SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am now a gentleman of leisure
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am now a gentleman of leisure Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I've been fully retired for nearly 5 years (October).

rburg gives very good advice. My wife is just FULL of ideas to keep me occupied. I listen attentively, nod sagely and then go off and do just as I damn please most days.

I have learned how to enunciate the word "NO" very clearly. If I wish to avoid offense, I'll sometimes extend that to "No, thank you".

Occasionally, my loving wife or other well-meaning person will persist, whereupon I give some version of the following speech:

"Between my parents, the US Navy and various bosses since, I spent 62 years of my life doing things to please other people and doing it on their schedule. I'm done with that."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my neighborhood. I retired twice.

Son works for UPS.

I have not been bored, keep busy

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Please don't drive like you are retired, drive fast and break that cycle of getting behind the old retired guy in the left lane. Razz

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I'm at 10.5 years of retirement and counting. Enjoy! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
302 days.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<walkinghorsewest>
posted
Congratulations!!!
Are you ready for not having to account for every minute of your day!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Two months of retirement here. I retired because of a vision problem, just could not see putting up with that crap anymore............

Seriously though I worked in car dealership parts departments since 1970, I finally had enough last year.

Now work part time, three days a week. Help watch our grandson. Getting thing caught up around home that I have been neglecting the last few years.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I retired a month ago. love it!

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just start shooting rim fire bench rest competition.

This will keep your mind completely occupied as you wonder what caused that flier?

It will become an obsession.

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Those of you who complain about us old guys driving need to view it from our perspective. We can't figure out why those idiots are in such a hurry to get to a job they hate. I adopted the slow lane a while before I retired. I discovered the other employees who zipped past me above the speed limit are sitting in front of me at the exit ramp. And pulling into the parking lot at the same time.

I try to avoid the nonsense by not getting up in time for rush hour. I prefer sitting in my recliner watching the same fools driving home, all in a line. Hurry all you want, just don't bother me with it. I'm too important and busy to care.

If the OP wants to really rub it in, he should get a lawn chair and go near where he used to work. Then find a shady spot and wave at his co-workers as they leave some day. Smiling and laughing is also fun!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judge Judy is on! And look for the early bird specials.
Congrats. 37 years is an accomplishment.
I have been retired for 15 years. My hobbies and interests keep me busy. If I want to travel, I get a part time job to save up the $$$ and then take off.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Just start shooting rim fire bench rest competition.

This will keep your mind completely occupied as you wonder what caused that flier?

It will become an obsession.

I got into that briefly. It will be an obsession. The traditional guys are heavy into mechanical perfection. The elaborate gear they come up with is incredible. I chose Auto bench rest, with 10/22 based rifles. There is a league near here. Unfortunately, I had to give it up due to the ravages of old age and decrepitude.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of maybe a nice PCP airgun to play with, gotta spend my unused vacation pay somehow and I can shoot it out back every day.

Jeez, this place sure is full of old timers Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RaiseHal,

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I took a early retirement from Fed Ex 4 and a half years ago now. Joined my wife in the family business of grocery distribution so I'm still working everyday but I hardly consider it work considering the last 5 of the 15 years at Fed Ex were miserable. Hated the job. They screwed us on our pension plan so it made sense to leave the job I hated and go into the family business.

We are now in the process of selling about2/3rd's of the business which will put me in full retirement mode while the wife who is 4 years younger than me will continue working the rest of the business for awhile.

So with any luck I'm about 6 months away from being from driving in the slow lane!

I hear people say I don't know what I'd do if I was retired! So they continue working.
I'm like Jallen I'm pretty damn good at doing nothing.
I joined a culinary online school that will keep me a bit occupied and I also plan on taking on more BBQ catering gigs.

Most company's don't last 30 years anymore for someone to retire from or their pension plans do not stay solvent long enough so lucky is the man who can get a full retirement after 30 or 40 years at the same place.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I retired July '15. I couldn't be happier. I have a handful if hobbies. Tracking my car, Drumming, Target shooting, PC Driving simulator. Hell, I'm surprised I had time to work before retiring. LOL.

Enjoy life. Cheers!

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I retired 3 years ago, bought a Harley (my 1st bike ever) and do what I damn well please. Big Grin

That is within reason,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!

T minus 30 years and counting for me. I've still got a bit to go, unless that Power Ball ticket I bought yesterday hits.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!

Don't rush into new work, hobbies, etc. Take your time and ease into the new life style. Your days will fill quickly and time will pass at warp speed.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post