SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaner Solution, any opinions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homemade Ultrasonic Cleaner Solution, any opinions? Login/Join 
Picture of ACClauhs
posted
I’ve got a medium sized L&H ultrasonic tank at work. We’ve run out of solution and the budget isn’t friendly towards buying more right now. I’ve heard of guys making their own solution to save money. One recipe I found called for 50/50 solution of distilled water and white vinegar along with “some” dish soap. This sounds like it would work but I’m curious if anyone else has tried this. I’ve got a few old BCG’s that I might try and dirty up to see how this recipe works. Does anyone else have some experience with these experiments?

Posts: 403 | Location: PA | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I use plain water and dish soap for a roll your own cheap solution. Just don't forget to rinse off your parts with clean water after, to removed any soap residue.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If I'm not cleaning aluminum parts I use Simple Green and warm water.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a good solution also to use in a Lyman US cleaner. Has anyone ever tried diesel fuel or Kerosene?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about ultrasonic cleaning, but vinegar and Dawn works great to clean the shower.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
For brass I have used distilled water, a little Dawn dish washing liquid and some lemishine.

For a BCG, I would leave out the lemishine. You would need to play with amount of Dawn to get it clean w/o becoming too sudsy on you.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I no longer remember what I used, but I turned a $1500 P7M8 into a rusting hulk a few years ago using some recommended home brew solution in an ultrasonic cleaner. I was able to restore it with a coating of light oil, quickly.

I stuck to proper cleaning solutions from Brownells or Midway after that.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At work, we place the piece to be cleaned in a beaker (size the beaker to the piece being cleaned), add isopropanol to cover the piece, place the beaker in the bath and add distilled water to the level of the isopropanol in the beaker. Keeps the cleaning to a minimum and the inside of the ultrasonic cleaner never gets gunk on it.

Posts: 78 | Location: South Florida | Registered: April 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use distilled water and a little simple green. Stay away from purple power, I stripped the annodizing off of a $50 charging handle with purple power. But never a problem with simple green. The distilled water will keep the parts from rusting too btw.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not use a petroleum distillate in an ultrasonic cleaner. Seems like a rapid path to possible disaster ending in a large flame.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post