SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iowa man shoots self while cleaning rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iowa man shoots self while cleaning rifle Login/Join 
posted
It wasn't a drive-by shooting after all. 4AM, I wonder if alcohol was involved...

https://www.desmoinesregister....shooting/1077944001/

Des Moines man shoots himself cleaning rifle; lies to police about drive-by shooting

Linh Ta, lta@dmreg.com Published 8:20 a.m. CT Jan. 30, 2018

Des Moines police were initially called to a shooting early Tuesday morning, but later learned the victim actually accidentally shot himself while cleaning his rifle, according to a police report.

Around 4 a.m., Des Moines police were called to a home in the 3000 block of East 25th Street on a report of a shooting.

When officers arrived, they saw the 22-year-old victim laying on a couch with a gunshot wound in his thigh.

The victim said he was recently shot at three times by a silver Honda at a nearby park, according to the report.

Officers noticed the victim was "in good spirits" and there was little blood from the wound.

As officers spoke with the victim his story would change. He was unable to give anymore details about the shooting or how he walked back home, according to the report.

While medics were treating the victim's wounds, officers spoke with family members.

The victim's brother said his brother left the house to go on a walk around 3:40 a.m., which was common. He returned 10 minutes later and told him he had been shot and to get their parents.

After officers spoke with the victim's mom and stepdad, the parents said they would not doubt that the victim made up the whole story and that they only knew what they were told, according to the police report.

When officers searched the victim's room they found blood on his bedsheets and several firearms, including a 20-gauge single barrel shotgun, a BB gun and an AR-style .22 rifle with magazines laying nearby.

After an officer examined the victim's pants, he noticed a barrel hole in the same shape as the rifle.

The victim later admitted to shooting himself while cleaning the gun and no one in his family knew about it, according to the police report.

Officers took the firearms for safekeeping.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

Officers took the firearms for safekeeping.

Why?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
You can't shoot yourself while cleaning your rifle if you unload it first. Then check the bore and make sure it's empty. ugghhhh

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I'll ask WTF is this?

quote:
After an officer examined the victim's pants, he noticed a barrel hole in the same shape as the rifle.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
I'll ask WTF is this?

quote:

I'll add this to it...

"The victim said he was recently shot at three times by a silver Honda at a nearby park, according to the report."

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
I'll ask WTF is this?

quote:

yeah, I read that about 5 times and am still baffled.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Yea, you know, round.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Cleaning my gun when it went off"
is code for:
"I was fucking around with my loaded gun when my booger picker pressed against that curvy thing, and I put a hole in .............."

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Shot himself while cleaning his gun, yeah right. Roll Eyes

More than likely that he shot the trigger while aiming the bullet at his leg.
That definitely would result in a barrel hole in the same shape as the rifle.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out how a silver Honda could fire a rifle.

In reality, I'll go with the "drunk and goofing around" theory. Really goofing around, in order to shoot your own thigh with a rifle! He may have been goofing around with a friend, for whom he is covering.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think I would have a hard time shooting myself in the thigh with a rifle. It must have been a short barreled one.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Was there a cleaning rod sticking out of his leg?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Darwin

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post