass. I wouldn't eat 1/4 of a 200 oz steak at a Texas steakhouse and you couldn't pay me to do it in England.

I spent 10 days in England last year which included eating at two London steakhouses and one of them was extremely expensive. The grade of meat wasn't very good at either, and only one could did a decent job of cooking it. I could make a killing there selling reverse seared prime grade steaks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
I like my steaks mid rare but that's way too rare for me. No way I could eat the meat in the center.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It might be OK if it's not cooked by an English cook. For the most part their cooking is horrible. Except the fish & chips. Otherwise I will stick to the ethnic restaurants while in England

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
About 50oz per person? I'm a little embarrassed to say that I could take that and probably a dessert depending on my mood that day.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Do you have to eat all the sides too?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yep.

quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Do you have to eat all the sides too?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
<Dr.Hibbert> It was... beef poisoning. </Dr.Hibbert>

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
They also happen to have a single person 100oz challenge, but only one person has completed it Eek

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You will die

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
...or the mad cow will gitchyer brain.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You will die

BURP!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of sirloin

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I once ate steak at one of the best steak houses in London (according to my host). It wasn’t nearly as good as K-Bob’s in Raton, which is a low bar to set for a steak joint.

Ain’t no way I could eat 50oz of steak in England.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
John Pinette would have taken the challenge.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
To those who have commented on eating steaks in England, how is it that the steaks aren't tasty?

Seasoning?
The quality of beef?

Just curious.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post