SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Racial Disparities in School Discipline
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racial Disparities in School Discipline Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Walter Williams

President Barack Obama's first education secretary, Arne Duncan, gave a speech on the 45th anniversary of "Bloody Sunday" at the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, where, in 1965, state troopers beat and tear-gassed hundreds of peaceful civil rights marchers who were demanding voting rights. Later that year, as a result of widespread support across the nation, the U.S. Congress passed the Voting Rights Act. Secretary Duncan titled his speech "Crossing the Next Bridge." Duncan told the crowd that black students "are more than three times as likely to be expelled as their white peers," adding that Martin Luther King would be "dismayed."

Gail Heriot, a law professor at the University of San Diego and a member of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, and her special assistant and counselor, Alison Somin, have written an important article in the Texas Review of Law & Politics, titled "The Department of Education's Obama-Era Initiative on Racial Disparities in School Discipline" (Spring 2018). The article is about the departments of Education and Justice's "disparate impact" vision, wherein they see racial discrimination as the factor that explains why black male students face suspension and expulsion more often than other students.

Faced with threats from the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights, schools have instituted new disciplinary policies. For example, after the public school district in Oklahoma City was investigated by the OCR, there was a 42.5 percent decrease in the number of suspensions. According to an article in The Oklahoman, one teacher said, "Students are yelling, cursing, hitting and screaming at teachers and nothing is being done but teachers are being told to teach and ignore the behaviors." According to Chalkbeat, new high school teachers left one school because they didn't feel safe. There have been cases in which students have assaulted teachers and returned to school the next day.

Many of the complaints about black student behavior are coming from black teachers. I doubt whether they could be accused of racial discrimination against black students. The first vice president of the St. Paul, Minnesota, chapter of the NAACP said it's "very disturbing" that the school district would retaliate against a black teacher "for simply voicing the concern" that when black students are not held accountable for misbehaving, they are set up for failure in life.

An article in Education Week earlier this year, titled "When Students Assault Teachers, Effects Can Be Lasting," discusses the widespread assaults of teachers across the country: "In the 2015-16 school year, 5.8 percent of the nation's 3.8 million teachers were physically attacked by a student. Almost 10 percent were threatened with injury, according to federal education data."

Measures that propose harsh punishment for students who assault teachers have not been successful. In North Carolina, a bill was introduced that proposed that students 16 or older could be charged with a felony if they assaulted a teacher. It was opposed by children's advocacy and disability rights groups. In Minnesota, a 2016 bill would have required school boards to automatically expel a student who threatened or inflicted bodily harm on a teacher for up to a year. It, too, was opposed, even in light of the fact that teachers have suffered serious bodily harm, such as the case in which a high school student slammed a teacher into a concrete wall and then squeezed his throat. That teacher ended up with a traumatic brain injury.

There are plenty of visuals of assaults on teachers. Here's a tiny sample: Florida's Seminole Middle School, Pennsylvania's Cheltenham High School, Illinois' Rich Central High School. Byongook Moon, a professor in the criminal justice department at the University of Texas at San Antonio, says that according to his study of 1,600 teachers, about 44 percent of teachers who had been victims of physical assault said that being attacked had a negative impact on their job performance. Nearly 30 percent said they could no longer trust the student who had attacked them, and 27 percent said they thought of quitting their teaching career afterward.

My question is: Is there any reason whatsoever for adults to tolerate this kind of behavior from our young people?

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Dr. King; When deciding discipline, don't look to skin color, look at the act.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A better question: For how many decades, or even centuries, will we be forced to look at "racial disparities" in statistics before we are allowed to recognize the obviously rational conclusion that "Maybe there are some real differences" ?

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
There's an even greater disparity between males and females in school discipline but nobody seems to notice that.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Cause and effect.

For years I have doctoral candidates wanting to do research in the disparity that the 'system' punishes too many black students and whites get a free ride. It is a myth that just keeps giving and giving.

I make them demonstrate a ratio to account for confounding variables like SES. will a low SES learner in a predominantly white school be just as apt to misbehave as his counterpart in a similar mostly black school. In other words, control for both race and SES.

It is always dead even. There is no disparity, just myth. poor white kids act up just like poor black kids. mostly black schools have black kids that act up. mostly white schools in Appalachia have white kids that act up.

Who knew.

