SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yellow jackets *UPDATE - Orig. Post*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellow jackets *UPDATE - Orig. Post* Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
My son's back yard is covered in them. Pest control people have not been able to locate any nests and his four kids cannot go into the yard for fear of stings.

Everything I have read about elimination leads to finding the nest. Any ideas about how to deal with them if the nest cannot be found? Traps are out and working so far, but there are a lot still buzzing around.

Thanks,

RMD

After some investigation is appears that these may well be ground bees instead of the Devil's spawn Yellow Jacket. Investigation continues. thanks for the sympathy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might need to suit up for sting protection and find their nest. Yellow jackets are ground dwellers. They will have a hole somewhere.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
This is high time of the year for them, lots around here too. We have apples & pears, which attracts them when they are ripe.

I have at least a few 'bee holes' out that I know about. I'll get to them on a cool morning.

If these wasps live locally, you should be able to find a nest, by observing. If they are just passing by, I'd leave them alone.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
https://www.orkin.com/stinging-pests/yellow-jackets/

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
They are very common in my area. Their sting really wrecks havoc on me, more than any other stinging insect sans Bell Hornets.

When you find the hole where their nest is, AT NIGHT! , stick a plastic pop bottle filled with gas into that entrance hole.

Natually, pouring gas in that hole during the day is useless, as they sre out gathering food..and stinging us SOB's!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Track them down and kill them with extreme prejudice.

I got stung 15 times at once last week. 6 on my head/face.

Not a fan of the bastards.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
BIFEN.

Go to some nearby chemical distubutor and get thee a gallon....I buy mine at Southern States... I mix it twice the strength for wasps...

Nuke it from orbit

or you can get some 30% permethrin and wear them out too....it's a nerve agent and they will fall to the ground stinging the earth before they die kinda stuff....it's good stuff!!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
My son's back yard is covered in them. Pest control people have not been able to locate any nests and his four kids cannot go into the yard for fear of stings.

Everything I have read about elimination leads to finding the nest. Any ideas about how to deal with them if the nest cannot be found? Traps are out and working so far, but there are a lot still buzzing around.

Thanks,

RMD

They are typically ground dwelling but be sure that they will nest just about anywhere they can. Maybe check the eaves of the roof, tree stumps, under loose siding, and woodpiles too. The problem may not be his yard if he has neighbors. These things don't view property boundaries the way we do Wink Good luck to your son.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
As someone said, just sit and watch. They spend a lot of time running back and forth to their hive right about now.
Pretty soon you'll see a pattern of traffic and that will lead you to the hive.

I've had yellow jackets in my yards for years, and typically, for me, they build the hive under the eaves of my roof.
This year they got under the flashing and we had to call a pro in. We also have some very tempting flowers in our yard, a purple parsnip, that draws them like mad in the fall. They just get more aggressive as fall wears on, so it's best to sit and watch so you can find and eradicate that nest soon.. good luck.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I find nests everywhere, the eaves of my well shack, my house, I got tagged when I was looking at the manure in my trailer. They built a nest under the lip.

Last week I lifted the top on my 250 gal propane tank to check fuel and found a very large nest, I backed away before I got nailed.

If you have nests in the ground run a lawn tractor over your yard, that's how I found mine.

If you can be around the yard at sunset you might see them returning to their nests.

Eradication is best done at night when they're all cozed up for the night.

This is what I use to kill nests when I find them. It sprays a good eight feet.
wasp killer

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually find their nests while I'm riding the mower. Mark the spot. Wait till dark. Come back pour some gas or kerosene in there and light it!

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
If you have nests in the ground run a lawn tractor over your yard, that's how I found mine.

Neel is correct. I found the last three yellow jacket nests by running over them with my
48" Exmark walk-behind mower. Good times.... I had to get a shot after the last two, I may
have had to get a shot after all three (don't remember.....I think yellow jacket stings cause
memory loss.... Eek Big Grin)

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was weed whipping last year, late Summer. As I was near a tree I got stung twice all of a sudden. All I could do was set the whipper down & RUN.

After things settled I came back to check, there was a very active 'bee hole' next to the tree. It had been covered by the medium height grass.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
As someone said, just sit and watch. They spend a lot of time running back and forth to their hive right about now.
Pretty soon you'll see a pattern of traffic and that will lead you to the hive.

I've had yellow jackets in my yards for years, and typically, for me, they build the hive under the eaves of my roof.
This year they got under the flashing and we had to call a pro in. We also have some very tempting flowers in our yard, a purple parsnip, that draws them like mad in the fall. They just get more aggressive as fall wears on, so it's best to sit and watch so you can find and eradicate that nest soon.. good luck.

