SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone send their kid to Junior National Young Leaders Conference?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone send their kid to Junior National Young Leaders Conference? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
So my son was nominated by some of his teachers to attend this event in D.C. next summer. Its not cheap, and I am not super thrilled about putting him on a plane and sending him off with nobody he knows to a conference in D.C. with people he doesn't know for a week. He is 13. And he is a very advanced kid for his age when it comes to school work, but still a 13 year old boy as far as maturity goes.

I may just go with him, and then sight see while he attends the conference.

Has anyone had experience with this? Is it worth it?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I have some experience here. I taught middle school for nearly a decade and saw several organizations (including this one) host "experiences" for "advanced, gifted, talented, special" kids at premium prices.

What many of my students' parents told me was all the different "conferences" were basically glorified summer camps with an exorbitant price tag. They also told me that attendance in one of the conferences "opened doors" to basically a million other "exclusive" opportunities put on by other organizations...organizations they found to be owned by the same larger parent company.

Many of the kids were later contacted by scholarship agencies (owned by the same company who hosted the other events) who made big promises of finding scholarships...for a fee.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Most are wildly expensive... there are some legit camps out there. Boys State, Model UN .... we send cadets to a SLC Senior Leadership Camp and Drill camps but those are ran by specific organizations with specific requirements.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
I have some experience here. I taught middle school for nearly a decade and saw several organizations (including this one) host "experiences" for "advanced, gifted, talented, special" kids at premium prices.

What many of my students' parents told me was all the different "conferences" were basically glorified summer camps with an exorbitant price tag. They also told me that attendance in one of the conferences "opened doors" to basically a million other "exclusive" opportunities put on by other organizations...organizations they found to be owned by the same larger parent company.

Many of the kids were later contacted by scholarship agencies (owned by the same company who hosted the other events) who made big promises of finding scholarships...for a fee.

Thank you, this is kind of what I was worried about

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post