SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mental health days
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mental health days Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
That's what my mom would call them when I was young. Maybe once a year when I'd get really stressed out with school and sports, she'd keep my home from school to do something fun. I've had an insanely stressful year with my business, so halfway to work I call my best friend who works from home, and told him I'd be over at noon, promptly did a U-turn and packed my bags. What a perfect day, and we had the range all to ourselves. If you end up getting stressed out to the point you have trouble sleeping, I highly recommend taking a random day off to just have fun.

pix host

pix host

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double thumbs up. Good call.

P229

Posts: 3836 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good on you.

What torso target is that? I have thought about acquiring one or two, but the ones I have found were pretty expensive.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Where is it that you shoot at?

I read an article recently about people being open with their employers about taking a "mental health" day once in a while. No need to call in with a fake cough, just tell them the truth and try to spend the day shedding stress.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Good on you.

What torso target is that? I have thought about acquiring one or two, but the ones I have found were pretty expensive.

It's a company called rubber dummies. We have probably 5k rounds through this one and it looks like it'll take at least another 10k before falling apart. Definitely going to order another one or two

https://www.rubberdummies.com/

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

I read an article recently about people being open with their employers about taking a "mental health" day once in a while. No need to call in with a fake cough, just tell them the truth and try to spend the day shedding stress.

I think that would be a great idea. If one of my guys came to me and said "I need a day off to decompress, or take my kids on a random beach day trip" I'd absolutely let them.

The range is a private one called ridge valley rod and gun club. It's all outdoor, the pistol range is pictured above, they have 25, 50 and 100 yard rifle ranges, and it's always deserted. Membership is only $60/year too. I love it

├┼┼╕
246R

Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I think you should be able to use a sick day or personal day and actually tell your boss that you just don't feel like coming in today. Big Grin

If I Google'd the right place, that's up above Quakertown?

I was trying to get into a place around the corner from me but they weren't taking new members for quite a while, then when they updated their website that said they were my uncle (who is a member there) emailed them to put my name in and they gave him the run around. I don't want to have to deal with any BS or politics at a gun club. I just want to pay my dues, put in my time if required and shoot when I want to.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you should be able to use a sick day or personal day and actually tell your boss that you just don't feel like coming in today. Big Grin

What are these "sick days" you speak of. I've only called my staff to cancel patients twice in 25 years.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I Google'd the right place, that's up above Quakertown?

I was trying to get into a place around the corner from me but they weren't taking new members for quite a while, then when they updated their website that said they were my uncle (who is a member there) emailed them to put my name in and they gave him the run around. I don't want to have to deal with any BS or politics at a gun club. I just want to pay my dues, put in my time if required and shoot when I want to.

yup, it's above quakertown. I live 40 minutes away and go 2-3 times a month. I'm not actually a member, my buddy Steve is. If you're interested I think you can apply online.

quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

What are these "sick days" you speak of.

yea, never heard of them. Are those the same as that mythical vacation I keep hearing about?

├┼┼╕
246R

Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'm totally with you on hitting the reset button now and then.

For me it's maybe one day in the summer my motorcycle just doesn't turn into the work driveway and I usually end up somewhere on the beach. I go alone and just ride without a destination escaping everyone and everything to decompress.

Getting close to that time.

Cheers~

Posts: 906 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
I'm totally with you on hitting the reset button now and then.

For me it's maybe one day in the summer my motorcycle just doesn't turn into the work driveway and I usually end up somewhere on the beach. I go alone and just ride without a destination escaping everyone and everything to decompress.

Getting close to that time.

Cheers~

I swear everyone should do it. I haven't taken a vacation in probably 6 years, haven't worked LESS than 70-80 hour weeks in the same amount of time. My wife is house sitting for her parents, so I got to come home, eat pizza, watch shit she doesn't like on TV, drink a little too much, I feel 100x better today, I think I was becoming ineffective I was so stressed out.

├┼┼╕
246R

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I think that would be a great idea. If one of my guys came to me and said "I need a day off to decompress, or take my kids on a random beach day trip" I'd absolutely let them.

I'm lucky to have a boss that is ok with that. If I need a day, I can take one without stressing about it. I don't abuse it, and my coworkers don't abuse it, so it works really well. I still have to get my work done, but it's great knowing if I'm having a crappy day for whatever reason I can just take off.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
If i google'd the right place, that's up above Quakertown?

Where do you live? Are you local to quakertown?

├┼┼╕
246R

Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
quote:
If i google'd the right place, that's up above Quakertown?

Where do you live? Are you local to quakertown?
I'm in Lower Bucks near Trenton. Quakertown is about an hour to hour and a half drive.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how to pull that off. I'm retired so I don't get sick days, or days off. Just the same old drag. Sleep in, drag myself up, play on the computer. Then I take my wife to lunch and then play with my guns. Some days I need to pay off/bribe the mower guy. Today is a scheduled 127 flea market drive. Its tough I tell you.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a company called rubber dummies.

Thank you. That doesn’t seem like too terrible a price as compared with the type of three-dimensional targets I’ve seen elsewhere.

Can you tell me how large the “kill” packs are? It seems like they’d be useful for certain types of training even if not used in conjunction with the dummy.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
It's a company called rubber dummies.

Thank you. That doesn’t seem like too terrible a price as compared with the type of three-dimensional targets I’ve seen elsewhere.

Can you tell me how large the “kill” packs are? It seems like they’d be useful for certain types of training even if not used in conjunction with the dummy.

the little red dust packs? We stopped using them after a few trips, more of a gimmick than anything honestly. the dust doesnt really spray out like it appears to in videos. Theres a cavity maybe... 4" tall by 3" wide on the back of the head that you pin the little packets in. I honestly forgot it came with them haha. if you keep the dummy painted (we started using primer instead of their expensive paint) you can see exactly where your shots are landing.

::edit::

maybe the cavity is a little bigger than I initially said. This shows you how they look after... probably 5-6k rounds of 9mm, 45acp, 223, a few 308s. just dont use HP ammo. I took a few shots yesterday with HP's and it really tore it up, I'd say you lose probably half the life of the dummy

and his body

├┼┼╕
246R