SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teen girls had no IDs and one-way first-class tickets. Why that alarmed airline employee
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teen girls had no IDs and one-way first-class tickets. Why that alarmed airline employee Login/Join 
posted
I am glad the employee did something in this situation. I am unclear if the story suffers from bad writing or the author is an imbecile. I am posting the story below so you can judge for yourself. I also would like to know how often the airlines let you fly with tickets purchased on a fraudulent credit card. Here is the story:

Quick thinking from an American Airlines employee at Sacramento International Airport likely saved two teenage girls from lives in captivity.

American Airlines customer service agent Denice Miracle knew something was awry when two girls from the Vacavillle-Fairfield area, ages 17 and 15, came to her ticket counter on Aug. 31. The girls had no identification, were unaccompanied by adults and had two first-class tickets booked by another person with a fraudulent credit card, according to an airline news release.

“Between the two of them, they had a bunch of small bags. It seemed to me as if they were running away from home,” Miracle said in the release. “They kept looking at each other in a way that seemed fearful and anxious. I had a gut feeling that something just wasn’t right.”

When Miracle refused to let the girls fly, they walked over to a nearby Starbucks table while one of them made a phone call. Meanwhile, Miracle called the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department’s Airport Bureau and reached Deputy Todd Sanderson, who later reported the girls had called a man named “Drey,” whom they had previously met on Instagram.

Drey had offered to fly the girls to New York for the weekend and pay them $2,000 to model and be in music videos. But one more piece of the puzzle seemed odd: Drey hadn’t bothered to buy the girls a return flight from New York to Sacramento. That was news to the teens, who had jumped at Drey’s offer without telling their parents.

“When I told them that they didn’t have a flight home, that’s when it kind of sunk in that maybe I was actually telling the truth,” Sanderson said. “In my opinion, what was going to happen was they were going to go back to New York and become victims of sex trafficking. They said they wouldn’t have let that happen, and I said they probably wouldn’t have had a choice.”

After the girls’ initial conversation from the Starbucks table, calls to Drey’s phone stopped going through. He deleted his Instagram page within minutes.

Drey likely used photos of another person, Sanderson said, and is unlikely to be prosecuted from outside the state. But thanks to Miracle’s awareness, the girls headed home from the airport with their parents that Thursday night.

“I’m very, very thankful Ms. Miracle with American Airlines was able to use her intuition and concern and actually say something,” Sanderson said. “Without her, I wouldn’t have been called and we wouldn’t have intervened with these girls.”

Link: http://www.sacbee.com/news/loc...rticle200507139.html

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Chumley the farm dog was twice as smart those two girls combined.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Chumley the farm dog was twice as smart those two girls combined.

I used to have a nice pet rock that was smarter than both of these idjits, combined.

Is that event an accurate commentary on the state of our young people today?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
SAVED BY A MIRACLE!!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
saved by a couple people doing their jobs! one was even an airline ticket counter employee!!

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Elk, these are the same young people who are eating laundry detergent pods...

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the FBI will get to the bottom of this.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

And able to vote for the next president. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I agree there is something off in the way it was written. 1st -Should all be moot after no ID, right? How is it the kids still had a ticket if the airline was able to know the CC charge was fraudulent? Most likely the press release was much later, but it does not say that.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's nothing new, Elk. A girl I dated in college back in the 1960's responded to an ad for women to do modeling in a town about 150 miles from school. I think the ad was placed on the bulletin board of her dormitory, and in a follow-up phone call she was told it would be modeling underwear. It took several of us to talk her out of going ahead with the plan. We were in our early 20's at the time.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some kids are just idiots and don't think things through and look for fast cash. Fortunately, someone looked out for them.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
SAVED BY A MIRACLE!!

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4576 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

Yeah, ya got me there! Razz

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
How do you get on an airplane without approved ID?

Maybe they were going to vote or something.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

You can get on an airplane without an ID but the only way I know of is with a police report. A coworker (who was a moron) got all his Id stolen while on a trip and was able to fly home after obtaining a police report. I think there are other ways as well.

In this case though they were not allowed to even attempt to pass security. The article does not say if they would have been allowed to if it were not for the agent stopping them to begin with but I doubt they would have been allowed through security.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Fortunately, someone looked out for them.

Fortunately for them. Not so much for society.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

You can get on an airplane without an ID but the only way I know of is with a police report. A coworker (who was a moron) got all his Id stolen while on a trip and was able to fly home after obtaining a police report. I think there are other ways as well.

In this case though they were not allowed to even attempt to pass security. The article does not say if they would have been allowed to if it were not for the agent stopping them to begin with but I doubt they would have been allowed through security.

Actually, I’ve heard that TSA has a way to screen you without an ID and it doesn’t require a police report. Perhaps things have changed the last couple years with TSA emphasizing real ID.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2013/...n-you-fly-without-id

Also, at their ages, they wouldn’t have needed ID.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:

less interested in them getting on the airplane but how did they pass through a TSA security checkpoint without an ID

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Fortunately, someone looked out for them.

Fortunately for them. Not so much for society.

Yeah too damn bad for us right? I sure wish those two idiots had got sold into sex slavery. We'd be a whole lot better off if they had. Roll Eyes

Damn some of you are some miserable bastards. Instead of focusing on the positives here, you know like some adult actually taking an interest in their lives or that some asshole didn't get two more teenage girls to rape or that the asshole who was trying to lure them to NY is at least on the radar, you all focus on the two girls. Are they stupid? Yeah they are. But we don't know shit about their lives or how shitty their upbringing was. And of course we worry about who they will vote for in the future. None of us knows who these girls will grow up to be or who they will vote for.

I'd vote for Hillary myself if I knew it would save two teenage girls from sex slavery.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
quote:

less interested in them getting on the airplane but how did they pass through a TSA security checkpoint without an ID

It does not sound like they were allowed through security.