Yes if you watch in early morning you can see them come to the flowers. We see their nests under logs, at the base of trees, in bushes, inside tubes on farm equipment, etc. In the winter the armadillos find and dig up the nests to get the larvae. I am always impressed with the number and the size of the remains of some of the nests they have dug up

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The easiest way to find the nest is to go out right about sunset (whenever the outside air starts cooling) and watch where the the YJ's are starting to congregate. As it gets cooler, it begans to look like the Atlanta airport with only a couple of runways to land on. Once you find the hole in the ground (or tree or wherever), pitch a white rag close to it and come back after dark, with their go-to-sleep cocktail of gasoline.

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Move.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
This article is part of our Organic Pest Control Series, which includes articles on attracting beneficial insects, controlling specific garden pests, and using organic pesticides.

The Yellow Jacket Wasp (Vespidae)
Yellow jacket wasps make irritating company at summer picnics, but they are extremely welcome visitors in the garden. These bright yellow-and-black striped wasps are slick and slender compared with honeybees, and are more likely to be found hunting among foliage than visiting flowers during the first half of summer. The food demands of growing yellow jacket colonies are so great that it has been estimated that more than 2 pounds of insects may be removed from a 2,000-square-foot garden by yellow jackets.

The benefits of yellow jackets come at a cost, because yellow jackets become dangerously aggressive when their nest is threatened. Nests are easiest to locate on warm summer mornings or evenings by carefully scanning the landscape for insects shooting up out of the ground. After you have located yellow jacket nests, decide whether they will stay or go. To neutralize a nest without using pesticides, cover the entry hole with a large translucent bowl or other cover, held in place with a brick. Be sure to approach yellow jacket nests at night, when the yellow jackets are at rest. Use flags or other markers to mark the locations of nests in acceptable places. Yellow jackets typically build new nests each year. Sometimes new yellow jacket nests appear in midsummer after old ones are damaged by foxes or other predators.

What Do Yellow Jackets Eat?
Yellow jackets wasps feed their young liquefied insects, with caterpillars, flies and spiders comprising the largest food groups in the yellow jacket diet during most of the summer. In late summer, yellow jackets start looking for flower nectar and other sources of sugar, which are necessary nutrients for the next season’s queens. Meanwhile, fewer young are being raised in the nests, which leaves many individuals with little to do. At this point yellow jackets become an obnoxious presence outdoors, whether they are trying to steal your sandwich or swarming over apple cores in your compost.

Simply allowing selected nests to remain in place is all you must do to receive free pest control service from yellow jackets. Coexisting peacefully with yellow jackets is another issue, especially if you grow tree fruits. Yellow jackets eagerly feed on fallen apples, pears and other fruits, so wear a light glove when cleaning up the orchard. Bury fruit waste beneath 2 inches of soil, or establish a fruit waste compost pile far from your house, where the yellow jackets can eat their fill.

You can use passive traps made from soda bottles to trap yellow jackets lurking on your deck or patio starting in early fall, should they be a problem. Most of these individuals will die of natural causes before the beginning of winter, so you have little to lose by trapping them.

link

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
The benefits of yellow jackets come at a cost, because yellow jackets become dangerously aggressive when their nest is threatened. Nests are easiest to locate on warm summer mornings or evenings by carefully scanning the landscape for insects shooting up out of the ground. After you have located yellow jacket nests, decide whether they will stay or go. To neutralize a nest without using pesticides, cover the entry hole with a large translucent bowl or other cover, held in place with a brick. Be sure to approach yellow jacket nests at night, when the yellow jackets are at rest. Use flags or other markers to mark the locations of nests in acceptable places. Yellow jackets typically build new nests each year. Sometimes new yellow jacket nests appear in midsummer after old ones are damaged by foxes or other predators.

This is exactly how I find them. The only thing I do differently, is use Spectricide foaming Yellow Jacket spray can (Home Depot).
Go out at night after dark and quietly approach the hole and spray directly into the hole. Wait 5-10 minutes and repeat. You will use at least 1/2 can or more on each nest. End of that nest.
Continue to look for more for a few days until you find the other nests and repeat.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
About 2 months ago I noticed one in my backyard where the lawn ends and the brush starts. It was 4-5 feet away from the edge of the lawn. They weren't bothering us and the lawnmower didn't seem to agitate them, so I left it alone. Now, they are just gone.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
This is high time of the year for them, lots around here too. We have apples & pears, which attracts them when they are ripe.

I have at least a few 'bee holes' out that I know about. I'll get to them on a cool morning.

If these wasps live locally, you should be able to find a nest, by observing. If they are just passing by, I'd leave them alone.

I nave found that the best way to deal with them is to locate the holes (nests) and then pour some gasoline into the hole and light it off.

Some years ago I walked into one of them and got stung several times before I knew what was happening. Used the method above and got rid of that nest. Found another one about 50 yards away and did the same with it. Have not had a problem since.

Did have a couple problems with what we called paper wasps. But they were easy to handle. One of those bug bombs that sprays 15 feet, soak the nest real well and wait until they are all dead.

AIR, I waited until the next day to tear the nest down.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post