Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Utah Login/Join 
Picture of RR
posted
Visiting Utah for a couple days. In Zion and headed to Salt Lake. Looking for any recommendations from those who know? Thanks

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
What are you interested in doing while in Salt Lake City? Temple Square is a good visit even if you aren’t religious and the Sunday Tabernacle Choir broadcast is free and open to the public.

I would also suggest you take the Timpanogos Highway exit in Northern Utah County (just before Salt Lake County) and take the drive through American Fork Canyon up to Sundance and down through Provo Canyon. Nice hour two detour through a beautiful canyon. Be advised there is a fee as it is a part of the Nation Park/Monument system.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I could have helped with Zion, I live 20 miles away, but am no help with SLC. I'm guessing there is still some nice color up north in the canyons.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UTsig:
I could have helped with Zion, I live 20 miles away, but am no help with SLC. I'm guessing there is still some nice color up north in the canyons.[/QUOTE

My wife and I are in Zion until tomorrow. Going to visit the park. What do you recommend in restaurants?

Posts: 436 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
What are you interested in doing while in Salt Lake City? Temple Square is a good visit even if you aren’t religious and the Sunday Tabernacle Choir broadcast is free and open to the public.

I would also suggest you take the Timpanogos Highway exit in Northern Utah County (just before Salt Lake County) and take the drive through American Fork Canyon up to Sundance and down through Provo Canyon. Nice hour two detour through a beautiful canyon. Be advised there is a fee as it is a part of the Nation Park/Monument system.

Planning to head to Salt Lake tomorrow afternoon and fly out Saturday. Was going to try and swing by Blade HQ on the way up.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by UTsig:
I could have helped with Zion, I live 20 miles away, but am no help with SLC. I'm guessing there is still some nice color up north in the canyons.[/QUOTE

My wife and I are in Zion until tomorrow. Going to visit the park. What do you recommend in restaurants?

Park should be beautiful today, with the rain comes waterfalls!! Our favorite restaurants are Oscars, Whiptails and the Park House Café for breakfast.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Oscar’s was good. Thanks!

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Go to Zion. Visit Bryce. Stay there.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

Bryce is on the plans for tomorrow.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Visit Kanab. Good restaurants and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Take a tour.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

Bryce is on the plans for tomorrow.

You're really going to like Bryce. It is by far my favorite Natl Park in Utah. The temp may be a bit on the cool side so check the local weather.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BB61:
Planning to head to Salt Lake tomorrow afternoon and fly out Saturday. Was going to try and swing by Blade HQ on the way up.

Blade HQ is in Utah County (just before Salt Lake) in Pleasant Grove which is right next To American Fork where Stealth Gear has its store. If you are in American Fork and/or Pleasant Grove, you are about 5-7 minutes from the mouth of American Fork Canyon If you are planning on going to Blade HQ, you should hit the Alpine Loop that I mentioned earlier (which is American Fork Canyon). https://utah.com/scenic-drive/alpine-loop.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

Blade HQ is in Utah County (just before Salt Lake) in Pleasant Grove which is right next To American Fork where Stealth Gear has its store. If you are in American Fork and/or Pleasant Grove, you are about 5-7 minutes from the mouth of American Fork Canyon If you are planning on going to Blade HQ, you should hit the Alpine Loop that I mentioned earlier (which is American Fork Canyon). https://utah.com/scenic-drive/alpine-loop.

Didn’t even realize about stealth gear! Have to check that out! Thanks for the suggestions everyone

posted Hide Post
Two triple D restaurants I enjoy when work takes me to Salt Lake: red iguana, Pat's BBQ.

Posts: 365 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Food in Bryce, Ruby's, is terrible, out on the hiway a little West of Bryce is Bryce Canyon Pines, very good.

posted Hide Post
When in Salt Lake City, go up Big Cottonwood Canyon. Absolutely beautiful up there.
Food everywhere is decent and Mexican restaurants aplenty.
Take UT 111 on the west side of the valley for some nice views.
Park City is up Parley's Canyon (I-80) and has a lot to do also.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RR:

how did I not know BladeHQ was right next to me....

But I agree about the Alpine Loop. It's beautiful - although the weather today is rainy and cold.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
If you get near Ogden, the John Browning Museum is very interesting.

http://theunionstation.org/joh...ing-firearms-museum/

If you are a history or train fan, Promontory Point is also interesting.
https://www.nps.gov/gosp/index.htm

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just went there in July. If you have the time in Salt Lake and are interested in your genealogy make sure to stop at the LDS Family history center. Super helpful, I went in with my dad's birth date and left an hour later with a family tree going back to teh 1800's into Ireland!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:

You're really going to like Bryce. It is by far my favorite Natl Park in Utah.

I'd say it is my favorite National Park in the whole SouthWest! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post