SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tacoma production going from Texas to mexico
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma production going from Texas to mexico Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If Mexican-built, the VIN begins with 3. The door jamb label(s) which contain the VIN, tire pressures and sizes, GVWR/GAWR also have the country of manufacture. I'm 99% certain neither 2003 or 2006 models are Mexican-built.

Posts: 27958 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Hmmm, let's see. Anemic power, a spongy transmission, mediocre (at best) fuel economy), rear drum brakes, an infotainment system from 2012, and a number of other smaller issues Toyota refuses to address (see the Tacoma forums for the continual bitching)...

If you believe everything you read on Tacomaworld, then yes, your post is spot on.

Power isn’t anemic. It’s 270 or so. It’s not a V8, but for a truck this size, it gets up and goes just fine.
The transmission is that of a standard truck. It doesn’t shift like a sports car, that’s for sure. Now I will admit the first thing I do at startup is click the ECT Power button. But I don’t have any of the transmission issues that everyone on TW bitches about. Maybe it’s because I don’t expect my truck to drive like my E63 AMG did.
Fuel economy does suck. It’s really not good. I pretty much only drive city and off road. Best I’m getting is in the 15-17 range.
The rear drums are explained really well in a YouTube video. While it makes sense, I still would prefer disc brakes in the rear.
Infotainment was upgraded for 2020, but in my 2019, it’s the same as you would get in a Subaru. It’s just okay. No car play or android auto is pretty lame.

That said, I drove all the other mid sized trucks. They all had some pretty big flaws and drawbacks. For a daily driver that sees as much off road as it does pavement, the Taco is the way to go.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
I have an 06 Taco 4 banger/AT access cab. Love it. Definitely NOT a hot rod. Don't know where it was assembled.

I have an '04 V6 RWD xtra cab with over 300k miles on it. I bought it in 2010 when she only had 15K. Done all my own maintenance and never any issues. I get at least 1 offer a year from strangers wanting to buy it. A good indication of the quality is to look at used car lots. You can find Rangers and S-10's all day but kind of challenging to find a Tacoma. If you do it ain't cheap.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Some Tacoma’s were already being made in Mexico. No one batted an eye or cared.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They consolidating manufacturing. Moving the sequoia to TX plant

Tundra and sequoia are supposed to be updating the platform in the next couple of years

I had zero complaints on my 17 Tacoma Pro

Towed my boat without issues

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigdeal:

Power isn’t anemic. It’s 270 or so. It’s not a V8, but for a truck this size, it gets up and goes just fine.
The transmission is that of a standard truck. It doesn’t shift like a sports car, that’s for sure. Now I will admit the first thing I do at startup is click the ECT Power button. But I don’t have any of the transmission issues that everyone on TW bitches about. Maybe it’s because I don’t expect my truck to drive like my E63 AMG did.
Fuel economy does suck. It’s really not good. I pretty much only drive city and off road. Best I’m getting is in the 15-17 range.
The rear drums are explained really well in a YouTube video. While it makes sense, I still would prefer disc brakes in the rear.
Infotainment was upgraded for 2020, but in my 2019, it’s the same as you would get in a Subaru. It’s just okay. No car play or android auto is pretty lame.

That said, I drove all the other mid sized trucks. They all had some pretty big flaws and drawbacks. For a daily driver that sees as much off road as it does pavement, the Taco is the way to go.

I'm in agreement with most of that. Mine is my third Tacoma. Yeah.. I drank the cool aide. Jokes aside it's a pretty darn good truck and fits my
needs. Fits in my garage, I drive 90 in town and get 19 mpg on average. Winter gas screws with that be we all expect that. You can nit pick and find issues with near every production vehicle today. Even the upper tier luxury models.

Mine was built in Mexico. No little issues that I'd contribute to being assembled there. Parts come from all of the standard Toyota suppliers and it boils down to workers on the line, managers that make sure things are done properly. Toyota is not a lackadaisical company. Japanese influence doesn't end at the Mexican boarder. Built in San Antonio vs Mexico, I have no issues other then I'd prefer US built for economic reasons... not quality of the product.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Count me in the made in Mexico, no thanks crowd. To say it is non-issue is true for some. I and many others would say not. I bet if you polled the vast majority of those who own the made in mexico built unit they would have no idea. Most will say that is fine since they have one. Wink
I expect most Toyota owners do not expect their rig to be made south of the border.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Garbage Motors has been building Silverados and Sierras in Mexico for many years. So has Dodge with their Rams. A friend of mine was bragging about his “American made”, then-new 1996 Ram. I had to show him the sticker on the door jamb that said “Made in Mexico”. He was red-faced. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post