SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yellow jackets *UPDATE - Orig. Post*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellow jackets *UPDATE - Orig. Post* Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I got nailed on the left shoulder blade by one when cutting a tree this afternoon.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Found a nest this morning when I was cutting my yard.

Little bastards

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
These tiny monsters seem even more insane this time of year. Do they die during the winter months or is that hopeful thinking?

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know but I get endless hours of fun pursuing them in my back yard armed with my pellet pistol. It's fun to watch their 'hive mates' come in for the kill on a wounded individual.

Posts: 297 | Location: Ogden, UT | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
If you have nests in the ground run a lawn tractor over your yard, that's how I found mine.

Neel is correct. I found the last three yellow jacket nests by running over them with my
48" Exmark walk-behind mower. Good times.... I had to get a shot after the last two, I may
have had to get a shot after all three (don't remember.....I think yellow jacket stings cause
memory loss.... Eek Big Grin)
Mowing is how I usually find them, unfortunately. On the plus side, they've taught me how to run and dance at the same time, so I've got that going for me. Probably looks like a spastic rendition of West Side Story.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Interesting info about yellow jackets and insect control. I always love to watch the BLACK jackets-if you see one hanging around, try to swat a fly to stun it, then lay it on a log (or step, or whatever is convenient to the black jack's flight path), and wait.

The black jacket will swoop in, hover over the fly, and scoop it up to carry off! Love those guys- imhe, very nonagressive, and mildy entertaining if you have a bunch of houseflies hanging around. I've had one black jack return to the same spot to collect the sacrificial fly up to 6 times in a 2 hour period (I named him George- he kept me busy all afternoon killing flies to feed him that camping trip).

But I hate yellow jackets. Never had a nest I left that didn't turn into more trouble for me, so, F them.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
For holes in the ground I use a chainsaw mix of oil and gas. Gas lights it quick, oil burns awhile. Done, and finished after about 10 minutes.
I just had some in my eaves.. got small step ladder, threw some Sevin around hole. Gone within 2 days. I hate those bastards.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My wife had some gourds hanging in trees around our front yard, and a couple years ago a bunch of yellow jackets decided to make one of them their home. I found this out as I was mowing and bumped the gourd as I passed by.
I couldn't get any bee killer into the hole in the gourd the way it was turned, so I went nuclear on the bastards. I broke out my 12 gauge, loaded up a couple rounds of 6 shot and blasted the gourd from about 50 feet. Pieces of white gourd flew for 50 yards down through the yard, but I didn't have a single yellow jacket survive it as far as I could tell.
It was damned satisfying too. Cool

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
sorry

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
sorry

Likewise

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post