SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for advise on a new portable compressor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for advise on a new portable compressor Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
Since Sig forum braintrust is so extensive I thought I’d reach out for some advise.

My old Porter Cable 150 psi portable compressor has given up the ghost according to my small appliance guy. He said it would be more expensive to repair it then replace it.

What do you recommend for home use? This will mainly be used for keeping air in our vehicle tires.

I have a 60 gallon compressor at my shop (2 miles away) but The convenience of keeping one in the garage is beyond measure.

Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I did a search but didn’t see that...

Looks like there are a lot of options without any clear preference...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Depends on your needs. If it is for the vehicle tires, a 12 volt unit is handy since you can take it with you.

Some are too small volume wise and take too long to air up the tire. Truck and trailer tires may need 60 psi so that can be a requirement as well.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Try Lowes -- the one I bought keeps air in the tires AND enough to run (slowly at time) my air tools.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Porter Cable pancake going on 15+ Yrs with excellent service.
Its a monster, in capacity and weight.

Today, I'd be looking at the DeWalt cordless pancake. Two main reasons, cordless and weight.

Another nice tool, is the Schumaker battery jump start box with air compressor.
Compressor, battery jump, USB charging ports, cigar port, 120 volt inverter.
Set the air pressure and it automatically stops at the setting.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumac...a-584981232865&psc=1

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Sorry, I did a search but didn’t see that...

Looks like there are a lot of options without any clear preference...

I have a porter cable pancake compressor oiless that I've had for several years and have put it through it's paces and have been happy with it. To be honest, the Harbor Freight one looks identical to it right down to the color and is $60.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for tires, why bother with a tank. I have an earlier version of this. 12v or 120v. Great for trips.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I’ve researched them in the recent past. If I wanted a smaller, portable compressor I think I’d go with something from California Air Tools. For something larger, for the garage: Ingersoll Rand.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I keep a Lowes 150psi hot dog (two small tanks)in my RV to keep the tires to spec. Also use it for the air nailer and other air tools. A lot of folks in the RV community have the same one and all have reported excellent service. I have loaned mine out to other folks to top off their tires as well so it has a fair number of hours on it. Not too heavy.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Check the local pawn shops and you'll likely find a like new PC pancake for less than half the price of a new one. Single use equipment many times gets pawned and can be bought cheap.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California air tools, very quiet and builds pressure quickly. Did I mention it is quiet?
Will run small air tools well.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Just found out that my compressor is indeed toast.
I ordered the California air compressor.

Thanks everyone!

------------------
Eddie