SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Appliance Brad or others help? Fridge freezer ice build up on fan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appliance Brad or others help? Fridge freezer ice build up on fan Login/Join 
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted
So I have...

Model #FFHS2322MBE FRIGIDAIRE Side-by-Side Refrigerator

After the course of a few weeks, I can hear a growling noise. Taking the inside plates off of the back of the freezer reveals ice building up around the fan and once it gets built up enough, contacts the fan blades.

I can see small frozen trickles of water coming from up high on the back wall (behind the panels).

From my research it can be water splashing out of the water chute (like a water slide, not a complete tube). Or it can be the water inlet valve?

I have read this is a somewhat common issue on these. Some have gotten a 3/4" tube slit down the middle to cover the water chute to the ice maker. That seems like a band-aid fix... Assuming the water inlet valve is letting too much water in and that is what is causing the overflow/splashing of water I should replace that too?

Seems cheap enough... I can find what I believe is correct water inlet valve for $20-$50.

I guess my question is.. Am I on the right track here or am I missing something?

Is this the correct valve that I need?:

https://www.mccombssupply.com/...y_wtICFUxqfgodfPoGCg

Process to replace this thing?

Thanks for any help!

Here are a couple pics.

This is what I am experiencing: These are not my pics, but ones I found online of the same issue. They look identical to my freezer setup. I had already broke the ice off of mine before thinking to take a pic.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
If you completely defrost it, does it come back? The evaporator looks really clean which tells me your defrost system is working. First guess is an ambient(room) air leak (door not fully closing)

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
If you completely defrost it, does it come back? The evaporator looks really clean which tells me your defrost system is working. First guess is an ambient(room) air leak (door not fully closing)

Sorry for the late reply. Yes it does come back. This was my parents fridge, they got a new one and gave us this one. They had it for 2 years and it just happened to them for the first time.

They bought a new fridge because of the noise this one was making. After figuring out what it was and breaking off the ice, it worked good as new. Mom wanted to keep the new fridge so they gave this one to me.

Moral of THAT story is, yes it got defrosted sitting in their garage before I could get it.

Did not think it would ice up so fast on me, but it did.

I will check the door seal.

From looking at the back, I can see water trails coming from high up on the back wall where behind the ice maker is.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the ice cubes really big? Check the front and back angle with a level, you might have to adjust the feet or adjust the water level for the icemaker. It sounds to me like the front of the refrigerator is much higher than the back and the water is overflowing the mold assembly for the ice maker and running down the back and then freezing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post