SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone Question Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I'm an Android user who is in need of a bit of help here. I'm trying to assist an elderly neighbor with a problem she's having with her iPhone 5. She's currently on one of T-Mobile's newest plans, but her phone is stuck on 'Edge' and won't connect at LTE speeds. From everything I've read about the iPhone 5 on Apple's website, it 'is' LTE capable. She's talked at length with the children at the local T-Mobile store, and on the phone to T-Mobile support, but nothing they've suggested has resolved the issue. Seems a shame to be on an LTE plan and only getting dog slow Edge speed.

Anybody know what we might try to resolve the issue? I'm thinking maybe a hard/factory reset to clear everything out? Good idea, bad idea?

iPhones are not my thing, and I'm beginning to get befuddled trying to untangle this issue. Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Have you tried going into "systems" then "cellular service" and toggling between the various LTE (or not) options? I know I have to toggle off of LTE in our locale (rural) because there isn't great coverage and 3G is still more reliable for calls.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Is this a phone she's had or new to her? Was she provided this phone from a relative who used it on Verizon by chance?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2666 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This might help:

Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30635 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
Is this a phone she's had or new to her? Was she provided this phone from a relative who used it on Verizon by chance?
She's had this phone since it was new, and is unwilling to upgrade from it. I do not think it was ever on Verizon, but I can certainly check. Doesn't Straight Talk cellular ride the Verizon network? Would that pose an issue? I don't know why but something in the back of my mind seems to remind me she had Straight Talk on that phone at one point.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
She's had this phone since it was new, and is unwilling to upgrade from it. I do not think it was ever on Verizon, but I can certainly check. Doesn't Straight Talk cellular ride the Verizon network? Would that pose an issue? I don't know why but something in the back of my mind seems to remind me she had Straight Talk on that phone at one point.

Is it possible to get the model # of the iphone? It's located on the back in small print..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2666 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Is it possible to get the model # of the iphone? It's located on the back in small print..
Not now, but I'll try and update the thread with that info when I get the chance over the weekend.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't Straight Talk cellular ride the Verizon network?
Straight Talk is an MVNO using several networks. I know for sure, that they use both AT&T and Verizon, not sure about Sprint and T-Mobile. They (Straight Talk) are part of the TracFone family of companies.

Total Wireless is another TracFone-owned MVNO, that uses the Verizon network only.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30635 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Genesis Bar at the Apple Store?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The iPhone 5 is an older model. Does the phone have trouble with GPS, Bluetooth, or WiFi? My wife’s phone had these issues and replacing the Wifi Antenna Signal Flex Cable at a random iFixit store solved the problem. Total cost was in the $45 range I believe, part was cheap online but I wouldn’t know how to fix it myself.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Straight Talk is an MVNO

Had to look up that term.
From Wikipedia: "A mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), virtual network operator (VNO), or mobile other licensed operator (MOLO), is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which it provides services to its customers. An MVNO enters into a business agreement with a mobile network operator to obtain bulk access to network services at wholesale rates, then sets retail prices independently."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The iPhone 5 has different LTE channels depending on the carrier it was designed for. The AT&T model has the LTE channel(s) for AT&T, and the Verizon model had the LTE channels for Verizon. They cannot work on the other carriers LTE network. I'm not sure which channels T-Mobile uses.

iPhone 5 Model LTE Band Carrier
GSM model A1428 4, 17 AT&T (US), Bell, Rogers, Telus (Canada)
CDMA model A1429 1, 3, 5, 13, 25 Verizon (US), Sprint (US), KDDI (Japan)
GSM model A1429 1, 3, 5 Various International Carriers

All of the iPhone 5 models should be able to use 3G networks regardless of carrier.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Straight Talk is an MVNO
Had to look up that term.

From Wikipedia: "A mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), virtual network operator (VNO), or mobile other licensed operator (MOLO), is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which it provides services to its customers. An MVNO enters into a business agreement with a mobile network operator to obtain bulk access to network services at wholesale rates, then sets retail prices independently."
A reseller. Basically they buy bulk airtime from one or more of the Big Four -- AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon -- and re-sell the airtime to end users.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
This might help:

I agree with the above and he is also right about Straight Talk being on either ATT or Verizon's services depending on which ever one the owner chooses.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Like others have suggested, it could be that the phone does not have the capability of the LTE bands T-Mobile uses. You might need to cross reference these specs with the actual phone model and the LTE bands T-mob use:

iPhone 5 Specs

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Hesitant to write this, but...

Has she shut it down and restarted yet?

Sorry to be Captain Obvious

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Last week Wife and I traded in our iPhone 5's to a X and 8plus. The difference in performance was beyond belief. New phones are great. I have even seen my wife kissing her new phone she loves it so much.

The moral here is that the iPhone 5's are like 5 years old. Technology has certainly changed leaps and bounds in 5 years and we are now enjoying phones that work and have the speed of a silver bullet.

My money is on your friend having an old outdated phone which frustrates her. If she upgraded she would be able to do more and of course be happy with something that works.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
quote:
This might help:

I agree with the above and he is also right about Straight Talk being on either ATT or Verizon's services depending on which ever one the owner chooses.

This is what I meant in my earlier post but I mistakenly "called settings" "systems" (didn't have my phone available and just winged it rather hurriedly). Looking at my phone, now (iphone SE), it goes:

settings - cellular - cellular data options - then you can toggle between LTE either off or on for voice and data or data only.

I imagine bigdeal has explored this but figured it couldn't hurt to mention it.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Last week Wife and I traded in our iPhone 5's to a X and 8plus. The difference in performance was beyond belief. New phones are great. I have even seen my wife kissing her new phone she loves it so much.
<snip>

I, too, replaced my ancient iPhone 5 with an iPhone X a couple of weeks ago. I love the X! Its screen is so easy on the eyes. And very happy with gestures in lieu of the home button.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8922 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
<snip>

I, too, replaced my ancient iPhone 5 with an iPhone X a couple of weeks ago. I love the X! Its screen is so easy on the eyes. And very happy with gestures in lieu of the home button.
I'm with you guys on this, but you've got to realize, I'm dealing with a 65 year old woman who is not tech savvy in the least, and who has learned just enough to be dangerous with the iPhone5. Upgrading to anything new terrifies her, so she's bucking it.

Through researching online, I found T-Mobile uses LTE channels 2 & 4. Link

LTE Frequencies:

1700 MHz & 2100 MHz AWS band 4

1900 MHz PCS band 2 (in refarmed areas)

Still haven't been able to catch up with her yet to get the model number off her phone.