SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is the victim always blameless? (#metoo movement)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is the victim always blameless? (#metoo movement) Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I think it's great when a woman is brave enough to stand up and tell the world that some asshole abused or assault her. Guys like that need to burn and the truth needs to come out.

However, I get so irrate when they refuse to name the perp. I recall one interview with some celebrity (don't recall the name) where she admitted that she was part of the problem because she wouldn't name her abuser.

Am I off base here? You have the balls to get in front of a camera and admit to some asshole doing horrible things to you, but you won't go a bit further to ensure that he, not only burns, but does NOT have the opportunity to do it to someone else?

My wife thinks I'm blaming the victim, but I don't always believe the victim has 0% blame in every situation.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm sure some/most of the budding starlets put themselves in that situation. It was even shown back in 1980 during the casting couch scene in the movie Fame.

Is anyone really surprised that young girls sleep with old rich hollywood guys for roles? I'm sure most of them regret it but they knew what they were doing.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I had this great big long post typed out. It started to ramble and get all incoherent.

short version, and most people's reaction is shock and maybe even disgust ...

No, the victim is not ALWAYS 100% blameless

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe she wants the attention of victim hood without the discomfort of actually having been a victim.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Three words; Bill Burr video.

Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My big problem with all of this is when they say things like, twenty years ago while on the set the director groped me and now he needs to be held accountable. You said nothing for twenty years and now what evidence do you have? Are we supposed to prosecute people years later because someone said "Oh yeah, I almost forgot but some guy touched me a long time ago, now make him pay for it". This stuff is nothing but a crazy witch hunt.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This whole movement has devolved into complete BS. Since when should a woman (or anyone) get to accuse a someone of abuse and not have to come out an put her name on it? This BS of hiding and slinging accusations removes all credibility from this group.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
So they fuck their way to to top and when they are old and busted (or go nuts) and can't anymore they claim victomhood? A whole lot of rock stars are probably pretty worried about what when on in the 80s.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If they name a perp, but don't go after them, they open themselves up to slander/libel charges.

In that case, though, maybe they should just keep it to themselves. If they're not going to actively go after the perp, i don't see how coming out with a story helps anything.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
So they fuck their way to to top and when they are old and busted (or go nuts) and can't anymore they claim victomhood? A whole lot of rock stars are probably pretty worried about what when on in the 80s.

Yep.

Had a friend in Berks County, PA who had a small Rock band in the 70's who told me, if you wanted girls chasing after you, get together a Rock band.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the lack of consensus on what, exactly, rises to the level of "abuse." To hear some #metooers, a leer is sufficient, not to mention an unwanted hug, kiss on the cheek, or spoken innuendo. I hope they realize the harm they are doing by equating these "violations" with rape and other crimes in their advocacy efforts (or perhaps they want to do so).

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post