SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Life Alert or similar product suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life Alert or similar product suggestions Login/Join 
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted
Looking into purchasing a Life alert or other similar device for a family member. Anyone have any experience with these products and/or feedback on them?

Not sure I want the Life Alert system since it has the monthly fees. There are comparable emergency response alert systems on Walmart's website with no monthly fees but I'm not sure how reliable or comparable they are.

Do these products only work in the house which it is set up?

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I was looking into this recently and this is the best information I could find.

Life Alert isn't even in the top ten.

http://www.toptenreviews.com/h...dical-alert-systems/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the local senior aging office. My mom as able to get one for free, and I returned it after her passing.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deplorable_Dixie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comparison website, that was very helpful.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that they didn't even have a 10th recommendation. Thanks for the info and for linking this from the other thread, olfuzzy.

quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I was looking into this recently and this is the best information I could find.

Life Alert isn't even in the top ten.

http://www.toptenreviews.com/h...dical-alert-systems/

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I purchased the Mobile Help for my mom and unfortunately she has already used it. Had a fall, hit her head and needed an ambulance.

She had the necklace on, which is basically a panic button. Pressed that, then MoHelp called her, she could not get to the phone and could not communicate through the voice remote because it was at the other end of the house. MoHelp then called the EMT, then began calling a list of four people that you choose. Got my sister first and it was then her responsibility to call whoever she felt was needed.

Long story short, Mom is fine other than stitches and staples in her head.

Mobile Help seemed to have the right mix of service and cost to me. No cost for the equipment, which is a pendant for around the neck, a wristwatch, a remote that let's you actually talk to Mobile Help, plus a door knob lock box for a house key.

Pay quarterly for the service and can cancel anytime, just have to return the equipment for the cancellation to occur. No refund on the quarterly payments though, which is understandable to me.

Be sure to input into your address book the phone number they will call from and see to it that other friends and family do the same. Wouldn't want to think they were a junk call coming in.

By carrying the remote around in your pocket, this systems works anywhere you go as long as there is cell service. So, it is not restricted to in-home use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BigWhup,

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post