SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Breitling Emergency - Watch
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Breitling Emergency - Watch Login/Join 
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Archie Teuthis:
Sorry to be Debby Downer.
You are likely better off carrying one of the units made by ACR, McMurdo, and others. All are small and well under $1K. Do carry air evac insurance if you travel to odd spots.

Can't comment on the watch but I've got an ACR PLB and a nautilus lifeline. The ACR can be had for $199 (satellite) right now I believe, nautilus is around $300 (vhf). The older generation nautilus is more desirable as it not only transmits your location via VHF, but it also has a 2 way radio.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a gshock and a separate sat phone in a small Pelican case. That is what I have carried for the last 20 or so expeditions in the BWCA and the Primitive Management Areas I have ventured into. Glock 20 in also a companion when not in Canada. It is too easy to hurt a dressy watch like that while constantly lifting canoes over trees and carrying 60# rucks over tough terrain. One small pin on that watch is all that separates it from the depths of the lake. Keep it at home so you can look like a adventurer and use the gshock on your trips.

Make it count

Posts: 1413 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
You need a gshock and a separate sat phone in a small Pelican case. That is what I have carried for the last 20 or so expeditions in the BWCA and the Primitive Management Areas I have ventured into. Glock 20 in also a companion when not in Canada. It is too easy to hurt a dressy watch like that while constantly lifting canoes over trees and carrying 60# rucks over tough terrain. One small pin on that watch is all that separates it from the depths of the lake. Keep it at home so you can look like a adventurer and use the gshock on your trips.

Very good advice here. I would not wear a high-end Swiss watch while hiking/canoeing/camping.

The Emergency watch was a decent solution for the well-to-do pilot 20 years ago, but now you would want a sat phone or other more affordable, technologically advanced device.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Interesting watch Ronin.
I have no comments on the watch itself but I was wondering what you and other frequent visitors to the BWCA carry for protection and how you carry it.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no comments on the watch itself but I was wondering what you and other frequent visitors to the BWCA carry for protection and how you carry it.

I used to carry my Sig 229 plus extra mag. It was HEAVY and always in the way; after doing this for many years of hiking/camping without incident from either four or two legged animals, I changed course.

I'm no longer as concerned with fending off multiple bad guys in the backwoods or a pack of crazed wolves. My biggest realistic concern is a lone trouble maker causing issues on the trail or campsites. I spose I could run into an aggressive blackbear, but I sure hope I could just scare him away.

All that said, I got tired of the weight and having to break down and clean the Sig if it rained or I got wet; so now I carry a .44 Taurus Tracker in a Maxpedition bag. It has a 4" barrel and is only 3# loaded so not too heavy. Also carry one additional speedloader.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:

Currently I wear my Suunto and keep a SPOT in my backpack. Being realistic, I'd probably crack the crystal on my first portage!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Ah. Didn't realize the new one uses the 406 band.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Here is a selection of personal emergency locator beacons, current design / manufacture, in the $150 to $400 range.

This online vendor, Aircraft Spruce, is one of the largest sellers of aviation-related stuff. I have purchased many things from them, including aircraft batteries, tires, headsets, and other. While not up to Top Gun Supply standards (to be truthful, no other vendor is), they are solid and reliable. I can say this after many years and thousands of dollars experience with them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
West Marine is another source and sells all kinds of EPIRBS. ACR electronics makes some of the best EPIRBS.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I once used the reflection of the sun off the glass of my watch face to signal a jet fighter in a stew field.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I had a friend eject but he didn't pull his E-watch.

Everyone said he should have, he could have given endorsements for life!

But as mentioned, you are far better off with a dedicated means of emergency location.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Holy Hire A Sherpa Batman!!!! Are these things really 15 grand???

Wait until you get the bill for the rescue!

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Breitling Emergency is not cheap, but one can be had for considerably less than $15large.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wetrudgeon:
The Breitling Emergency is not cheap, but one can be had for considerably less than $15large.

We trudge on.

Mine, twelve years old when I got it, was a tad over what is now $7200.

tac

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
There is one for sale right now for $3,250 on the watchuseek

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
There is one for sale right now for $3,250 on the watchuseek

I saw that. Typically I get my watch ogling at https://www.watchrecon.com/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Yeah I love WatchRecon. I'm currently on the hunt for my first automatic dress watch. I'm thinking an Omega with leather band. I'm just looking for a super good deal though.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post