SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I am now a gentleman of leisure
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am now a gentleman of leisure Login/Join 
Picture of RaiseHal
posted
I retired last night after 37 plus years working at UPS. I am now ready for life without labor. I just hope I'm not too bored.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!! I've got 15 years in on the management side. If you get to feeling homesick, I can call you up and give you a hard time about performance or send you a safety tip text message. Big Grin

Enjoy your retirement, you've more than earned it!

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
It took my 73 y.o. brother two months of r&r
to volunteer at the food bank, join a card club and he already was on the habitat for humanity board .
then he drives out of state to see his grand kids every month.

Have fun for awhile

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
C'mon in; water's fine. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Mozel Tov

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8351 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Congrats. 6 years for me now and no regrets what so ever. You have to work pretty hard to be bored in this day and age with everything that is available in the way of activities. You'll figure it out in no time.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Good for you. As long as you have your health, you will enjoy retirement. I've yet to be bored. As a matter of fact it seems hard for me to make a dent in my to-do list, let alone the informal bucket list.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I've discovered that doing nothing is what I am best at, except I can't tell when I am finished. Then too, sometimes it is hard to say whether I'm actually doing nothing or merely procrastinating.

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." Dorothy Parker

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Jim: Another Dorothy Parker quote for ya:

“I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.”

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I am some years behind you... but the day the math makes sense is the last day I go to work.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Another one who has made it! Enjoy, life really is wonderful in retirement.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Good on you,now you have some time to shoot the fine toys you have Wink

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:
I retired last night after 37 plus years working at UPS. I am now ready for life without labor.

Congratulations!

I retired seven weeks ago today, after working various jobs since I went into the U.S. Army a little over 46 years ago. The last one for just shy of 32 years.

quote:
Originally posted by RaiseHal:
I just hope I'm not too bored.

I haven't been, yet Smile

The neat thing is that most of the stuff I have on my plate I get to decide when and how to do. And take my own damn sweet time doing it, if I'm so-inclined.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
In retirement, there are things to watch out for. The worst and most dangerous are people who feel they need to find things for you to do. Ignore them, they don't have your best interests in mind. Be very watchful of those who profess to have your best interests in mind. They are dangerous and just want someone to do their dirty jobs. The best answer I've found is to say "I'm just not quite ready to do that yet". Then hold your ground.

When someone asks what you think you're going to do today, tell them "nothing". When they point out it was what you did yesterday, tell them you weren't finished yet. When they get upset and just plan things for you to do, give them a tiny glimpse of hope, then wander off and do as you please.

Wives are the worst offenders. They'll plan all kinds of active and boring things, some expensive. Let them plan all they want. Its good for them. But don't go along with their ideas. Just do as you please. If questioned about it with stuff like "I thought we were going to something", dash their hopes by pointing out you hadn't agreed to it.

Let me give you another hint. People who think they're doing good usually aren't. Doing nothing has its own rewards. Its also usually cheap.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!

I spent 18 years working for Brown and have a small pension when I retire.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I had no desire to retire until about 3 months before I did so. Then I could hardly bear those 3 months.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post