SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Exercise Bike
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exercise Bike Login/Join 
posted
Looking to buy a stationary exercise bike to supplement my current cardio routine. Prefer to keep the cost under 1K.

Any recommendations? (I searched prior threads but only found info on recumbents)

Thanks

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's a recent four page thread on the Peloton. While that's outside of your price range, there are suggestions within about some less expensive options for stationary bikes.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2900005664

Do you have a bicycle currently? If so, you could look into getting a trainer for it. You can get a nice one for under $1000, since you're not having to pay for the whole "bike" portion of a stationary bike. You attach your road/trail bike to the trainer and turn your bicycle into a stationary bike.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For me, if I were to invest in a trainer, I'd go for one of the direct-drive (remove rear wheels & trainer has the gearset on it) over the roller type.

I have a roller mag trainer & find it loses traction when trying to do any kind of 'sprint'.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thread Rogue.

posted Hide Post
I been using an older generation Schwinn Airdyne AD4 which I am satisfied with. The only change I've made is to replace the seat with one having no extension on the front. Used models can be found at reasonable prices on ebay and other places I imagine. It is a well made and durable product. I have put some thousands of "miles" on mine. The newer generation AD7 retails for about $900 which is in your stated price range.

My wife has a Giant brand bicycle and a matching trainer which we bought at the local bicycle shop used (like new) for $50. She doesn't use it much but it works fine. Resistance on the roller is adjustable. I prefer the Airdyne as a dedicated exercise machine.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I use a wheel on smart trainer and not a direct drive smart trainer because I weigh too much for the direct drive trainer.

I have a spare wheel with a trainer tire mounted (tire made specifically for trainer use, and is no good for road use) that I swap out if I am going to ride the trainer.

I use Zwift and BKool programs to control the trainer.

BKool allows me to ride routes that I have ridden outside in the house, and allows me to train for routes if I am going to participate in a charity ride.

Yes the programs to control the trainer have a cost (BKool is $120.00 per year and Zwift is $15.00 per month).

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at the Schwinn IC4 right now for $799.

I don't need an App product - I am one of those guys that works out with no music, no phone, no TV. My wife would use her Ipad. Just looking for some supplementary workouts when I am not running or lifting. (and I find 15-20 mins on a bike to be the perfect warm-up on leg day)

posted Hide Post
If you don't need a bike to venture outside, a good spin bike should do the trick. Check for used ones. Perhaps in these times you may find gyms closing sadly.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
has a low threshold
for bullshit
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Rogue Fitness Echo Bike. All day long. I bought one for myself, and then bought one as a gift.

Posts: 1687 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Here's a recent four page thread on the Peloton. While that's outside of your price range, there are suggestions within about some less expensive options for stationary bikes.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2900005664
<snip>

Still using my Peloton, and still loving it!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I have the bowflex C6 bike. It's been great. Connects with apps, magnetic resistance, it's a nice bike. Wife uses it more than me but we both like it.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Schwann AirDyne is a quality built bike. Most of the Cardiac/Pulmonary Rehab programs use them. They last, and fit all fitness levels.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schwinn IC4 arrived yesterday.

Took about 90-minutes to unpack and assemble today.

Looks and feels solid. Very quiet and smooth.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Search for a gently used Spin bike. I found one on CL for ~ 20 cents on the dollar. mid/high end commercial unit. It was obvious someone had bought all or most of the equipment from a closed gym.

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Schwinn IC4 arrived yesterday.

Took about 90-minutes to unpack and assemble today.

Looks and feels solid. Very quiet and smooth.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Make sure you either get someone to fit you to this bike or fit yourself as you will want to make adjustments to your reach, saddle height, and saddle position.

A professional fit (someone makes the adjustments, has you ride while they watch what your body is doing, makes more adjustments until the bike is fit to your body) is highly recommended.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of gyms are going out because of COVID.

Lots of places are buying the equipment by bulk and selling to people off the street.

My friend wanted a Keiser M3i but no one had them in stock they were selling them as fast as they could get them in.

They ended up with a Nordic Track.

Lots of deals on Gym equipment as the gyms go out of business

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Lots of gyms are going out because of COVID.

Lots of places are buying the equipment by bulk and selling to people off the street.

My friend wanted a Keiser M3i but no one had them in stock they were selling them as fast as they could get them in.

They ended up with a Nordic Track.

Lots of deals on Gym equipment as the gyms go out of business

I wouldn't buy used electronic gym equipment off the street - but I am keeping my eyes open for plates and dumbells.