SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WikiLeaks releases 'entire hacking capacity of the CIA'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WikiLeaks releases 'entire hacking capacity of the CIA' Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
For all we know, somebody with better than average clearance clicked on a link in an email titled "12 HOT girls for the summer".

Not sense. Not intelligence. Not smarts. Just better than average clearance.

With evidence from emailgate that classified intelligence jumped the "air gap" nothing would surprise me.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I am sick of the clownishness of people who are supposed to be "security experts". I am sick of every day seeing new stories about how 60 million accounts of some company or other have been hacked.
I am sick of government agencies displaying rampant ignorance. The CIA can't protect this data, which is supposed to be vital to national security? The CIA?? Think about that for a minute.

So, really, just fuck all of these idiots. Before too long, we'll hear of some theft from some other "vital" government system, even more outrageous and supposedly more harmful than even the CIA breach. This will be announced probably around the same time that we hear the same shit from the private sector- something like "XYZ Bank announces that 900 million accounts have been hacked."

You know its true. This shit gets bigger and more frequent every day. Just fuck all of these people. I'm going to live my life, and they can go on doing their stupid, bumbling, inept, incompetent bullshit, mmkay? Really, just fuck you.

This is pretty much how I live my life.

Hell, I want to switch to 100% cash and go back to a black rotary phone and a carbureated V8. Fuck all of them, in various ways for various reasons.

Oh, I can be threatened with charges and termination if I accidentally let someone see something on my computer screen in my patrol car, but Hillary? Yeah...fuck those people, in particular.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sick of the clownishness of people who are supposed to be "security experts".

I've been "hanging out" with real security experts for ever since I put my first system on the Internet--shortly after the 'net became commercially accessible.

I made sure I was up-to-speed on "LAN" (such as it was) and system security as I learned and deployed new technology--this even before Ethernet was a widely-used standard.

I only mention this, not as bragging rights, but for perspective. The security experts I'm talking about have been predicting things like this...

quote:
I am sick of every day seeing new stories about how 60 million accounts of some company or other have been hacked.

...for a long, long time. Since well before the first widely publicized consumer data theft. (Don't recall what it was, atm. It was prior to the Target breach.)

quote:
You know its true. This shit gets bigger and more frequent every day.

Yup. That's for three reasons. In no particular order:

• The astonishing level of incompetence in I.T. staff. I mean truly, mind-bogglingly astonishing levels of incompetence. I don't mean the occasional screw-up. People are only human. They make mistakes. They overlook things. No, I'm talking sheer, abysmal ineptness.
  • Poor software quality. This, in turn, results from two causes: The same kind of ineptness in designers and coders as in I.T. administration and PHBs demanding customers get what they want, whether it's a good idea or not.
  • Unwillingness to do what's necessary to furnish secure solutions. This essentially encompasses both of the above.

Some Real Life examples:

Years ago an industry partner wanted to do video conferencing on the cheap. My boss asked me about the implications of letting Microsoft NetMeeting through the firewall. I took one look at the protocol's requirements and shuddered. Asked my on-line colleagues what they thought of it. Summary: "You'd have to drill so many holes through your firewall, you might as well remove it." Relayed to boss. That killed it. (I have been blessed with clueful bosses Smile.)

The email spam problem. The email protocol was developed in a time and place that was a kinder, gentler, saner Internet. From the TCP/IP suite up to the protocols that ran atop it: None of it was designed for the kinds of attacks the Internet has since experienced. The shame of it is: The email protocol need not be abandoned. With changing just a few "shoulds" (advisory) to "musts" (required) in the official protocol specification, and dumping that archaic "Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept" Robustness Law, much of what's wrong with email could be fixed. Yes, that would break some things, such as arbitrary relaying. Bummer. Right now email is all but worthless, because nobody can trust anything they receive. (I'll note, in passing, that some of the most vocal opponents to change coincidentally are involved in the "legitimate" email marketing industry.)

Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard. Any security professional who's ever been though a PCI DSS audit knows that's a complete joke. Window dressing. The payment card industry is forcing card processors to go through feel-good exercises instead of forcing real change, that addresses the most serious vulnerabilities. Example: When I went though one of those we were nicked for two of my externally-visible systems having old versions of operating systems. First of all: They were bogus hits. Yes: The OS fingerprints were of older systems, but they were patched and up-to-date. If the auditors knew what they were about (see my first point, above) they would never have raised flags on them. But the saddest part: I simply removed those systems from being involved in the "payment card path" (for which they accepted my assertion) and we passed. Yes, it was true, but there was no way for them to really know that.

That's just three right off the top of my head.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The thing that makes me shake my head right now is that libs seem to suddenly be interested in the movie "1984" and are flocking to theaters to watch it and commiserate on life under the Trump Regime.

You IDIOTS don't seem to realize or care that YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT has been running a "1984" style operation on you for the past 8 years (and God knows how long before that), and you didn't make a peep! Mad

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The thing that makes me shake my head right now is that libs ...

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "libs" or conservatives.

Not everything is political.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
The thing that makes me shake my head right now is that libs ...

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "libs" or conservatives.

Not everything is political.

Umm. Yes. yes it is.

Movie Theaters To Screen 1984 To Protest Trump

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Umm. Yes. yes it is.
Cut it out.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Umm. Yes. yes it is.
Cut it out.

Yes sir.

Sorry.