Well we create programs to Not punish certain kids because of the perceived racism behind discipline and you get what we have.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Create the victim mentality young and make sure they know that they are not responsible for their actions and choices. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Isn’t assault a crime? I know battery is a crime. Why don’t we enforce the many laws we already have, regardless of genetically determined physical characteristics?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
5 year old black kid punched my kids teacher the other day. At least they moved him to the "bad" class to get more one on one attention from a better suited disciplinarian/teacher.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Isn’t assault a crime? I know battery is a crime. Why don’t we enforce the many laws we already have, regardless of genetically determined physical characteristics?

The teacher is the victim. IF they called the cops, demanded a police report and to press charges, most jurisdictions would. Although some districts have pressured the school resource officers to "defer" prosecution, because prosecuting black kids is racist.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
In the school I worked in today, I have zero disparities in my classroom. If a student acts up or wants to sleep, I have a guard put them back in their cell.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
In the school I worked in today, I have zero disparities in my classroom. If a student acts up or wants to sleep, I have a guard put them back in their cell.
Some high schools need to be organized that way....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some schools are going the other way.
Allowing minorities to get away with more.

When I was a freshman in a Parochial school, in the mid 60s, a 7ft tall black senior put a knife to my throat...he told me to get on my knees as he started to unzip his pants. I was in the restroom and had just finished washing and was leaving when he entered and did that.

Well, I told him to kill me, I was not kneeling for anything.
He told me if he caught me in any restroom again or if I told he would kill me.

Of course I told and nothing was done. He had gotten kicked out of the public school and was taken in our school free. Of course he was on our basketball team.
I did not go to that school after that year.

Now, my daughter in law is teaching 3rd grade and had a kid in her class that used to hit her regularly. They would not throw him out either.
They said he was a crack baby and that was the reason??

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
So give him enough crack that he can overdose and die.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, the stories I could tell...

23rd year as a teacher in a school that’s 90+% minority and nearly 1/3 of the kids are labeled as special ed. It’s all rolling downhill, quickly.

Must hang on..6..more..years...

Posts: 246 | Location: Damn it's hot! | Registered: September 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

The teacher is the victim. IF they called the cops, demanded a police report and to press charges, most jurisdictions would. Although some districts have pressured the school resource officers to "defer" prosecution, because prosecuting black kids is racist.

I'm sure the teacher's union has a big hand in stifling any litigation attempt by the teacher against the student/school district.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChasinTails:
Oh, the stories I could tell...

23rd year as a teacher in a school that’s 90+% minority and nearly 1/3 of the kids are labeled as special ed. It’s all rolling downhill, quickly.

Must hang on..6..more..years...

Hang in there! You CAN make it 6 more years. I just retired after teaching science for 30 years all at the same High School last May.

My secret to hanging on that long, was a change in perspective that caused me to not sweat the "minor infractions". That change in perspective was brought on by two nearly life ending events.

In July 2008 I had a heart attack. A 98% blockage in the Left Anterior Descending Coronary Artery, the "Widow Maker". In February 2015 I had a rollover accident on I-65 after hydroplaning in the rain and flipping over the guardrail and down in a ravine. Fractured vertebrae in my cervical and thoracic spine and two TBIs was the result. Those two incidents had me reassess what battles I really wanted to fight in the classroom. I turned in much fewer discipline referrals over the last few years. If there were serious issues, I just called in a principal/assistant principal to handle it sooner than I did in my earlier years.

It's only been 5 months since I've retired, but I am so glad to be out of that environment! I'm collecting my teacher's pension (while it lasts!) and working at a LGS as Range Counter Clerk/Range Safety Officer and loving every minute of it. And I'm in a much safer workplace that allows me to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights!

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is: Is there any reason whatsoever for adults to tolerate this kind of behavior from our young people?

My answer is NO.

Tolerating this type of behavior may change the statistics and keep the OCR off your back, but it sets these kids up for failure in the civilized world. They don't know and respect boundaries. They don't learn the valuable "law of consequences" on a small scale so they are left to discover it on a large scale when they bump into LE.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy

Tell em "Crack and Strychnine is the latest way to get high." Razz

Posts: 2541 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call B.S. on racial disparity in discipline with blacks. If anything, it's the other way around.

I had four siblings, all the same baby momma, three were black, two with same baby daddy, and one being white.

One day the all get into a knock down dragout fight, blood, hair, full on between the four.

The only kid that got suspended from school, the one that did the least was the white kid, he was the only one that stopped when I yelled to stop.

The other siblings, nothing.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

flashguy

Tell em "Crack and Strychnine is the latest way to get high." Razz

What in the hell is wrong with you guys...

Crom, too.

Disgusting, and delusional, and worse, all of these comments.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post