SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Katie Arrington, who ousted Rep. Mark Sanford in primary, seriously injured in car crash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Katie Arrington, who ousted Rep. Mark Sanford in primary, seriously injured in car crash Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Katie Arrington, who ousted incumbent South Carolina Rep. Mark Sanford in a Republican congressional primary this month, was seriously injured in a car accident on Friday -- in a wreck that left one person dead.

In a statement posted to Facebook, her campaign said that she underwent surgery after she was injured when a driver traveling in the wrong direction hit her vehicle. A friend who was also in the car was seriously injured.

The Post and Courier reported that the driver in the other vehicle died at the scene.
Her office said that she suffered a fracture in her back, several broken ribs and other injuries that required surgery including the removal of part of her small intestine and a portion of her colon.

“Additionally, the main artery in her legs has a partial collapse and will require a stent,” the statement said. “Additional surgeries will be required including one likely today; and it is likely that Katie will remain hospitalized for the next two weeks.”

“As her family asked last night, Katie asks for your continued prayers for the deceased and the deceased's family, as well as prayers for a quick recovery for Katie and her friend.”

Arrington's Democratic rival, Joe Cunningham, said that he was suspending his campaign until futher notice. President Trump tweeted that he was sending his thoughts and prayers to all those involved in the accident and their families.

Arrington’s shock primary win over Sanford made national headlines as a rebuke of Sanford’s “Never Trump”-style rhetoric and his career bedeviled by scandal.

Arrington, a state representative and a relative political newcomer, secured Trump’s support hours before the primary ballot. She had been vocal in her backing of Trump and had used Sanford’s criticism of the president as a cornerstone of her campaign.

"I fully endorse Katie Arrington for Congress in SC, a state I love," tweeted Trump ahead of the primary. "She is tough on crime and will continue our fight to lower taxes. VOTE Katie!"

“It was amazing. It definitely kept us from a run-off,” Arrington said on “Fox & Friends” about the president’s intervention.

Trump would reportedly go on to mock Sanford at a meeting with House Republicans: "I want to congratulate Mark on a great race.”

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Sounds like quite the accident. Best wishes for her recovery.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Dang. That sounds horrible. I hope she is able to recover.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
In a classy move (at least appears as such), her opponent is suspending campaign activities.

GOP Candidate seriously injured in car accident.
quote:
GOP candidate Katie Arrington, who defeated incumbent Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) in her district’s primary last week, was seriously injured in a two-car accident on Friday night.

Arrington’s campaign consultant Michael Mule told The Post and Courier this morning that the candidate is out of surgery and recovering. She will undergo another surgery today and her hospital stay is expected to last two weeks, according to the paper.

Arrington was reportedly on her way to Hilton Head, S.C., where she was scheduled to receive an award from a state medical organization, when her vehicle was struck by another car driving in the wrong lane. The driver in the other car was killed, according to the report.

Arrington reportedly sustained injuries to her back, broke several ribs and will have to undergo major surgery that includes the removal of a portion of her small intestine.
Arrington's Democratic opponent in the general election, Joe Cunningham, said his campaign is suspending all activities until further notice in light of the accident.

"Just hearing about the terrible accident that occurred overnight involving Katie Arrington," he tweeted early Saturday morning. "Amanda and I are lifting her and her family up in prayer right now. Please join us."

We are suspending all campaign activities until further notice. https://t.co/yigZupPoLz

— Joe Cunningham (@JoeCunninghamSC) June 23, 2018
“As we all know, Katie Arrington is an extremely strong woman and has tremendous faith and an incredibly supportive family,” her campaign tweeted. “And it is from her strong faith, the support of her family, the prayers and support of our community, and the incredible doctors and staff at the hospital that she is certain she will be back to work for our state soon.”

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, classy move, and win-win. He'll save time, $ and look good doing it.

I hope she recovers well, and soon, and wins.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post