SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The end of the line for the Boeing 747...
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The end of the line for the Boeing 747... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My brother flies for UPS and told me they were buying some 747s.

Posts: 186 | Location: Canyon Lake, TX | Registered: December 22, 2008Report This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm skeptical they'll even get built as originally proposed. I bet Trump downsizes them to a 777 or something.

quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
My estimate is that the new AF1 747s will be the last ones of the run.

If he wanted to be a real badass he would have them mildly convert a couple of B-52's.

Oh... the liberal heads that would explode

Posts: 3981 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Report This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Never flown or been on a 747. Always wanted to but never had the chance.

Dating myself a bit here but my sister & I flew across the country as kids several times in the mid 70's. I remember getting on the first L-1011 I'd ever seen and having an entire center row to myself. A couple of times the return trip to Phoenix had 20-30 passengers on it.

Mark

Posts: 3981 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
quote:
The A340 was a flop

I Can't speak to the economics of the 4 engine A340 but I flew it many times from Newark to Singapore and back when Singapore Airlines operated an 18 hour non-stop on this route. Great plane, especially when SQ went to an all business class on the route.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I always wanted to fly in one. I spent 13 years traveling and accumulated over a million air miles, a good amount of which were overseas, and still never took a trip in a 747.

I don't think Delta had a bunch. I remember looking one time in the in-flight magazine and they didn't have any 747 variants listed at all. I know they got some when they acquired Northwest but I have no idea how many or where they flew to. I do not recall ever seeing a Delta 747 at ATL.

DL also had them back in the beginning. Also from the Pan Am aquisition too IIRC. The quickly rolled them into the L-1011 fleet.

So was there a time when they did not have any? It would have been early 2000's when I tried to find a route with a 747 and couldn't. When I looked at their in-flight mag in the back where they list all the different types of planes they had there were no 747s listed.

Not that it matters, just that after seeing that I figured Delta didn't own any and gave up looking. After they acquired NWA I knew they got some but there was never one being flown on a route I was going. I guess I always thought I would get a chance to fly in one one day.

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 11977 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm skeptical they'll even get built as originally proposed. I bet Trump downsizes them to a 777 or something.

quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
My estimate is that the new AF1 747s will be the last ones of the run.

Most likely would be a mistake.

You have all the crew, security (and their gear), a secure coms compartment, meeting room, room for guests, food, stairs to unimproved airports, the escape pod, etc. Wink The list goes, that is a lot of crap. I think a 747 sized aircraft might be what the President needs.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I always wanted to fly in one. I spent 13 years traveling and accumulated over a million air miles, a good amount of which were overseas, and still never took a trip in a 747.

I don't think Delta had a bunch. I remember looking one time in the in-flight magazine and they didn't have any 747 variants listed at all. I know they got some when they acquired Northwest but I have no idea how many or where they flew to. I do not recall ever seeing a Delta 747 at ATL.

DL also had them back in the beginning. Also from the Pan Am aquisition too IIRC. The quickly rolled them into the L-1011 fleet.

So was there a time when they did not have any? It would have been early 2000's when I tried to find a route with a 747 and couldn't. When I looked at their in-flight mag in the back where they list all the different types of planes they had there were no 747s listed.

Not that it matters, just that after seeing that I figured Delta didn't own any and gave up looking. After they acquired NWA I knew they got some but there was never one being flown on a route I was going. I guess I always thought I would get a chance to fly in one one day.

Except for in the 1970s, Delta never had 747s. They only got their current 747s when they acquired Northwest Airlines in 2008 IIRC.

Also I don't believe they got any 747s when they bought PanAm. Delta only bought a portion of PanAm that they thought was worth anything, mostly gates and routes. I believe they bought less than half of PanAm's planes.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift, but I liked the looks of and flying on the 727.

Posts: 6736 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
The last time I flew the common carriers were DC10s or the phasing out 727s.

My first flight was DC3 celebrating the 50th anniversary of flights. We had to dress up in suit & shined shoes....pretty Big Deal for a 2nd grader.

Posts: 7288 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My father worked for United all his life (machinist). I was 12 years old when he took the entire family to the UAL maintenance hangar at SFO to see the new airliner that was so big it had an upstairs lounge. Took many a first class passage to Hawaii (United's "Royal Pacific Service") under employee standby.

Posts: 10365 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Report This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Sad to see these go by the wayside. I flew back and forth to Europe many times on these, my most memorable flights were "upstairs" on a Swiss Air route from Zurich to Boston. Loved those flights!

My first flight on a 767 was Boston to Paris, the amazing thing was there were only 87 passengers on that flight, we got to pick a seat wherever we wanted...I rushed to first class Big Grin

My interests...Guns, Motorcycles, Women...not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 2027 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
Technology marches on

Posts: 17260 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45_Auto:
My first flight on a 767 was Boston to Paris, the amazing thing was there were only 87 passengers on that flight, we got to pick a seat wherever we wanted...I rushed to first class Big Grin

Some airlines are talking about using the new 737s to feed some small Trans-Atlantic routes.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

Some airlines are talking about using the new 737s to feed some small Trans-Atlantic routes.

They already are. Ive seen Norwegian 737s in JFK and British Airways has a run from both JFK and BOS to City Center. The BA flight is a A319.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10014 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

They already are. Ive seen Norwegian 737s in JFK and British Airways has a run from both JFK and BOS to City Center. The BA flight is a A319.

Hmmm the convenience of landing at London City Airport or a larger airplane and the train ride to London.

Thankfully that isn't a decision I have to make, due to my proximity to Orlando.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I flew on one (747) so long ago I was in uniform and got bumped to first class because the co-pilot saw me and was a former Marine. It was upstairs in the lounge.

Not withstanding good times of 1971 this pains me, from the OP :...The Chicago-based planemaker".

Oh well Razz

Posts: 5127 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I flew only once on a 747, on a return business trip from Hawaii to SFO, I selected that flight just so I could say I did it once.

We have a friend who is with a flight crew twice a month from SFO to Tokyo on a Boeing 787, says it is quite nice.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 28175 | Location: CA | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
A neighbor and friend was one of the line/flight mechanics on the 747 during it's test flights at boeing. Pretty amazing history, a good plane. I've worked a few myself...but never had to do much beyond basic servicing and minor inspections.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagon, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.GreatLandMissions.org
www.GLVS.org

Posts: 12593 | Location: On the Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Report This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I flew one from Chicago to Vegas one time. Huge plane, boarded from two locations on the plane, still took longer than a normal plane to finish boarding.

An impressive aircraft.

Posts: 638 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
...We have a friend who is with a flight crew twice a month from SFO to Tokyo on a Boeing 787, says it is quite nice.

SFO to Osaka (the old airport) used to be a 747, I took it many times during the four years I was assigned to Japan.

Posts: 12203 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post