SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Books for rebuilding society: What books go in the box?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books for rebuilding society: What books go in the box? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bruce Cattons Army of the Potomac trilogy.
3 separate books covering the Civil War. Something a new society would want to avoid.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
These two massive books my dad gave me when I was a young teen.

The Chronicle of the World
And
The Chronicle of America

These books are about 7 inches thick and consist of early historical accounts and news paper articles of just about everything starting from the beginning until the early 90s.

Amazing books that I spent late nights in my room reading and learning about history,

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Medical texts, basic physics, algebra and geometry, books on edible plants and animal husbandry.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba (founder of Aikido)

quote:
"Economy is the basis of society. When the economy is stable, society develops. The ideal economy combines the spiritual and material, and the best commodities to trade in are sincerity and love."

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The service manuals for the Ford F150 and the Honda Civic.

Physicians desk reference.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would be thinking more in terms of books on how to grow stuff and make stuff, especially in primitive conditions. Politics and even economics beyond the barter level will be way out in the future. Planting, growing and harvesting enough food to stay alive will be the survivors main concern

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
The Oxford English dictionary.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Bible (NIV)

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Anarchist Cookbook & The Poor Man's James Bond

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
There are bound to be kids present, so how about the collected works of Dr. Seuss and Mark Twain?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Forget the books. Bring extra glasses...

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Machinery's Handbook

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least 1 The Far Side cartoon book, with things probably pretty grim and rough going, there needs to be some laughter!

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Swiss Family Robinson

Robinson Cruso

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
At a minimum, some medical school and related academic/scientific texts:

Anatomy and Physiology.
Internal Medicine.
Nutrition
Viruses
Etc.
Algebra
Geometry
Trigonometry
Physics
Astronomy
Biology
Inorganic and Organic Chemistry

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Brave New World
The Handmaid's Tale
Animal Farm
Things Fall Apart
Heart of Darkness
Catch-22
All of Kafka's works
All of Douglas Adam's works
All of Asimov's works
All of Tolkien's works

Idiocracy
Office Space

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
The Quran and Dianetics ought to be in there too.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
It's a little spendy, but I would suggest McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology Volumes 1-20 11th Edition (2012). I suspect it will be the last hard copy ever published. A good overview of everything.

Specific subject areas that deserve a deep dive are books on:
Agriculture (large and small scale), animal husbandry, structural & civil engineering, mathematics, a book of log tables, water treatment, food preservation, medicine, all the construction trades (carpentry, electrical, plumbing (including well, sewer, septic), small unit tactics, engine maintenance & repair, etc.

The Book "It's not a book. It's a weapon."

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post