SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP George H.W. Bush
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP George H.W. Bush Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;

So it shall be with President Bush (41).

Rest in peace, sir.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Condolences to the Bush family.

He was a good man, and, IMO, a good President.

I really regret he didn't win a second term, for a host of reasons.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Fair winds and following seas Mr. President.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
GHWB had his faults, but I'm not going to kick him after he died. Some of his actions were things I did not approve of, but I'm sure that there were others that were necessary. He was a war hero and a devoted husband and father. Those attributes alone should be worthy of note--there are so many men today who lack them.

RIP GHWB

flashguy

I second this whole heartedly

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
RIP

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unlike that skirt chasing smooth taking Saxophone player who followed him, GHWB had class.

RIP Mr. President.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Like all of him, none of him or anything in between, one still must admit he was a gentleman.

May he enjoy the peace he fought for and earned for himself, and all of us.

^^^^^^^^^^
Very well said.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
First president I voted for. I had only been 18 for a few months and could not wait to get to the polls to vote.
RIP

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Like all of him, none of him or anything in between, one still must admit he was a gentleman.

May he enjoy the peace he fought for and earned for himself, and all of us.

Agreed. RIP.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fox News says the Bush family assured DJT that he is welcome to attend the funeral. The discussion was after Barbara Bush died and GHWB's death had to be addressed, it was settled then, and reaffirmed this morning. Trump said in Argentina that he will attend.

I don't remember GHWB's Presidency as bad times, as so many members here do. Certainly the "No new taxes" backtrack irritated the shit out of me, but in-all I respected and liked him.

As much as I admired H Ross Perot, I wish he had gotten the fuck out of the way, especially after some incident over his daughter made him look like a fool, which he most certainly was not. The US would have been an infinitely better place, if not for Slick Willie, and I wish GHWB had been able to dissuade Perot from running. We may even have been able to avoid Obama if not for Clinton.

RIP

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your service, Sir. RIP.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr.President.

I'm glad President Trump will attend the funeral.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
No politician is a perfect man, but GHWB was a good and decent man, which is a rare thing in Washington and more important than a lot of other small stuff that people may hold against him. May he rest in peace with his beloved Barbara.

I was writing something but the above captured captures what I was going to say.

Perot screwed him and us, it was the first election I voted in.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good man who served his country long and well. Rest in peace.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met him and The First Lady in Norfolk, VA at the USS Iowa memorial service. They went to each one of the families and shook hands, hugged and said a few words. As they were leaving, they both had tears in their eyes.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I proudly voted for H.W. twice. I thought he served honorably, though I did not agree with him across the board.

I lost a lot of respect for the whole Bush clan during the 2016 election. Had they had their way, we would have Hildabeast in the WH right now.

All of that said, RIP Mr. President. Prayers for your family.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think he was all that great a President but it seems clear to me that he was a patriot and a brave man with a long history of service to us.
RIP Mr. President.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still processing my thoughts; in the Reserves during Desert Shield/Desert Storm and with troops being mobilized left and right, I knew he and the nation had my back if sent. Untold thousands may have felt that too and fought accordingly.

RIP Mr. President.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Flag to half staff for 30 days. Is that SOP for a passing former President?
RIP Sir.

SNIP:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, in honor and tribute to the memory of President George H.W. Bush, and as an expression of public sorrow, do hereby direct that the flag of the United States be displayed at half-staff at the White House and on all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions for a period of 30 days from the day of his death.

Full text: (no link, received via e-mail)

Presidential Proclamation Announcing the Death of George H.W. Bush

It is my sorrowful duty to announce officially the death of George Herbert Walker Bush, the forty-first President of the United States, on November 30, 2018.

President Bush led a great American life, one that combined and personified two of our Nation's greatest virtues: an entrepreneurial spirit and a commitment to public service. Our country will greatly miss his inspiring example.

On the day he turned 18, 6 months after the attack on Pearl Harbor, George H.W. Bush volunteered for combat duty in the Second World War. The youngest aviator in United States naval history at the time, he flew 58 combat missions, including one in which, after taking enemy fire, he parachuted from his burning plane into the Pacific Ocean. After the war, he returned home and started a business. In his words, "the big thing" he learned from this endeavor was "the satisfaction of creating jobs."

The same unselfish spirit that motivated his business pursuits later inspired him to resume the public service he began as a young man. First, as a member of Congress, then as Ambassador to the United Nations, Chief of the United States Liaison Office in China, Director of Central Intelligence, Vice President, and finally President of the United States, George H.W. Bush guided our Nation through the Cold War, to its peaceful and victorious end, and into the decades of prosperity that have followed. Through sound judgment, practical wisdom, and steady leadership, President Bush made safer the second half of a tumultuous and dangerous century.

Even with all he accomplished in service to our Nation, President Bush remained humble. He never believed that government - even when under his own leadership - could be the source of our Nation's strength or its greatness. America, he rightly told us, is illuminated by "a thousand points of light," "ethnic, religious, social, business, labor union, neighborhood, regional and other organizations, all of them varied, voluntary and unique" in which Americans serve Americans to build and maintain the greatest Nation on the face of the Earth. President Bush recognized that these communities of people are the true source of America's strength and vitality.

It is with great sadness that we mark the passing of one of America's greatest points of light, the death of President George H.W. Bush.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, in honor and tribute to the memory of President George H.W. Bush, and as an expression of public sorrow, do hereby direct that the flag of the United States be displayed at half-staff at the White House and on all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions for a period of 30 days from the day of his death. I also direct that, for the same length of time, the representatives of the United States in foreign countries shall make similar arrangements for the display of the flag at half staff over their embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

I hereby order that suitable honors be rendered by units of the Armed Forces under orders of the Secretary of Defense.

I do further appoint December 5, 2018, as a National Day of Mourning throughout the United States. I call on the American people to assemble on that day in their respective places of worship, there to pay homage to the memory of President George H.W. Bush. I invite the people of the world who share our grief to join us in this solemn observance.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand eighteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-third.

DONALD J. TRUMP

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read several books written by ex-Secret Service Agents. Not one of them had a bad word about President Bush or his family. The same could not be said of their opinions of the Clintons and the Carters before them.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post