SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone not use a microwave oven because of...microwaves?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone not use a microwave oven because of...microwaves? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
A friend of mine recently told me that she has not used a microwave in over 10 years. She quoted numerous studies that say microwaves change the molecular makeup of the food, and those changes have been tied to an increase in autism and other assorted horrible things.

I've Googled a bit...the more the FDA says "within safe standards" the more nervous I get. LOL

Any opinions?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I avoid microwaves for most foods just because I don't think it tastes as good as other cooking methods. But not for the reasons in your post, no.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
The chili I make tastes even better when I reheat it a couple of days later in the microwave.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Microwaves are positive waves, and they neutralize any negative waves you might have picked up during the week, fighting the Germans, or working on the tank or worrying about the bridge, so knock it off with all them negative waves, man.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
It's one of those modern conveniences that I use constantly. I am always nuking something. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I don’t have one at home but I used one for years. I’m skeptical and have just gotten used to using a Breville toaster oven to heat things up. I do wonder why illnesses like cancer seem more widespread today, when I was younger I only recall one person throughout my childhood that I knew personally that had it. I know numerous people now that have it and I wonder what the cause is. Maybe I just knew fewer people when I was younger. On a similar note I think our excessive use of sugar is correlated to many medical problems. Obviously diabetes but I think heart disease is caused by sugar too.

I gues it cant hurt me to not be using a microwave or to limit my sugar intake even if they ultimately dont cause any health issues.

Posts: 4099 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
If you have ten people out of 100 that have a particular condition that is a 10% affliction.
Increase that to 1000, a 10% is now 100 affected. Looking at that, numbers have increased due to population increase.

This could apply to disease, obesity, violence,mental conditions, at least in my view. Now clusters that break out in a particular geographic area, there definitely can and is a cause and effect correlation.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
True story here. Really. Kind of a classic, but you if you knew this guy you would believe it. Actually, he is a member here although he rarely visits to read, and never posts anything.

The story: Years ago, he bought a house that had a microwave installed under a kitchen cabinet. Older house, he did not know how old the microwave oven was. He wanted to know whether there were any leaks in the door seal, so he went to Radio Shack and bought a detector thingy.

He put a small bowl of water in the oven, set it to high power, and proceeded to run the detector around the edges of the door.

The meter on the detector showed zero. The needle did not even quiver.

Now, this guy is not ignorant with respect to tech stuff: I first met him in 1956 when we were both trainees in the Navy's guided missile school, and after the Navy service he returned to AT&T, long lines division, where he maintained electronic stuff.

His conclusion, when the meter did not register anything, was that there were two possibilities:
  1. The door seals on the microwave were really good, and no radiation was escaping at all, or

2. The meter was defective and not registering anything at all.
He decided to test the meter. He put it in the microwave, set the oven to the lowest setting, set the timer for a few seconds, and observed through the window in the microwave door while he pressed the start button.

Well, you guys, like Skins, who work with electrical and electronic stuff, understand that what makes circuitry work is the smoke that is contained in the components under high pressure. If a leak develops and the smoke gets out, the thing stops working.

The radiation detector stopped working when the smoke leaked out.

Our dauntless friend had the chutzpah to take the detector back to Radio Shack. "It's defective," he told them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many people believe many things. They often gather after midnight on Coast to Coast.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I haven’t used the microwave in our house in many years. I see no compelling reason to and prefer a more “natural” method to reheat food... in the oven or on the range. I’ll occassionally use one at work where I don’t have other options.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Changes the molecular makeup of food! Yeah, it boils the damn water off!

Bet she avoids GMO food substances too.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, I worked in a radio/TV repair shop for a guy that had been a radar maintenance tech in Korea. Very cold winters. He said that putting his hands over the edge of the radar reflector dish was the best way in the world of getting them warm. He lived to a ripe old age.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
... microwaves change the molecular makeup of the food, and those changes have been tied to an increase in autism and other assorted horrible things.

Roll Eyes

All the microwaves do is excite the water molecules, creating heat from within. Nothing else.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cousin Eddie had problems with a microwave

Every time Katherine would run the microwave, I’d piss my pants and forget who I was for a half-hour or so.”

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And don't forget- The Nazis invented the microwave oven.......

Does she use a cell phone? To be afraid of a microwave and still put a cell phone to your head is conflicting to say the least.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It is a physical reality. The microwave frequency is out of phase with the dimension of the universe where the world is flat.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I wear an aluminum foil hat so I am GTG. Big Grin

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
invented by a Raytheon engineer who's candy bar melted while working on radar

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
It is a physical reality. The microwave frequency is out of phase with the dimension of the universe where the world is flat.

Now this is truly scary!!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post