SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto sun roof's ( poll)
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto sun roof's ( poll) Login/Join 
posted
While waiting for the cardiologist in the tiny room for my yearly wallet drain,
I walked to the little window on the 8th floor
and watched the parking lot ,

I noticed a ton of cars with either glass or metal sun roofs,

48 of the 116 cars/s.u.v.'s had roof holes in them ! Eek

are they THAT! popular? or do the car people just put them on every other car , for no reason?

I've never had a car with a roof hole.

Question:
do you prefer a roof hole on you vehicles ?

Choices:
oh hell no, never would want one
one vehicle with , would be nice , but mostly no
with ? with out ? I don't care either way
I would say yes, but not essential, not a deal breaker
Always , have to have a roof hole.
never had a car w/o a roof hole
convertable tops yes , roof hole no
I only ride bikes , who cares

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Depends. Mostly don't care either way but I will not pay for it. And as long as no issues (leaking, etc), I don't really care.

But I don't want them in sporty cars (ie - 370ZX).

Sometimes they are nice to have. But wouldn't explicitly pay for them.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
They reduce headroom and make my head hot. Plus as the car ages, they often leak.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t pay extra for one, but with, or without wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

We’ve had cars with them, and once the new wore off, we used them very rarely. Haven’t had on in either car for 5 years, and don’t miss it.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I prefer T-Tops or a full targa top.

No better way to breeze out your mullet than with a Z28, Skynyrd on the 8 track, a gal in Daisy Dukes and spinning the Goodyear White Letter Radials with that 185 hp engine.....

Posts: 23373 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Plus as the car ages, they often leak.

^^^ To this I can attest! ^^^

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
They usually come included in the option packages that I want for the car, so I typically don't get to decide...

But I would prefer not to have one.

I hardly ever open my sunroofs. It's just not very comfortable driving around with it open--noise, wind, sun, etc.

But, because it's there, it's one more set of seals to maintain and to potentially leak. One more set of motors and gears to seize up from disuse.

I would also guess that the giant panorama sunroofs these days add significant weight to the vehicle. Glass is heavier than sheet metal, and the unibody of the car has to be stronger to support the car in a roll over.

Then there's the expense if damaged. Not sure how that plays out, but I imagine the glass for a panoramic sunroof could get pretty pricey if damaged. I think it's a moot point of there's a roll over--as there will be frame damage either way and that's pricey as all hell...but I've had a car with a giant dent in the roof from a chunk of rock hitting it while in motion, and I wonder of a panoramic sunroof would have faired any better.

I also think that the sunroof provides less sound and heat insulation. I know that the thin little fabric shade that acts as sun cover hardly provides any insulation at all.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I've got one in my Tacoma and have never used it. I didn't want it but it was the only way to get the other options I wanted.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
They usually come included in the option packages that I want for the car, so I typically don't get to decide...

I hardly ever open my sunroofs. It's just not very comfortable driving around with it open--noise, wind, sun, etc.

This sums up my experience perfectly.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leaky. Noisy. Not practical with 4 feet of Yoop snow on it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2002 Toyota Highlander came with all the bells and whistles, when I got it pre=owned in 2004. I think we've used the sunroof thing about 4 or 5 times. Wouldn't have ordered one but didn't turn it down because of the roof thing.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
For me nope.

Wife's Explorer has the panaromic sunroof and she loves it. It was one of the things that were on her "must have" list.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4519 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Love them and use them all the time in our MB's. Have yet to had one leak in the Mercs or a Nissan Maxima that was my wife's. Don't have one in my Z71.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10483 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I prefer no sunroof, but as many have said, on many cars/packages, there is no choice.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I refuse to buy a vehicle with a sunroof.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a sunroof in my Tundra and never use it. The sun is always in my face not matter what direction im going.

One thing I did notice while reading my owners manual is Tundras with the sunroof have a reduced payload capacity. Its only about 250lbs but it must mean the sunroof weakens the vehicles strength.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is me too

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyrich:
quote:

This is me too

+1, came on the vehicle off the lot so no choice. Use it so little that I don't even think about it being there. And, they do leak. Next vehicle - no way.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The sunroof was an option package all its own and not one that I would have asked for. But the car had one and all the other cars available - that had the options I wanted - also had one. I seldom use it and the frame around it intrudes into the head space, which is already on the tight side anyway. No leaks yet, knock on wood, but next time I'll be more insistent about not wanting one.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I am the exception it looks like. I love a sun roof.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post