SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto sun roof's ( poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto sun roof's ( poll) Login/Join 
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Although I do crack mine open as a vent in the Texas summer heat, I would prefer not having to pay for a big hole that I never open to watch the moon.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We have the worthless roofs as they are a way for the auto makers to add yet another , high priced, worthless option.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My 1976 MB 240D EconoBox had a manual sunroof. No problem.

All later MBs than I owned had power sunroofs. I had not choice, that's the way the cars were equipped.

I prefer no sunroof, but if I have to have one, I would prefer manual. Probably not available any more.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
We have the worthless roofs as they are a way for the auto makers to add yet another , high priced, worthless option.

What he said.

I just bought a 2010 Tahoe, and just about every well optioned Tahoe has the sunroof. They tend to leak/whistle, so I'd actually prefer to not have it. But, I liked everything else about my new-to-me vehicle.

Posts: 5758 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Both my jeeps,hate the damn things,never a leak.
I keep the under cover closed,sun will bake you,the wind noise is terrible.
I bought both used,so I am stuck,sold off the 01 ,it is not something I would pay extra for.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know for a while some manufacturers were putting them in a package. You could only get certain options if you got that package.

I also know certain car dealers that order it on almost every car they order for their lot.

I do have a convertible but rarely take the top off.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
used to buy convertibles, than sun roofs.
now, neither. just another thing to break.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've driven in cars with... what you'd call it I don't know. A fully retracting solid panel, which I kind of like. But the possible mechanical problems would worry me.

My little SUV has a sun roof (tip up glass panel), it's biggest value to me is being able to see traffic lights through it when I'm close to the light. Otherwise I only open it occasionally and it whistles on the highway and is annoying. Though gasket maintenance by the prior owner would have helped with that.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I’ve had 2 It is not likely to happen again.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5145 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ha. I just made an appointment with the local independent Jag shop to look at a water leak into the car from the sunroof of a Jag XL.

Good thing I'm not paying the bill on this one, she is.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned rollovers. Allow me to be garrulous, and relate a personal story involving a sun roof.

Back when I was 18 years old, I was much younger and stupider than I am today. I once fell asleep while driving due to self-inflicted sleep deprivation. I was driving a 1977? Toyota Celica at full speed on a deserted I-5 just south of the Oregon border. I had just finished a night class in criminal justice. I had worked a physical job both that day and the day before, and not bothered with the inconvenience of sleeping the previous night. I was exhausted but confident in my unlimited abilities to power through. I had that sense of immortality and invincibility so common with the young. My body cared not, and decided it was time for a nap.

As I slid across the freeway, upside down and hanging from my seat-belt, I enjoyed the visual display mere inches from my head of the road sparking against the roof of my car through the hole where my sun roof had been but moments ago. My seat-belt held, and thus, no thanks to the missing sun roof, my brains did not become road schmear.

To this day, when I look "up" through a sun roof, I wonder how it would be looking "down" through it, from the inside.

No, I am not a fan

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two of our three vehicles have sun roofs. They are seldom opened. Both came with option groups. We would have deleted to save $ if that was an option.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I've driven in cars with... what you'd call it I don't know. A fully retracting solid panel, which I kind of like. But the possible mechanical problems would worry me.

Mercedes calls them panoramic sunroofs. not sure if that's the industry standard term or not.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10482 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'll take it.

Never know when you just might need a turret gunner.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'll take it.

Never know when you just might need a turret gunner.

You don't need a hole in the roof for that. Just strap 'em up there with duct tape, or velcro.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I won't have one. Completely pointless. You should be looking at the road ahead of you, as well as behind you in your mirrors, not up out of the roof. I also want the elements (weather and wind noise) kept out while I drive. My car, 10 calendar years old, has never seen a roof over its head. I want no extra points for water to get in. And when a power sunroof or window fails, when was the last time it failed closed?

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I like mine. Came with the car. Never had one before. I never use it as a SUNroof, as I hate the sun, but I did use it just today parked in a shady spot listening to the stereo.

However, on warm nights after the sun goes down, I'll use it more often. Love those night drives. Also cool at the drive-in - yes, I still go to one.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
They reduce headroom and make my head hot. Plus as the car ages, they often leak.

Exactly.

I hate them and find the useless. My wife loves them.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
None or our current vehicles have one. We've had them before and it's nice for the ventilation and light. That said when I bought my current F-150, I test drove one with Ford's panoramic sunroof. Feeling the heat radiate off of it even with the covers closed on a 100+ degree august day in Phoenix convinced me I didn't want one in my truck.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
When I bought my first new car I liked the idea of a sunroof. Never had one before and the car I wanted happened to come with it.

Now I don't care. I wouldn't pay more for it but wouldn't think twice if a car I was looking at had one.

After having a sunroof for many years in multiple cars I very rarely use it. Around here you have a small window when it's warm enough to use it before the humidity/heat makes you not want to open it. Add in the noise and sun coming through and I just don't use it much. Could probably count the times I've used one in the last year on my fingers.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16389 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post