SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jeep Wrangler tire suggestions/ advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep Wrangler tire suggestions/ advice Login/Join 
posted
My 2009 Jeep Wrangler tires are getting pretty tired and it is time to replace. The vehicle itself has a lot of “beauty marks” from hard use and has over 140k on it, and is soon to be supplemented by an additional vehicle. With that in mind I am looking for decent affordable general purpose tire for both daily driver duty and occasional light off road use. Open to suggestions thanks!

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
My '12 has Goodyear Dura-Tracs on it. Second year on them, about 25K. A lot of tread left.

I'm mainly on paved roads. My off roading has been very very limited. Snow and ice traction has been good, rain wetted pavement good.

Noise level is kind of high but not objectionable to me. I just turn the radio up.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another +1 for Duratracs.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Bfgoodrich Ko2s or Cooper at3s.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I recently put new Duratracs on my Wrangler. Not too many miles on them yet, but so far I love them.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2. Have never run Duratrac, which they say is a hair better than the KO2 in the snow, but I've run the latter in 3 ft snow drifts without chains and I can say it is no slouch. The Goodrich is supposed to be a better road ride as well, and a thicker sidewall. Probably can't go wrong with either.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16314 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Hankook ATm. I run the MTs on my Jeep, the ATm on my Pilot.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
My brother put a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T3W on his 4Runner last year. He's very impressed with them so far. They weren't available when I needed tires otherwise I'd have a set on my 4Runner.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
BFG kM2. A friend has over 40k on his and they still look like they have another 10k to go.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Yokohama Geolander AT. Check reviews on Tire Rack.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 a couple months ago. To say I was not impressed would be an under statement.

You can tell a lot about the quality of a tire set by the amount of balance weights needed. My set of Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 took a metric shit ton of balance weights on two out of 4 tires. Reminded me of some of the tire sets of the 1970s. Compared this to the Yokohama A/T tires I had on before only took a small amount balance weights on same set of rims.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
on 2008 JK I ran set of Kelly clones to the Duratrak, from 24000 to 90000 with excellent all around wear, still had 12/18 measured when traded off.

They were the 18" E rated, never had any complaint of ride or traction in any use as DD; not a mudder or rock climber.

The OEM Wranglers on my 2015 have 29000 with excellent performance. These are the ones some complain bitterly about being 'too small' etc etc. PNW wet roads, ice/snow, dry pavement road trips, moderate sandy back trails/gravel roads, no cx. Probably will get another set when these are done in another 30k miles.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Yokohama Geolander AT. Check reviews on Tire Rack.

Agreed!!
I had them on my Explorer and have them on Silverado Z71.
Great traction in all weather, great off road grip, very quiet on the highway, long tread life, and very affordable.

I have the highway tread model on the Highlander and they are great performers as well.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
‘Occasional, light, off-road use’? I’d be getting more of a quiet, highway type tread. Something on long the lines of the Firestone Destination LE would do it for me.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ridgeway:
Another +1 for Duratracs.

I have these on my tacoma. Not only do they look the balls, but they are great in winter, and competent off road. Yeah noisy and squishy in the dry, but hell it's a truck.

The stock dunlops were garbage, hankook dynapro ATMs were way better. Duratracs are the best so far though.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
DuraTracs for sure. I love mine, and that's after trying a whole bunch of other "name brand" tires that didn't live up to the hype.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post