SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto sun roof's ( poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto sun roof's ( poll) Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:...
You don't need a hole in the roof for that. Just strap 'em up there with duct tape, or velcro.

And scratch the paint?!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have one in my truck and love it. I will have one in my next truck.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
My 1976 MB 240D EconoBox had a manual sunroof. No problem...

I almost bought a 240D in 1983, but passed because I wanted it with power windows but not the mandatory sunroof.

The first MB I owned was a 1989 with a sunroof, bought used so no choice. I found I couldn't use it at night for the cool breeze because the day-night mirror reflected the sky, and if I left it on the day setting, drivers following would blind me. Didn't use the sunroof at night.

My second MB was a 2001 C230, and one of the myriad of electrical problems was a sunroof that wouldn't close one night when I had to leave the car parked outside. I had to wrap a tarp over the open sunroof and through the front doors to keep the rain out.

No more for me, thanks! I prefer the manual convertible tops on my MGBs, since at least I could erect them myself as necessary.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I have one as it came as a standard "option" on the trim I got, but I don't much care either way.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My TrailBlazer had one. Loved it. Used it all the time in warm weather. It did reduce headroom, though. And I always worried a bit about leaks. My Jeep doesn't have one. I kind of miss it, but I'm also enjoying the headroom and the lack of worry about a leak.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my vehicles have had one. I like them quite a bit though rarely for sun. I'm weird and like them for rain and night time sky while I'm driving. I definitely cant say I wouldn't pay for one as I'm having a truck built and plunked down about 1200 for a dual pane. Price seemed crazy but I test drove one and liked it quite a bit.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would prefer not to have a sunroof. I never use them and at 6'3", I would rather have the head room.
Having said that, all three of our vehicles have sun roofs...

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
The few days in my part of the country that a sunroof would be nice are not worth the expense of purchase. Nonetheless, I've had 10-12 cars with them sinply because I liked the car and it happened to have a sunroof. I remember a BMW that I purchased brand new and never opened the sunroof the entire time I drove it.

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I’ve never had a vehicle without one. But I’m impartial. I just usually buy the expensive models that have it ... like my 2018 Yukon Denali.

I have only opened it once or twice.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
As others have said, they usually come with other options I want for the car. Seems like every vehicle we have owned over the last 15 or 20 years have had one, we seldom use it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My last few cars came with it as part of a package. Rarely use it. Prefer convertible if I want some sun.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I only have owned on car with the sun/moon roof; it was a Lincoln Mark VII that I bought it used 2 years old. I had problems from day one with that useless item.
Car had less headroom and leaked; not to mention the all the electrical problems. Finely took it to my mechanic and had him seal the damn thing so it wouldn't leak and disconnect the motor so no one could open it.

First and last one I will ever own

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Have one in my Pathfinder, use it regularly in the warmer weather.
When we looked at the Escape for my wife, she originally wanted one until she 1) saw the price, a $3500 option, and 2) noticed the headroom difference (not affecting her, but noticeably affecting me).

We opted against it, but would consider again in the future, if it would work out.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Ours came with them standard. I hate them and leave it covered all the time. My wife likes hers.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the track mechanism fail on one with the roof halfway open. The car was out of warranty, of course. Holy cow, was that an expensive repair. Never owned one since and never will.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had them in cars that I owned when I was younger but now I have absolutely no use for them. Here in Texas you don't want that hot sun baking you through a hole in the roof.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I love all open air motoring, be it sunroof, t-top, Targa, convertible or the heady roadster. I love it.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
I am the exception it looks like. I love a sun roof.

I'm with you. When the weather's decent, I find myself opening the roof within seconds of starting the engine. In the summer, it seems to let out the day's stored hot air more quickly.

Spring and fall? Heck, yeah! If it's dry out, it's "sunroof open and heater on." I love it. Winter? Well... yes. I've been known to partly open the roof in the winter time too, if it's not horribly cold or snowing.

It's a little noisy, but it doesn't interfere with conversation -- seems I'm alone in the truck most of the time.
Sometimes the dog goes for a ride-along, but she doesn't pay attention to what I say anyway.... Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I had bad memories of sunroofs. My brother had an '86 Golf with a leaky sunroof. I remember you could hear the water sloshing around and if you hit the brakes hard enough you'd get a water fall coming down on you. Ugh. A) it was a 1986 Golf b) it was an 80s VW product.

In the brief stint I sold Toyotas, sunroofs were either A) fine if it's there (most of the buyers), B) have to have it or C) no way no how. But the options list would add the sunroof as soon as you got leather and nav...

I have a 12 year old Acura RSX with a sunroof and I enjoy it. I do the Nixon thing: in the cold I'll kickstand it and then turn on the heat. I'm glad it's there but it's not a requirement. Course every car I've ever owned was used so I don't get much choice but never had a daily runner a sunroof.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Both my cars ('97 Corolla and '11 Venza) have a sun roof, but that's just how the cars came, i.e., I didn't order the car that way, but with all the option packages I wanted, the sun roof was "standard install". Being in Houston, the heat is just too much 9-10 months out of the year to even consider opening it, though we DID have a VERY mild spring this year. I didn't even think about opening it and 99% of the time, I actually forget I have one.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post