SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Miracle heart valve replacement surgery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Miracle heart valve replacement surgery Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
First a disclaimer that some details of this could be in error, since I have no medical background.

A friend's 77 year old dad had no problems but screening found a bad aortic heart valve. His condition luckily got him into a study, I think comparing common sternum splitting heart valve replacement to a procedure done through femoral artery. As part of the study, he wasn't sure which type of surgery he would have until close to when it was done. This type of valve replacement is mainly targeted towards high risk patients who may not fare well with regular heat valve surgery. He was not in the high risk category as he's in pretty good shape, but was chosen for it anyway.

He had it done at 9 AM Wednesday, and went home Thursday afternoon. I was at his daughter's house last night (Friday night) when he brought her a birthday card. He was driven by his wife but walked in just fine, in good spirits, without pain and taking no pain medications. He also had a pacemaker installed in his neck. He claimed no pain beyond needle sticks from IVs.

He said the valve was part metal and part pig tissue and collapses to around 1/4" for installing in the femoral artery, then is opened up when installed. I think they work through both femoral arteries. It supposedly has a 5 year life span before it needs replacement, which fits well with it being intended for high risk and unhealthy patients.

It isn't outlandish to imagine heart valve replacements like this being done on an outpatient basis in the future.

Posts: 7452 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
There are some great strides being made in medicine.

I was amazed with my DaVinci robotic kidney surgery and that is old hat already.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I can only guess at the nature of the study he participated in but the procedure itself is not new and is becoming more common. I have seen TAVR/TAVI programs starting up in smaller hospitals over the past couple of years, its not just the Unversity Medical Centers and research hospitals doing these procedures anymore.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As noted this sounds very similar to the TAVR my MIL had last summer. She was nearly 99 at the time of surgery. She was in for two nights but that was only because they ended up needing to add a pacemaker which I'm told is usually needed.
She is doing great with it. It's amazing what they can now do.
We were told that 5 years ago the only option was open heart (this they came in via the leg,small incision) and that the top end of the age range was mid 70's usually.
With this newer procedure they were happy to do it at 98+.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I can only guess at the nature of the study he participated in but the procedure itself is not new and is becoming more common. I have seen TAVR/TAVI programs starting up in smaller hospitals over the past couple of years, its not just the Unversity Medical Centers and research hospitals doing these procedures anymore.

Yup, my hospital is in the process of getting one started. We're a 200 hearts a year program so it's not a large heart center thing any longer. You do need deep pockets to get one started since the rooms are rather large and it ties up a large group of people. Typically, you have the cath lab staff (about 5), anesthesia team, surgery team (about 4) and the vendor guys.

Glad your friend is doing well.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
This was one of my last projects before retiring. They have made incredible progress.

I hope your friend does well.

As for me, I understand both procedures and not sure I would opt for the TAVR at this point.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post