SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP George H.W. Bush
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP George H.W. Bush Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Saluting a soldier, patriot, and leader.

I had a thought, would Sig Forum correct me if I am wrong . Bush 41 will most likely be the last President we will have to have served in WWII or Korea.

I would say that's absolutely true. At the very least would have to be born in 1935 to have served in Korea right? 18 in 1953 when it ended. So that puts you at 83 now.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Saluting a soldier, patriot, and leader.

I had a thought, would Sig Forum correct me if I am wrong . Bush 41 will most likely be the last President we will have to have served in WWII or Korea.

I would say that's absolutely true. At the very least would have to be born in 1935 to have served in Korea right? 18 in 1953 when it ended. So that puts you at 83 now.

TY

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Great guy! I had the honor of being detailed to him a couple times during his visits to NY as VP and later as President. Also got a tour of the White House with my kids during his presidency.

As VP he let us snag anything from his plane that wasn’t welded down for souvenirs, leaving zip for the politicians who arrived later. As president he was apologetic that the Secret Service wouldn’t allow it.

He hosted a BBQ fundraiser once and the promoters bought a 4 foot sandwich for cops and ambulance personnel assigned but he found out and made sure we got the same food the bigwigs were dining on, in unlimited quantities. We ate like kings and took tons home.

I’ll say again, great guy.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace Mr. President.

Thank you for your service to this country.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I was fishing with a friend off the coast of Kennebunk when we thought the Bush family was away (there was no media stating they were in town as there usually was).
All of a sudden there was another boat, and as my buddy thought there were going to harass us for the fishing spot, I realized they had weapons trained on us, and we immediately powered down and put our hands up.
Once we were investigated and determined to be a non threat, the Bush's sailed over and apologized for disturbing our fishing. We apologized and explained ourselves, but they wouldn't hear it, they kept stating that we did nothing wrong, and that they were the sorry party.

We left the area afterwards, and still haven't dared to fish that area again.

That exchange changed my view of 41, we may look at his Presidency from different angles, but to me the man himself was a class act, and I join the others in mourning.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A long time ago, when a cast member of SNL could do an impression of the President in a good natured, respectful manner. Carvey and President Bush, did in fact, become friends and appeared together on a number of occasions, including this one:

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have friends doing the funeral flyover in TX tomorrow.

Supposed to be a 21 plane formation.

The Navy, representing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Love stories like this, his secret service code name Timberwolf.

Why the Secret Service loved former President George H.W. Bush

Secret Service agents tell how George H. W. Bush would raid the kitchen with them at 3 a.m. for milk and cookies and stay in DC Christmas Eve so they could spend it with their families

WASHINGTON — Just before midnight on Friday evening, I received the news from a current US Secret Service agent. His message said, “We lost Timberwolf — a part of us is gone.”

Reading these nine words, I was heavy with sorrow — for both the Bush family and for the agency. In addition to losing a father, statesman and public servant, we lost a man who had become the shining example of integrity and kindness during the 38 years we had the honor of protecting him.

George H.W. Bush, whose protective call sign was “Timberwolf,” was arguably the agency’s most beloved protectee.
I had met a young man Ronin who was Secret Service at the Bush property in Maine. At a gun counter we talked a bit and I believe he showed me the slickest removal of a P229 slide assembly I have seen yet.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I was fishing with a friend off the coast of Kennebunk when we thought the Bush family was away (there was no media stating they were in town as there usually was).
All of a sudden there was another boat, and as my buddy thought there were going to harass us for the fishing spot, I realized they had weapons trained on us, and we immediately powered down and put our hands up.
Once we were investigated and determined to be a non threat, the Bush's sailed over and apologized for disturbing our fishing. We apologized and explained ourselves, but they wouldn't hear it, they kept stating that we did nothing wrong, and that they were the sorry party.

We left the area afterwards, and still haven't dared to fish that area again.

That exchange changed my view of 41, we may look at his Presidency from different angles, but to me the man himself was a class act, and I join the others in mourning.

I spent many summer vacations a few miles up the beach from there as a kid in the late 60's-early 70's. That was before they were well known or either served as President. My family continued to go there through the 80's.
We always wondered who lived in the beautiful place out on the end of the point. There were some beautiful places nearby for tourists like us to explore and enjoy the scenery.
In all those years nobody had anything to say about them except how nice they were and how they went out of their way to be regular people and make others feel comfortable. HW used to sneak off in his Cigarette boat to some of the local places and talked to everyone like he was just one of the boys.

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
When Jenna Bush Hager slid her hand over the Flag on her grandfather’s casket as she passed by, I nearly lost it.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same for me, when W patted the coffin as if patting his Dad on the shoulder.

I could see that W had steeled himself for this moment, maybe for quite a while. Well done, W.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Same for me, when W patted the coffin as if patting his Dad on the shoulder.

I could see that W had steeled himself for this moment, maybe for quite a while. Well done, W.

He gave a very good eulogy and almost made it to the end without breaking down. That put a lump in my throat. a very poignant moment for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I’ve been hearing story after story of how good and loving the Bush family was and is. I’ve heard stories that could have been used for political gain, but weren’t...In fact if it were not for these folks coming out of the woodwork to tell of how H.W. reached out to them, helped them, and loved them we would know nothing about it, because it seems these acts were done for all the right reasons.

For my small part I say, well done sir.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
The first President I ever voted for. I may not have always agreed with all his policies or positions on certain things, but there is no doubt he was a dedicated husband and father, a patriot, and tireless public servant that accomplished many great things during his service as a soldier and a politician. From his service in World War II to the fall of the Berlin wall and the end of the Cold War, thank you for your service President Bush. God Bless and Rest In Peace.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The first President that I ever voted for, and the only one I ever saw in person (was Vice President at the time). I was able to watch a good share of the funeral at lunch time, I was surprised at how emotional I became during certain parts.

As I look back on the Presidents that have served in my life time, he was one of the two greats. The current one is still serving so I cannot look back yet.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:
Originally posted by nra-life-member:
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
Not AF 1 without the current President on it.

President Donald Trump on Saturday said he’s sending Air Force One to bring the late President George H.W. Bush’s casket to Washington, according to a pool report.

“Air Force One will be taking myself and a group of our people back to Washington. It will then be reset and it will be sent to Houston to pick up the casket of President Bush and it will be sent back to Washington,” Trump said from Buenos Aires, Argentina, where he is attending the G-20 summit.

Trump added it was “a special tribute that he deserves very much.”

Air Force 1 is the call sign of a AF plane when the current President is on it. Otherwise it's just a AF plane. Doesn't matter what President Trumps calls it.

Is that really a distinction worth wasting time on in this thread?

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Air Force 1 is the call sign of a AF plane when the current President is on it. Otherwise it's just a AF plane. Doesn't matter what President Trumps calls it.

Is that really a distinction worth wasting time on in this thread?

DaBigBR

Why not? Not everyone knows that little piece of trivia and I’d think most members would like to be aware of the difference.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SAM 41 just flew over after flying over college station. Was pretty cool to witness.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Watching the funeral and learning more about him, I am struck by the contrast of substance, experience, humility and American values between him the bamster. WTF has the bamster ever done interesting other than become president?

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post