SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP George H.W. Bush
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP George H.W. Bush Login/Join 
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/form...news-topstories.html

Former President George H.W. Bush dead at 94 originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

George Herbert Walker Bush, the 41st president of the United States, has died at age 94.

His death was announced by his family Friday night on Twitter. The president's health had been in decline in recent months.

Bush was admitted to Houston Methodist Hospital with a blood infection on April 22 -- two days after the funeral for his wife of 73 years, former first lady Barbara Bush.

He is survived by his five children, including former President George W. Bush and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

Bush was with there his wife when she died at the age of 92 on April 17.

"He of course is broken-hearted to lose his beloved Barbara, his wife of 73 years. He held her hand all day and was at her side when [she] left this good earth," a statement from his office said after her death. "But it will not surprise all of you who know and love him, that he also is being stoic and strong, and is being lifted up by his large and supportive family."

Bush was a key part of his family’s political dynasty. His father was a senator; and his son George W. Bush was president from 2001 to 2009.

He served two terms as President Ronald Reagan's second in command and became the first incumbent vice president to be elected president since Martin Van Buren in 1836.

But Bush's tenure in the White House was limited to four years. He was defeated for re-election by Democrat Bill Clinton in 1992. A weakened economy, a limited domestic agenda and a broken promise against raising taxes contributed to Bush's defeat.

Bush was a one-time oil executive who spent years in government service, including terms as CIA director, ambassador to the United Nations and liaison to the People's Republic of China. He was also elected to the House of Representatives as a congressman from Texas. Following his time in the White House, he and his wife moved to Houston, where they led a relatively quiet life.

Bush began experiencing health problems during his presidency. In 1991, he was treated at a hospital for an irregular heartbeat. Doctors diagnosed him as having Graves disease, a thyroid condition that, by coincidence, his wife also had.

Bush experienced a recurrence of the irregular heartbeat in February 2000, when he was attending a reception in Naples, Florida. He spent a night in the hospital, but smiled and joked with reporters the next day.

In November 2012, he was admitted to a Houston hospital for bronchitis and a chronic cough. He was expected to return home well before Christmas but remained hospitalized after the holiday. Officials said he had a high fever and had been placed on a liquids-only diet.

In 2017, the former president was admitted to the intensive care unit at Houston Methodist Hospital to "address an acute respiratory problem stemming from pneumonia," according to his office.

His family has said publicly that the former president was no longer able to walk unassisted, a frustration for a man who enjoyed an active lifestyle of golf, fishing, jogging and power walks on the beach near his summer home in Maine.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
AMF

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
AMF
Unless that is being used to mean something other than its most common meaning, you have zero class, and should be ashamed of yourself.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
AMF

^^This^^

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, you will mind your manners, please.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
That's harsh.

RIP Bush 41

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
AMF
Unless that is being used to mean something other than its most common meaning, you have zero class, and should be ashamed of yourself.

No. George H.W. Bush should have been ashamed of himself.

I will feel for his family and the loss they are going through, but nothing more.

ETA: Apologies Para, I posted before seeing your's.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
AMF

Confused

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I had great respect for this President. May he rest in peace. I served while he was CINC. Further, he was not an activist after leaving office. A peaceful transfer of power.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Fine, Gustofer. You've had your say.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I respect his service in WWII. I don't think he did much for the nation as a president. My condolences to the family.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his family and friends.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I will miss him. RIP.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His life was full and diverse to say the least, you could say he epitomized the Greatest Generation: Navy fighter pilot, businessman, congressman, UN Ambassador, RNC Chair, diplomat to China, DCI, VPOUS and POTUS. That's quite a life.

Posts: 14572 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
GHWB had his faults, but I'm not going to kick him after he died. Some of his actions were things I did not approve of, but I'm sure that there were others that were necessary. He was a war hero and a devoted husband and father. Those attributes alone should be worthy of note--there are so many men today who lack them.

RIP GHWB

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
R.I.P. I respect the man’s WWII service and condolences to his family. As a politician, I have very mixed opinions and I will leave it at that.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
He was a gentleman and was not mean enough to smack down the Democrats who opposed him and his policies. I worked under his leadership when he was the Director of the CIA.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Ditto flashguy.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
RIP 41
I think it has become pouplar to pick on the Bush family, for a lot of reasons.
They have been a wealthy family for a long time, and a modern political dynasty.

But, let's not forget this man flew 58 combat missions in WW2, and parachuted out of a burning plane after completing a torpedo mission.

I worked with a retired Marine who served at the WH during the end of the Reagan, and beginning of the Bush eras. Ron and Nancy were aloof and didn't even acknowledge the young Marines that were steps away all day, at attention.
In contrast George would call them in and BS for a while to break the day up a little, while making the Secret service man the post. Barbara was one of his favorite people of all time, knew everyone's name, baked cookies and brung them to the squad room personally, inquired about their families etc etc.
Which type of leader would you want serve?

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
RIP

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post