SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's a good law school graduation gift?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's a good law school graduation gift? Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted
One of my coworkers is graduating from law school in May. He's a cop in an adjoining jurisdiction, but doesn't plan on leaving that career just yet.

Any suggestions on an appropriate gift? I want to keep it in the $2-300 range if I can.

One avenue I'm considering the fountain pen route. I recall that he likes collecting them and prefers writing with a nib rather than a ballpoint.

Other likes:

Cigars
Fishing
Watches

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
The traditional gift is a briefcase, but if he is continuing as a cop and not practicing law, then it might not be the best choice.

I like the fountain pen idea if that is something he would appreciate. He could get a lot of use from such a gift.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm going to recommend a nice leather portfolio, like a Hartmann.

About 24 years ago I was in a meeting with someone (consultant, attorney, broker, don't recall) and he had one that was still intact but was incredibly worn. I mean scratches, soft as cloth from years of flexing, oiled in the middle from carrying it, lots and lots of color variations and "pantina". I recall looking at it and thinking to myself "wow, he's had that forever, imagine all the places its been and the deals it's seen, conversations its sat in on!"

I got one within a year or so (I was young and broke, this was a big spend!) and still have it sitting on my desk right now. Same story, it's been all over the world and part of every major event in my life for all this time. Sure new employers like to toss you theirs, some are really nice, but none of them are part of my history.

Perhaps you could start him down this path, maybe even share part of this anectdote.

In comparison to his as I recall it, mine is barely broken in!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would typically recommend a nice pen, but if he is already a collector whatever pen you give him is likely to just get thrown in with all the others.

I like Georgeair's idea.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Maybe you can ask him to show you his collection of pens and then get him something he doesn't already have? Probably a model of a brand he doesn't have.

I would suggest a rollerball pen that matches one of his fountain pens. It would get used more as it's more practical and it will still remind him of his fountain pen.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
A crystal decanter and a bottle of bourbon.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Hookers and blow?

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For $2 you can probably get him a couple of stick pens.

For $300, you can get him a very nice pen.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Mont Blanc Fountain Pen. If it's in your price range.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
A GoFundMe account.

Lawyers are plentiful.

Jobs for them are not.

Or a nice briefcase.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
A med school application?

Channeling my wife (a doctor) there

Best gift I got when I graduated from law school was money

The decanter and booze is a good idea

I would never use a Mont Blanc pen because I'd be afraid to lose it

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
Hookers and blow?

Perfect.

If he is a pen guy, get him a gift certificate for a pen store.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my son in law graduated from Med school, I got him a striped lower and lower parts kit. My wife also gave him something from us.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Think outside the box, I would get him something to with a hobby. A few years ago, a friend's son got married. As he and his wife liked to hunt, we bought them shells. They still talk about it - one of their favorite gifts.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
Hookers and blow?

Perfect.

Somehow I don't see that going over so well with his Chief.

Or his wife. Frown

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Protech auto, TR-3 or TR-4.
Microtech Ultratech OTF

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
If you don't go for a fountain pen and decide on a watch.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en...mens|price_under_299

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Other than a fountain pen, a nice pocket watch with maybe something engraved, or $5-10 American Eagle gold coin with the 2017 date.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A soul.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post