SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bubble-Wrapped Americans: How the U.S. Became Obsessed with Physical and Emotional Safety
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bubble-Wrapped Americans: How the U.S. Became Obsessed with Physical and Emotional Safety Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I noticed this when I bought my first motorcycle. I’m a millennial and out of my circle of friends only two people were supportive of me riding. The rest of my chucklehead safety obsessed friends acted like I took up Russian roulette as a new hobby. Roll Eyes

I’m a baby boomer (tail end) and had the same experience when I rode sport bikes in the 90’s. I was an odd duck compared to my golfing buddies!

Motorcyclists have been viewed as extremists (at best) for the history of the machine. There was a brief period in the 70’s when it was more mainstream. As a kid, I was not the only one riding dirt bikes around the neighborhood. But I think that was a unique brief moment in the history of motorcycling. I’m sure you’ve seen On Any Sunday, but that film very much captures that unique period and how it had evolved from the hoodlum gang perception of the 50/60’s.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FHHM213:
My point is that we will all die and ultimately we have no ability to avoid it and we have little ability to influence its timing nor manner.

There's a hell of a lot that you can do to influence the time and manner. A hell of a lot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Eat well & exercise, drink in moderation if at all? Or eat complete garbage, be a couch potato, and drink oneself falling down drunk. Wonder if it might have an impact on one’s longevity. Drive only when well rested and completely sober, or drive fitshaced and exhausted, hmmm, wonder if one’s choices might affect one’s longevity.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
My point is that we will all die and ultimately we have no ability to avoid it and we have little ability to influence its timing nor manner.

There's a hell of a lot that you can do to influence the time and manner. A hell of a lot.

To really influence the time you can commit suicide now! Of course, if you're not competent ...

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say again?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Say again?

Don’t worry. I read the “nice” suggestion as directed to me, not you.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Say again?

Don’t worry. I read the “nice” suggestion as directed to me, not you.

You know, that also occurred to me as a way the one can have more immediate control rather than influence, but I didn’t mention it lest someone take as a suggestion. As Para mentioned some time ago, if we aren’t free to choose our exit, we aren’t free. That’s not a direct quote, I believe he said it more eloquently, but you get the drift.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought nothing of the suggestion, regardless of word choice.

I never argued for passivity or surrender. I simply argued that life eventually teaches a humbling lesson. At that point, blame shifting and simplistic cause-&-effect explanations are meaningless.

Thanks though.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I simply argued that life eventually teaches a humbling lesson.
Damn if that isn't true. Eventually, little Georgie Minafer gets his comeuppance.

"Money won't change you, but life will take you on." - James Brown

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha!

But the Eugenes don’t always get to see it!

I’ll have to watch that soon. Thanks Para.

posted Hide Post
In the 40’s and 50’s I lived on a farm so a lot of this don’t apply, but my wife lived in town and in the summer the kids were out side in the neighborhood all day except for lunch and went home at night when neighborhood grocery turned the lights out.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Here's a PRIME example of the hysteria-fed sheep that occupy this land. This Fakebook conversation took place in our "private" group from work...

Original Post from different person: Now that the CDC has reported that there is a low likelihood of getting the virus from touching surfaces, have the hotel gyms started to reopen?

Soy-Boy: It’s not the surfaces I’m afraid of. It’s the person on the treadmill huffing and puffing the Covid that they don’t know they are infected with.....

Me: So were you terrified when 60,800,000 cases of swine flu ravaged through the country in '09/'10 and NOTHING was said? I'll bet you weren't and didn't give it a second thought. I'd even bet you worked out around DOZENS...maybe HUNDREDS...of people who were infected with H1N1 and didn't even know it. Break the cycle of fear...turn off the "news". You'll thank me later...

Soy-Boy: Based on the facts about this particular virus I think my concerns are valid.

Oh good grief... Roll Eyes I didn't even bother trying to explain anything else to Mr. Soy-Boy. What a puss...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post