SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone not use a microwave oven because of...microwaves?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone not use a microwave oven because of...microwaves? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The problem with nuking is what the food is in. Plastics containing BPA and phthalates (enodocrine disrupting chemicals), when heated, will leach these chemicals into/onto your food. Some even argue that dioxin is released. There is plenty of evidence (both factual and anecdotal) that these chemicals are at least in part responsible for the rise in rates of many of the maladies that seem so common today vs. those same rates 50+ years ago.

I figure that until they can disprove this, it costs me nothing to do it the old-fashioned way and IMO things taste better that way anyway.

My microwave use has dropped to the point where I'm considering getting rid of it altogether. I rarely use it and when I do it is only when the food/liquid is in a glass container.

The convenience is kind of nice but mom and grandma were able to reheat things just fine without one and so can I.

And, regarding GMOs, the problem is not so much the food itself, it is the fact that many of these crops are being engineered to resist herbicides. Thus, tons more herbicides are being used and these chemicals will reach you. Pour yourself a glass of Roundup and enjoy.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
The same BS worries about microwaves that has no decent scientific basis. There is more cancer today because people are lazy and eat shit with more chemicals in it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
It is a physical reality. The microwave frequency is out of phase with the dimension of the universe where the world is flat.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a reason people with pacemakers should not be anywhere near household microwave ovens. Nowhere near.

Many years ago a vet (Air Force, IIRC) came to my office seeking assistance. He was working outside on one of those dishes when suddenly his buddy, without fault, switched it on. Good men, good servicemen both. Highly unfortunate incident.

He received a burst that left him neurologically impaired for life. Lucky it didn't kill him.

Of course, apples to oranges. But when I turn my microwave on, that's when I know it's time to go outside and smoke a cigarette.

Yes, after years of denials by the bureaucracy, he finally received his due. I referred him to the exact person that could help him get it.

Perhaps I'm being too cautious around microwaves. The way I see it, if I can't see the microwaves I can't feel where they are going. Or what they are doing. Without the appropriate instrumentation.

YMMV, of course.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I only microwave items in glass or ceramic because of the heat applied to the plastics.

Microwave radiation is nothing more than RF electromagnetism. Heck, a fire place emits radiation in the form of photons that will kill you in the right dosage.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
We have not had a microwave since we moved into our new home a few years ago. When we remodeled the home we gutted the kitchen and installed a steam oven in place of the traditional microwave. Rather than boiling off the liquid in food like a microwave, it uses steam and convection to reheat food. The results are not even close, the reheated food is far superior from the steam oven.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Microwaves have Electrolytes.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Of course, apples to oranges. But when I turn my microwave on, that's when I know it's time to go outside and smoke a cigarette. ...

YMMV, of course.

Way to take a positive step towards a healthier life. Big Grin

I rarely use it. Mostly to melt butter. Toaster oven, pot, oven, all work better.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
There is a reason people with pacemakers should not be anywhere near household microwave ovens. Nowhere near.

No need to be so overly dramatic....or paranoid. Don't hug it, you'll be fine.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of a steam oven, just looked them up. Pretty neat.

I don't currently own a microwave. I really have no use for one. Everything I have ever cooked or re-heated just does not taste that appetizing to me. The only thing I ever used it for was heating up water for hot coco or tea. Now I just boil some in a pot, takes a few minutes.

I remember when we got our first science oven, had to be around '83 or so. It was big and loud, and we were told never to use it when my grandmother was visiting because of her pacemaker. I'm sure technology has advanced by now, but I'm going to look into this steam oven thing.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Way to take a positive step towards a healthier life. Big Grin

Kindly allow me a couple of months to try to rationalize it.

I just might come up with some hard, concrete logic and excuses. As a complement to the rationalization.

Big Grin

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
It is a physical reality. The microwave frequency is out of phase with the dimension of the universe where the world is flat.

You haven't been microwaving your bananas, have you? That'll make Mr Monkey howl at the moon.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I use our microwave oven quite frequently, in fact I just warmed up a cup of this mornings coffee in it. I mostly use it for frozen prepared food such as sandwich's, TV dinners, left overs.

No ill effects here from it (twitch) (twitch). Wink

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
There is more cancer today because people are lazy and eat shit with more chemicals in it.

More people die of cancer because fewer die of other things. Eventually, you've gotta die of something.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I just installed a turbo encabulator instead. Way more efficient way to heat up food without the negative side effects.

Cant find the video, maybe simeone can link....

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
True fact: Pick up a spent bullet at the range or a bit of lead frag, put it in the microwave long enough and it will turn to GOLD! Unfortunately, the impurities mixed in with the pure lead turn to plutonium and that’s one of the most toxic substances known. When something is “nuked” in a microwave oven, the atomic structure of the food is changed in the same way, and those bacon molecules? Strychnine. Overlook an ant or some small insect, and—presto, changeo: Blue Mountains funnel-web spider. Truth. Roll Eyes

Some hilarious stuff comes out whenever subjects like this are discussed. If one is concerned about electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range, then why not all the other radio frequency radiation? We’re surrounded by it. If we’re concerned about what it does to the food we eat, how about what it does to our brains‽ How many of us spend hours with radio transmitters (cell phones) screwed into our ears? (And remember, boys and girls, they transmit even when we’re not talking on them, and that doesn’t begin to consider all the other phones and transmitter sites all around us that make it possible to use our phones.)

If we have a Wi-Fi link in our home or workplace or at the coffee shop where we check our emails, or …, then it’s not just radio frequency energy we’re bathed in, but at the same frequency as produced by the microwave oven we fear so much. Yes, all those various radio transmitters produce much less power than a microwave oven, but my computers can still pick them up from blocks away and they’re everywhere and operate continuously. If we live in many parts of the country with exposed rock like granite, we’re also exposed to real nuclear radiation from the natural decay of radioactive isotopes. And don’t get me started about the extra radiation that those of us who live or work (e.g., flyers) at high altitudes get zapped with.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
If we live in many parts of the country with exposed rock like granite, we’re also exposed to real nuclear radiation from the natural decay of radioactive isotopes.

So, you're saying that my granite counter tops are killing me?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I haven't owned one in years, but not for those reasons.

I just hate the effect it has on the texture of most foods, if you use it on anything and other than low settings, and if you use the low settings then it's no faster than anything else, so...

I had noticed (before getting rid of it) that I basically only ever boiled water or partially thawed something in it, so I ditched it and never looked back. Doubt I'll own one again.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
No.

IMO, food tastes better reheated in the manner similar to how it was originally cooked. Reheating grilled/baked food in an oven until it hits desired temperature produces much better tasting leftovers than:
  • food reheated to time (good way to take the meat to dry as hell temps). For example, reheat leftover steak and you'll likely end up with well done, dry tasteless steak instead of preferred doneness (in my case, medium rare).
  • a food that should have a texture/crunchiness reheated in a manner that steams it (e.g. microwave with reynolds wrap).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Freethinker
    Picture of sigfreund
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fenris:
    So, you're saying that my granite counter tops are killing me?

A little, maybe.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
    — Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post