SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "The Food at Idi Amin is really good" - Phonetics are fun.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Food at Idi Amin is really good" - Phonetics are fun. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Talking with some coworkers today about area restaurants. One of them pipes up with a unique restaurant, and the conversation follows:

"The food at Idi Amin is really good, you guys should check it out."

"Sorry, the food where?

"Idi Amin"

"Uh, the brutal African dictator? I don't think that's right?"

"Nah that's what it's called."

"Ok, well, what kind of food is it?"

"Japanese"

"So.. Edamame?"

"Yeah, Idi Amin."

"Spell it.."

"E-D-E-M-A-M-E, Idi Amin."

"Ok, that's not how you say Edamame. It's steamed soybeans, not a despot."

"That's how I've always said it."

"Is it near The Hitler Cafe?"

We had a good laugh, and he's probably going to get teased for weeks over this. I've already come up with some new hot eateries to try out. Pol Potluck, Chez Pinochet, there is so much potential.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You could name a bakery specializing in German cake-like fruit bread as Stalin instead of stollen

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Idi Amin, Nope.

Phonetics, well that's a good time had by all!
Born in the South, went to college further South (War Damn Eagle!!)
Can't tell you how many hilarious mispronunciations I've heard in 59+ years...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I sympathize completely. You should hear the guffaws if I try and say quinoa.

Even after hearing it correctly pronounced I still muff it. I can butcher many different words , so why should quinoa be the exception.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

But apparently it is "ed-uh-MAH-may." I just never took the trouble to look it up until now.

Posts: 27958 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Key and Peele - Substitute Teacher

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ok, Arc. That conversation is truly funny.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I’ll have to remember to call the beans Idi Amin the next time it comes up in conversation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that called the bagels at Panera: Adagio bagels.

"Are you talking about the asiago cheese bagels?"

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Hitler Chicken is the real deal in Thailand.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I thought it was Ed's Jamames

Posts: 23454 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

That's not a photoshop?

Arc.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

That's not a photoshop?

Apparently not.

https://www.grubstreet.com/201...r-fried-chicken.html

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have read that in parts of Asia Hitler is an admired figure.
One of the great ironies of the Nazi era was their acceptance of the Japanese as being worthy to be allied with. Expediency led them to accept many groups that clearly did not meet their original concepts of “Aryan,” but none so obvious as far eastern Asians.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post