SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP George H.W. Bush
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP George H.W. Bush Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I have friends doing the funeral flyover in TX tomorrow.

Supposed to be a 21 plane formation...

Very appropriate for one of only two Presidents that were fighter pilots.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
... WTF has the bamster ever done interesting other than become president?

Male prostitution?

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I love this photo of the former president skydiving on his 80th birthday. Particularly the way the Army parachute team is looking after their former Commander-In-Chief. And just now, I notice the thumbs-up from the two to the sides. Team effort.

Click image for bigger image

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Air Force 1 is the call sign of a AF plane when the current President is on it. Otherwise it's just a AF plane. Doesn't matter what President Trumps calls it.

Is that really a distinction worth wasting time on in this thread?

DaBigBR

Why not? Not everyone knows that little piece of trivia and I’d think most members would like to be aware of the difference.

Ronin thanks for answering him.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I was able to watch the ceremony today. It was very moving. An amazing life that I never really knew about. (Although he was the first president I voted for). An amazing man. I often wondered if his experience of having to "hit the silk" during the war lead to his doing those parachute jumps as he got older. A challenge in his youth and a challenge in his later years.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Air Force 1 is the call sign of a AF plane when the current President is on it. Otherwise it's just a AF plane. Doesn't matter what President Trumps calls it.

Is that really a distinction worth wasting time on in this thread?

DaBigBR

Why not? Not everyone knows that little piece of trivia and I’d think most members would like to be aware of the difference.

Ronin thanks for answering him.

Actually, I learned that very interesting factoid right here. So, thank you, charlie12.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6gyPC9DYzU

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
I love this photo of the former president skydiving on his 80th birthday. Particularly the way the Army parachute team is looking after their former Commander-In-Chief. And just now, I notice the thumbs-up from the two to the sides. Team effort.

Click image for bigger image

Interview with the Golden Knight who took him three times.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I served in the Navy under President Bush. Fair winds and following seas Mr. President.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

That was in 2002, when the younger Bush was president. Pretty sure that's to whom he was referring.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very dignified service. RIP Mr. President.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I was able to watch the ceremony today. It was very moving.

Saw parts of it, and quite agree.

I always thought it unfair he was at best given a nodding acknowledgement for German re-unification compared to the enthusiast celebration of Mikhail Gorbachev in popular opinion here. The truth is that if it had been just for Gorbachev with no GHWB, there wouldn't have been any re-unification either, which required consent of all four major WW II allies. Margaret Thatcher and Francois Mitterand were pretty much against it, fearing renewed German dominance in Europe (which arguably was indeed the result).

Gorbachev certainly set the process in motion by cutting off support for the Warsaw Pact states, which had become an unsustainable burden for the USSR (lot least due to Ronald Reagan's policies). But he would have been happy to keep the DDR alive, and subsequently floated the old Soviet idea of a united, but neutral Germany, out of NATO - which was even more unpalatable to the Western powers, and also to the West German government. It's largely due to Bush, who stood squarely behind the latter, that the result was a united Germany within NATO - albeit with the obligation of no allied basing in its eastern part. At least upon his death his steadfast friendship and support was highlighted by local media.

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

Wow. I pleasantly shocked and I have a newfound respect for Johnny Ramone.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The most disgusting/disturbing part of this whole event was the Media. The same Media that was brutal on GHWB during his presidency, as well as W and even worse On President Trump could not pour out enough "Accolades" for the man.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
The most disgusting/disturbing part of this whole event was the Media. The same Media that was brutal on GHWB during his presidency, as well as W and even worse On President Trump could not pour out enough "Accolades" for the man.
Yeah, just like they did with McCain. The media's hypocrisy has no limits.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

We happened upon this on Hardy Toll Road today on our way home from the museum. Fair winds and following seas.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

We happened upon this on Hardy Toll Road today on our way home from the museum. Fair winds and following seas.

Very cool tigereye

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Just wonderful....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My wife checked our oldest (2nd grade) out of school early to be present for the train passing by.
We live about 3-4 miles from the start of the route.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fortunate to be able to visit in the church last night, it was a long wait but worth it.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post