SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone Question Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Last week Wife and I traded in our iPhone 5's to a X and 8plus. The difference in performance was beyond belief. New phones are great. I have even seen my wife kissing her new phone she loves it so much.
<snip>

I, too, replaced my ancient iPhone 5 with an iPhone X a couple of weeks ago. I love the X! Its screen is so easy on the eyes. And very happy with gestures in lieu of the home button.
I'm with you guys on this, but you've got to realize, I'm dealing with a 65 year old woman who is not tech savvy in the least, and who has learned just enough to be dangerous with the iPhone5. Upgrading to anything new terrifies her, so she's bucking it.

Through researching online, I found T-Mobile uses LTE channels 2 & 4. Link

LTE Frequencies:

1700 MHz & 2100 MHz AWS band 4

1900 MHz PCS band 2 (in refarmed areas)

Still haven't been able to catch up with her yet to get the model number off her phone.

If you have the imei# you could probably google it. Just a guess tough.

Just google IMEI.info and it should bring up the page
hope this helps

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And we have success! Well, not really given the answer, but we do at least have an answer.

The iPhone5 in question is a....A1429 (which can broadcast on bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25) per Apple's spec's. This phone did indeed start out on a Straight Talk cellular program.

T-Mobile's LTE communciations are on....bands 2, 4, per T-Mobile's support website.

Sooooooooooo, her iPhone5 is indeed incompatible with T-Mobile's LTE service, hence the locked into 'Edge' scenario. Not the answer she's going to want to hear, but at least she now knows what the deal is.

Thanks everyone for your input/help. It made researching this issue much easier.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
And we have success! Well, not really given the answer, but we do at least have an answer.

The iPhone5 in question is a....A1429 (which can broadcast on bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25) per Apple's spec's. This phone did indeed start out on a Straight Talk cellular program.

T-Mobile's LTE communciations are on....bands 2, 4, per T-Mobile's support website.

Sooooooooooo, her iPhone5 is indeed incompatible with T-Mobile's LTE service, hence the locked into 'Edge' scenario. Not the answer she's going to want to hear, but at least she now knows what the deal is.

Thanks everyone for your input/help. It made researching this issue much easier.

Glad we that mystery solved. now to convince her to upgrade...

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned this the hard way myself this weekend. Gave my granddaughter my AT&T iPhone 5 to replace her flip phone. Apparently, the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone not to have the capability to work on Verizon and AT&T. I’m told iPhone 6 and beyond can. Needless to say she was (is) disappointed. I will be getting her a used iPhone that will work on Verizon.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I switched from my iPhone to the nicer flip phone on Verizon - aside from being forced to use the Verizon messaging app, which scans all the texts - much happier.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone not to have the capability to work on Verizon

my iPhone 5 works on Verizon just fine.
After sitting unused in a drawer for about 3 years, #2 son gave it to me totally brand new "NOS" never activated.

It's been a big boost up out of my Luddite flipper phone life style.

Yes, I do like the things it does.
No, I haven't signed in to much of what's available.

It's gotten some minor battle scars along the way. And despite new battery the need to recharge daily remains.

It was absolutely wonderful to keep up with the DJT thread here using it out & about.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Have her upgrade to an iPhone SE. It's a 6s inside a 5s case. Very similar to her current phone. And she can get one for $99 to $149 or so. Also look at Boost mobile. They have great service all over Orlando, and likely cheaper than t mobile as well. I have a grandfathered plan, its unlimited everything plus 5 gigs of LTE data for exactly $30/month, taxes included. Hard to beat that.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
the iPhone 5 was the last iPhone not to have the capability to work on Verizon
my iPhone 5 works on Verizon just fine.
The iPhone 5 was specific to the carrier -- you evidently have a Verizon model.

My iPhone 6 is not carrier specific. It will work just fine with any of the Big Four.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post