SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great new kitchen 'tool', an Instapot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great new kitchen 'tool', an Instapot Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Was looking at them just a few days ago in our RV store. The owner says they've become very popular with the RV crowd and I can see why. We have several pressure cookers ranging in size from a large canner to the typical home size that Grandma used but these seem like they really are a better mouse trap, especially in an RV. One thing that bothers me is having to wait for a cool-down. These don't look like you can just run cold water over them like the traditional pressure cookers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're pretty handy and one of the better re-inventions over the last decade.

I enjoy cooking but, there's weeks when I know I'll be getting home late, Instant Pot, makes life a bit easier and maintains a tasty kitchen. There's a few things they aren't good at but, they're a nice piece of kit.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
Was looking at them just a few days ago in our RV store. The owner says they've become very popular with the RV crowd and I can see why. We have several pressure cookers ranging in size from a large canner to the typical home size that Grandma used but these seem like they really are a better mouse trap, especially in an RV. One thing that bothers me is having to wait for a cool-down. These don't look like you can just run cold water over them like the traditional pressure cookers.

You can choose slow or fast release. Fast release takes about 10 seconds by flipping a lever.

With tough cuts of meat I've read that if you do a fast release the meat toughens up. Slow, and it doesn't.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I looked at them, but I'll stick with my simple range top pressure cooker.

Yes indeed.
1. A new gasket and rubber safety plug and it’s good as new.
2. A stove top can be opened within seconds after running some cold water over it.
3. You can use the pot to deep fry fish and such.
4. If it’s the old style, the whole thing can go into the dish washer.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
We picked up a 10 in 1 model on cyber Monday. So far she has cooked 2 good meals out of it.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Mrs.Parallel just fired hers up for he first time tonight. She made carnitas and they came out awesome!

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no chili setting?
What the ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I've never paid too much attention to these before but there was a big article in today's paper about them. I might have to check them out.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
no chili setting?
What the ?

There is a chili setting. Big Grin

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sure if you want " bean " chili Roll Eyes
but where is the 50/50 meat/bean chili setting ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention the bean chili setting, I made a fine batch of white chili with chicken today. I have hurt myself on it, and am sure to do so again.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Got one for SWMBO last year. She loves it.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Just did this recipe for basic chicken soup. It was AWESOME.

http://www.number-2-pencil.com...chicken-noodle-soup/

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
The wife got one a few months ago. She loves it!

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post