SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tacoma production going from Texas to mexico
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tacoma production going from Texas to mexico Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Talk about killing an already ailing unit.
Toyota is losing it mind.
I know there are many owners and fans. Although many people do not care for the latest version. And for good reason.

This will only further GM and Fords in roads with the ranger and Colorado.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
What’s “ailing” about the Tacoma? Sales are increasing year over year since 2014.

I see you edited your op so I’ll edit my post: No way will Ford or Garbage Motors beat Tacoma in sales with their small trucks.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Making the name Taco more appropriate

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
What’s ailing about the Tacoma? Sales are increasing year over year since 2014.
Hmmm, let's see. Anemic power, a spongy transmission, mediocre (at best) fuel economy), rear drum brakes, an infotainment system from 2012, and a number of other smaller issues Toyota refuses to address (see the Tacoma forums for the continual bitching). However, the Tacoma enjoys a cult like following few other vehicles enjoy, and has to compete in a segment with a Nissan Frontier that hasn't been revised or updated in 10+ years, a Ford Ranger that's an absolute recall magnet, and a GM Colorado/Canyon product that's well, a GM product. IMO, Toyota is selling Tacoma's today given they are the least bad option in the category.

Moving production to Mexico is likely to have little effect on the real Toyota faithful, as nothing I can think of will really sway that group away from the Tacoma.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I had a Mexican made Tacoma for 5 years. It was a damn good truck. I miss my Taco. I don’t care where the thing is made, I mean well...I’d prefer it be made in Japan alongside the 4Runner but this is a non issue to me.

My biggest gripe with the Tacoma is the fact that Toyota in its infinite lack of wisdom won’t let you option a 6 speed manual transmission in the 4 door Taco with a long bed. Auto only?! Why Toyota? That tiny bed is useless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21106 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
No way will Ford ... beat Tacoma in sales with their small trucks.

I can only speak from a sample size of one, but I have a 2019 Ranger XLT with the FX4 Off Road package, and my son has a 2017 V6 Tacoma TRD Off Road. Based upon our mutual comparisons, the Ranger has a better ride, gets better gas mileage, and has more payload and towing capacity. The turbo charged Ranger engine paired with the 10 speed transmission gives smoother, more even performance than the V6 Toyota engine with the 6 speed transmission. The interiors are comparable in size, and the difference in layout and features are subject to personal preference. We also have a 2016 Edge, so I am familiar with and comfortable with the Sync system driver interface and prefer it to that of the Tacoma.

I haven't had mine long enough to judge its reliability, but so far so good. So far we've not had any issues with our Edge's reliability, other than the Michelin tires that came on it.

The best part, I paid ~5k less for mine than my son did 2+ years ago. Now, I know his will hold resale value much better, but since I have no plans of selling mine for many years, I don't really care.

I agree that the Toyota has a cult like following, and many people will choose it over the Ford because of its reputation. However, I think if people give the Ford an honest look, they'll see it stacks up favorably. YMMV, of course.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wish Toyota would ditch the composite bed. If you actually use your truck for truck stuff that crappy composite bed gets jacked up quick. Both my father and brother in law have managed to get some large cracks and chips in their plastic bed. The thing isn’t cheap to replace either.

When I did this I managed to put a ton of chips in my bed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21106 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Without a liner, I have to think that's going to mess up any bed, including steel. And scratched up (exposed) steel will rust. Dinged up plastic won't.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I wish Toyota would ditch the composite bed. If you actually use your truck for truck stuff that crappy composite bed gets jacked up quick. Both my father and brother in law have managed to get some large cracks and chips in their plastic bed. The thing isn’t cheap to replace either.

<picture deleted>

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
IMO, Toyota is selling Tacoma's today given they are the least bad option in the category.

Thank you for agreeing with me that it is the best truck in the category. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My 2010 Tacoma was built in the Nummi plant in Fremont CA, months before it closed. Once in a blue moon, I get someone off the street wanting to buy my truck.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
There is ALWAYS bitching on the Tacoma forums, so that isn’t exactly evidence. My 2016 Taco is Texas built, but I have seen zero differences between it and that Mexi-Tacos I have messed with. It’s a great truck.

Most of the complaints I hear leave me wondering why the bitcher didn’t get a full size truck.

I would much rather have the composite bed over a metal one. With the rubber mat, it can take a lot of punishment. Also, comparing a non-turbo V6 to a turbocharged 6 or even 4 cylinder seems like apples to oranges. Stick a turbo on a gen 3 Taco, then talk.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I have 4000 miles on my 2019 Tacoma. And owned it for 5 months. It’s a V6 2wd long bed 4 door. I’m getting 23-24 mpg consistently and no issues at all.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i did not know Tacoma's were previously made in mexico? Other Toyota's also? The article I read only talked about moving current production from Texas to mexico.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
If you actually use your truck for truck stuff that crappy composite bed gets jacked up quick. Both my father and brother in law have managed to get some large cracks and chips in their plastic bed. The thing isn’t cheap to replace either.

(end loader pic)

Holy cow, stick! It's a truck load of rocks! How does one not expect some chips? Razz

- - - - - - -

I had a 2002 Tacoma. I loved it, even with the 4-cylinder engine.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My Taco is 13 years old pushing 190k miles. First problem recently developed when the power locks stopped working. Mine is the TRD Sport, 4x4, long bed 4 door. I'm looking, kind of, for a replacement vehicle. I'll either get a full size for towing or a Taco again.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Tacos are manufactured in both San Antonio and Mexico, so they're moving all production to Mexico, that sucks. Then again most or all Chevy pick ups are made in Mexico, not sure about Ford.

I so much wanted to replace my 2004 Tundra Access Cab manual transmission with a new Tacoma Access Cab manual, and Toyota manufactures this configuration in San Antonio.... but only for Canada, not available in the US.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
most or all Chevy pick ups are made in Mexico

Most are made in Flint, MI and Ft Wayne, IN. Some are made in Silao (?) Mexico.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My 2009 Taco was built in The People’s Republic Of Kalifornia...and it has been one of the best vehicles I have owned...if they move the manufacture south of the border I only hope they keep the quality up...we do call them Tacos after all Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have an 06 Taco 4 banger/AT access cab. Love it. Definitely NOT a hot rod. Don't know where it was assembled.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I heard this on the local San Antonio news a couple of nights ago, and I found it sad since I don’t want a vehicle popular to me built in Mexico. The other reason is that I don’t want San Antonio to lose jobs, but at least they wil build other Toyota models in its place.

I can’t remember where my ‘03 double cab 4x4 TRD was made, but if it was Mexico, I’m not going to go out and sell it.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1170 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post