SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP George H.W. Bush
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP George H.W. Bush Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
We are diminished. He led a life of public service and did so in many roles over time, an example to all. Serving as DCI during the Cold War is not always what people remember him for, but it is one part of his legacy.

Posts: 3074 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread has taught me a lesson, which is how easy it is for us, myself included, to denigrate and disparage someone we have no personal connection with. A relative of mine was nominated to a federal judgeship by President Bush. As such, she had several contacts with him and was tremendously impressed by the man.
May he RIP.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr President
I proudly served under him and would do so again

I briefl served with a Marine that was a crew chief on Marine One during the last half of President GHWB. He told me that the President would go visit them, he called him a true gentleman. Unlike the next pres couple who treated them like servants

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
He was a victim of economics cycles.

His anti-2A stance did not help his cause. To his credit, he was that way since before I was born, and I never heard him back down from it even after he lost in 1992. He was definitely a man of principle. Compare that to Slick Willy's lamentation that the '94 AWB cost the Dems politically.

quote:
Ross Perot took over 20% of mostly Republican votes and Bush still didn’t lose by much.

The electoral split was 370 - 168. That's over 2:1.

41 gave a lot to this country and appeared to be a family man. I wish them peace.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, Mr. President. I shall miss your essential decency, and your obvious love for this country.

I worked and trained with an officer who who had served President Bush when he was in residence at Kennebunkport. He was commander of the EOD team from Devens, that supported the Secret Service there. One cold night they were hanging out in the guard shack, which is at the road end of the driveway from the house and the door opened. It was the President and Mrs. Bush with a tray of sandwiches and a couple of thermoses of hot coffee for the crew. They came in, sat down and talked with the EOD guys for about half an hour before going back to the house.

He was absolutely an old-school, establishment Republican, and that is unfashionable now, but he was also a patriot, hot warrior, cold warrior, leader, and fundamentally good man.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
RIP for a good and gracious man.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Rest in Peace, Mr. President

quote:
Fair winds and following seas, Sir. We have the watch.
- U.S. Navy post this morning

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
quote:
He was a victim of economics cycles.

His anti-2A stance did not help his cause. To his credit, he was that way since before I was born, and I never heard him back down from it even after he lost in 1992. He was definitely a man of principle. Compare that to Slick Willy's lamentation that the '94 AWB cost the Dems politically.

quote:
Ross Perot took over 20% of mostly Republican votes and Bush still didn’t lose by much.

The electoral split was 370 - 168. That's over 2:1.

41 gave a lot to this country and appeared to be a family man. I wish them peace.

Most national elections have each party score around 50% of the vote and the few points plus or minus determine the winnner. So take 20% from your 50% and that’s 30%. The electoral college system of winner takes all makes the difference look larger.
Bill Clinton won well under 50% in his victory but still won the state electors due to the split on the other side. That should be a lesson to those that always want the (their) perfect candidate.

http://archive.fairvote.org/plurality/perot.htm

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
He is a year younger than my dad. He was a WWII pilot like my dad. Unlike my dad, he grew up in privilege and didn't have to serve, but he did serve, and he did it on the front lines of battle.

He was a gentleman who truly never understood the wild pack of hyenas in the Senate and House that would suck him into bad policy and then stab him in the back with it. I didn't agree with everything he did, but I believe he's a good man and I have great respect for he and his family. RIP, Mr. President. God bless you.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was a victim of economics cycles. After the great years of Reagan the economy was adjusting.

He is largely at fault regarding the down cycle. His signed a huge tax increase in 1990 that took what was probably a natural down cycle and blew it up into a recession. The tax increase came at the coaxing of George Mitchell and Jim Wright, two snakes in the grass. Then they beat him over the head with the tax increase in the 1992 campaign. And a lot of conservatives abandoned him.

He never truly understood economics. He labeled Reagan's economic platform as voodoo economics in the 1980 primaries. Even as the economy blossomed, he never fully caught on. He was a good man, but he handed the Presidency to Clinton on a silver platter.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
He was a lucky guy that almost wasn’t.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...japanese-pow-guards/

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^^
He was a lucky guy that almost wasn’t.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...japanese-pow-guards/

That's a great article and I had forgotten about the brutal Japanese part. Thanks for sharing it.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DarthMegaHD:
New world order secret society ruling class scum. He joins John McCain in hell where all the lying RINOs and their Demonrat buddies belong. Not sorry
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I said cool it.

Posts: 107461 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
The last warrior-President and a man to be respected, whatever you thought of his policies. We won't see another one.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
RIP Sir. Flags at half staff and a Salute

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
As an USAF SP in the 1980s, I had the honor and privilege of guarding both AF1 and AF2 when they were on the ramp. Never met him nor Reagan but only saw him from afar. RIP.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We elect presidents to do a job, not confirm our biases. 41 did his job. He made decisions based on what he believed was best for our Country and not what would get him elected. How a leader should act.

RIP 41, your clarity of leadership will be missed.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your service to our country and RIP, Mr. President.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I had the privilege of meeting him during his Presidential run when he made a stop in town. He and Barbara were very gracious to a fault. His resume of public service was unparalleled by any President in my lifetime.

Did I agree with all of his policies and decisions? No, of course not, but I had a lot of respect for the man for being a true and loyal American.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Like all of him, none of him or anything in between, one still must admit he was a gentleman.

May he enjoy the peace he fought for and earned for himself, and all of us.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post