SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A tree question, is it dead?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A tree question, is it dead? Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
I've got an appx 15' Evergreen tree in my front lawn that all of a sudden has lost just about all of the needles in the top 1/3 of the tree, with some brown needles through the rest of the tree.

I've done some research but everything just mentions browning of needles, not the complete loss of them.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Check the affected needle with magnification and see if there are any black spheres. There are a couple of diseases that affect certain spruce trees up your way.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
There are a few other trees the same as this one that are starting to exhibit the same thing. I'm wondering if I should cut them down and burn them before it spreads to the acre of evergreens surrounding the property.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local tree nursery should have the answer. If not the County Agricultural Agent or the Horticulture Department of your local university.

You can always look at images online, but a call to these folks is a first step. Let us know.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
there's some kinda thing that killed a lot of fir trees in western NC a few years ago...

contact your local ag agent...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I think that is pine needle disease, if I remember right. Once a pine tree gets it will (sounds as though that has already occurred) infect pine trees for miles around, the only thing that can be done is to cut down the tree, there is no cure. We've had that same problem around here.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Do you have a close-up picture? It could be bagworm damage.
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic...rms-trees-and-shrubs

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Check here --> UMass Extension - Common Diseases of Woody Ornamentals in Massachusetts

And here --> https://ag.umass.edu/landscape...osphaera-needle-cast

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
That's a spruce by the looks of it. Could be a fir but probably not. In my professional opinion, that tree is not long for the world. It could be a neadle cast disease but it could also be easily effected if normal groundwater drainage has been effected in any way. Is there a new driveway or some new drainage ditch or something like that?

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
A local tree nursery should have the answer. If not the County Agricultural Agent or the Horticulture Department of your local university.

You can always look at images online, but a call to these folks is a first step. Let us know.

This. Contact your local University cooperative extension agent this is free but not necessarily quick. An arborist is your next bet.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my professional opinion, that tree is not long for the world.

I'm not a professional arborist... but I agree.
Host a Sigforum get together.... chainsaws, guns, and beer! Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NHForester:
That's a spruce by the looks of it. Could be a fir but probably not. In my professional opinion, that tree is not long for the world. It could be a neadle cast disease but it could also be easily effected if normal groundwater drainage has been effected in any way. Is there a new driveway or some new drainage ditch or something like that?

New driveway as of a year ago, although it sits about 2' above the base of the tree and is about 4' away from it. The new driveway is also better engineered than the old one.

It just downpoured for awhile here so I wasn't able to get out and inspect it any closer. I'll check it tomorrow though.

posted Hide Post
damn it Jim , I am a delivery driver, not an arborist!

you can't expect me to do miracles

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
A tree question, is it dead?

"The core of this tree is still alive"

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple more photos. I'm thinking it was caused by the large amount of gypsy moths that we have had this year.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Not an arborist, but it looks like new buds on those bare branches?

Sounds like you damaged the root system when installing the new driveway, the tree maybe had to regroup and die back so the remaining root system could maintain it. Looks like it's bouncing back, though (I hope).

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell from the earlier photos, but that sure looks like some type of fir tree to me due to both the appearance of the needles and the buds.

I would "guess agree" with the previous post that the tree was somehow damaged and is trying to regenerate.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
A tree needs water in 360 degrees. If the driveway is over the root zone, that side of the tree could get die back due to the lack of water.

You could trim out some of the branches so the root zone does not have to support so many branches.

We need a picture showing the driveway in relation to the tree.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post