SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Re: expired inspection stickers on rent cars...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: expired inspection stickers on rent cars... Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
Retired LEO pointed out that the inspection sticker on the rental car I was driving had expired 41 days ago. He added that officers working traffic would issue me a citation even though it is a rent car. He should know, his wife had just retired after 32 years on the bench.
The car rental company insisted that they are given certain latitude in cases like this.
Is that so after 41 days passed expiration? I have a feeling I would have a ticket to pay without reimbursement from the rental agency in any case.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Guessing this wasn't in TX like your profile says?
Since we've gone to a single sticker now & inspection is tied to the registration.

Edit: Unless you meant expired registration.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15152 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send an email to CEO of rental company. Go from there

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’m in Texas and have just turned the car in without incident. It would be nice to know how LEOs deal with expired stickers on rental cars just in case the last available car on the lot is way past the 4 or 5 day grace period. The assurances of some clerk at the rental agency may not be enough to protect me from a revenue enhancement minded traffic cop. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Travel a lot so it's something I check and typically refuse - although the 2 times it happened to me the actual tags were expired by a couple days.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a clear answer for you. But it also happened to me a few months ago. Was meeting my wife In Asheville NC and since she already had her car there I got a one-way rental. 6 hour drive and when I went to turn it in noticed the tag was expired by 2 months. The guy at the desk was not happy and apologized. Not sure what would have happened if I had received a citation.
Bottom line, I put that in my cross-check now when I rent a car. Always check it! It was Enterprise that I rented from.
Maybe one of the LE folks can give us a good answer.

Posts: 724 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking only for me, I would not write anyone for this, as long as all the other paperwork was ok. Most people when renting dont even look at the registration when they pick up the car and the rental companies DGAF about letting customers rent them out with expired documents.
I was never that desperate for a pinch.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rent with Mississippi plates. We eliminated safety inspection stickers several years back.

Slight thread drift. If renting in Colorado, check the rental for leftover weed. People driving into Nebraska have found this out the hard way.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was a cop, I never wrote for an expired tag that wasn’t six months out or more....

Inspections, I treated them the same way, but we couldn’t see the inspection info unless you ran the tag because they did away with the inspection sticker thing to save money a decade ago....

If i had stopped you for something and found out your rental car was a few days out of inspection, I’ve got enough sense to know you are not the guy who deals with the registration cause it’s a rental...nor would I write you for it...even if you were a dick

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
It belongs to the rental company, not the DRIVER.

These companies are usually large corporations with offices and cars flung all over the place.

Any LEO ticketing a driver for this should be ashamed of himself. On the job this would be the very definition of a "chicken shit violation".

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Speaking only for me, I would not write anyone for this, as long as all the other paperwork was ok. Most people when renting dont even look at the registration when they pick up the car and the rental companies DGAF about letting customers rent them out with expired documents. I was never that desperate for a pinch.
25 years ago (more or less) I was teaching a course in a suburb just north of Chicago. I had flown in and landed the V-Tail at Palwaukee airport, rented a Hertz car there. Had dinner at a restaurant, pulled out of the parking lot and had not gone 100 yards when a cop lit me up from behind.

WTF? I definitely was not speeding, had just exited the parking lot, had not blown a stop sign nor a traffic light, could not figure out why he stopped me. Ah, a burned out tail lamp. He started writing, I said "I hope you're writing that ticket to Hertz."

"Hertz isn't driving, you are," said he.

I signed for the ticket, stuck it in my pocket, then politely asked him to call his supervisor to the scene before he left. One of his lights was out. He gave me a look that clearly said "up yours," and drove off. I did not follow up, but I should have.

When I returned the car to Hertz, I told them to deduct the amount of the mail-in fine from the rental charge, which they did, and I paid the fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I have given countless citations during my career, and many of those were for expired inspection and registration. However, I don’t think I would have ever given one to a driver of a rental car.

I took my grandmother’s car to go pick up my niece at school back when I was a teenager, and I got stopped for an expired inspection sticker. I got cited even after explaining that I only used the car since it was parked behind mine in the driveway.

That officer gave the usual response that I’m responsible for all of the regulations while operating a vehicle, and that my signature on my DL was my contract to that fact.

I would use a similar speech during my years, but even so, a renter would get a break for obvious reasons.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Chicken shit cop (Barney Fife comes to mind) that would write a customer up for that.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
He added that officers working traffic would issue me a citation even though it is a rent car.

Isn't there real crime happening somewhere? Roll Eyes

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
About 10-15 years ago I was pulled over in Shillington, PA (near Reading) for expired inspection sticker on a rental. Cop looked at the paperwork (verified I was actually renting, I suppose), and let me go.

Can't argue with him pulling me over, and I can't argue about the outcome either.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Clearly none of you guys are from NJ. They do some crazy shit there when they see an expired inspection sticker. (I lived in NJ until I was 21).

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I don’t know a cop down here that would ever issue a citation for an expired inspection ON A RENTAL CAR. That’s entirely out of the control of the renter, and thus, not their fault, and ANY cop that issues such citation should retire immediately. That’s a horse shit citation and indefensible. I’ve pulled over plenty of rental cars and if it was a problem on the registration or a brake light out, I sure as shit didn’t cite the renter for that.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I used to work at a major rental car company in the early 2000s, its a pain to get the registration to catch up to the car. They get rented, usually people on both sides of the counter don't notice. That rental car company (and I assume most others) calculate their location profit by occupancy, they want every car on the road, not sitting in the parking lot not earning $. As such, there are usually shortages of cars and whats the odds 1) anyone would notice, 2) anyone would get stopped for it, 3) anyone would get a ticket for it. No CEO or even manager or regional manager would care if you emailed about it, worst thing is you could give them a bad customer satisfaction review afterwards, which is usually another metric of location success, but $$$ is most important.

It would be very unfortunate if you were running hookers, blow, or just plain drunk in a rental car with expired tags and that was the pretext for stopping you though.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
You should of told him you were a sovereign citizen. Big Grin

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post