SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sedation dentistry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sedation dentistry Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
So I'm shall we say procedure intolerant. I don't like medical procedures that are even slightly invasive and I have a particular phobia when it comes to dentistry. Needles being stuck in my mouth are things of which nightmares are created as far as I'm concerned.

I still have most my teeth and because I have this dentistry anxiety I did everything I could to take care of them over the years on my own. But I'm going to have to have some work done. Things have begun to shift a bit leaving small gaps and I have one starting to work loose in the front. Yes vanity is what will if anything drive me to the dentist.

I have been doing some research on the new sedation techniques for people like myself but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually been through it. Which sedation technique did you receive and was it an anxiety and pain free experience?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I had some Nitrous oxide once at the Dentist's office. Not because I had a phobia or anything but because the Dentist was a friend and he wanted me to try it and tell him what I thought.

When he was doing a filling, I didn't care what he did or how he did it. I was awake but uncaring about anything. It was totally painless.

The downside for me was having to stay a couple of hours so I could come down from the "high" and be able to drive.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the local dental places web site I looked at offered a 5 minute test run of the nitrous oxide to see it it made me comfortable. I'll give it a go.

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'd like to suggest you have this conversation with the person performing the procedure.

You'll both be more comfortable if you can communicate your concerns prior to any procedure.

Nitrous is only one tool.

Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take a firing squad, over a dentist.

I've had dentists refuse to work on me, unless sedated.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Depends on the Dentist, when I was about 5 or 6 my mother decided, in an attempt to save money probably due to my father, took my brother then 4 and I to the UK Dental School at the University of KY for exams and cleaning.

Free of course, no charge, let us damage your kids minds regarding dentists for life!

Fuckers strapped us in a chair, put in wire mouth opening devices and we sat there for what seemed like hours as students paraded by for a look at a real kids mouth and no cleaning or services.
I remember telling them when they took the contraption out of my mouth they were not touching me, got up and walked out over the protests. Walked downstairs amid protests of "you can't do that" well I damn sure did LOL.

Mom took us out after she found out and we never went back, dads great Ideas were back seat now lol when it came to care. He probably saved $15 back in 1966.

I"ve found a good dentist here, UK Grad, UL same for spouse and they have all the high tech equipment, faster cleaning, better techs. Find one like this and after a cleaning and visit maybe you'll get comfortable.

Can't go with being sedated, don't want the nurses lifting up me kilt while I'm out and posting images on the web....

Posts: 23235 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of getting implants and part of the process was extracting my natural teeth. Did uppers first under full sedation. The actual process was painless, standard dental chair, IV in left arm, went to sleep for about three hours and woke to a mouth full of stitches and metal implants. Didn't feel or remember a thing about the surgery. I doubt I could have stood it w/out sedation.

A month later same procedure on the lowers. Sutures were removed after 10 days and pain was pretty much over a week after that. I'm wearing temporary dentures until April and then the implants will be sufficiently bonded to the jawbone to install my new chompers.

The sedation was an extra $400 per session and it was money well spent imho.

Posts: 4679 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Can't go with being sedated, don't want the nurses lifting up me kilt while I'm out and posting images on the web....
You might get the blue silk ribbon! Big Grin

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Getting numbed for dental work is nothing like it was years ago. It's pretty quick, easy and painless gets the stuff to injected.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16486 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This may seem dated, but I got wisdom teeth extracted circa 1977. They gave me a shot of something in my arm and I was out like a light and never felt a thing. I woke up just feeling tired, somewhat like a mild hangover.

Posts: 27830 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A needle full of novocaine, stick it in my gum, and we're good to go.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I had my LASIK, they gave me a Valium in the waiting room. I know it's not dentistry, but I didn't give a shit that they cut my cornea with a laser, peeled it back, and used a laser to reshape the cornea.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
We have a dentist on the board. He will hopefully be along soon to help.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5281 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
This may seem dated, but I got wisdom teeth extracted circa 1977. They gave me a shot of something in my arm and I was out like a light and never felt a thing. I woke up just feeling tired, somewhat like a mild hangover.

I got mine out in 78, I think the Navy dentists did it just for something to do. He put the needle in the roof of my mouth and when I ran out of leg and couldn't stand any taller, it poked in. I remember a single tear running down my cheek. Razz

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I will soon be going through 10 extractions and 9 implants in one sitting and only be "numbed up". I've only ever been numbed for dental stuff.

Rethinking it, I called and spoke with a dental tech. She said the sedation was what one might call a "twilight sedation". I'd still have to be aware just enough to follow any instructions ... move tongue, open mouth, close mouth, whatever etc.

So I asked, if in the middle of the procedure and only numbed up, would it still be possible to go for sedation? ... She said she wasn't sure. In her 8yrs with this dentist, she'd never encountered that situation.

As someone mentioned, sedation is a greater expense to the procedure and the dentist needs to know up front if that's what you choose. Furthermore, they will likely require that someone be with you to drive you home following the procedure, also as mentioned I think.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I've only had two fillings in 44 years and they were both at the same time. No needles or gas. Just told the dentist not to hit anything that will hurt.

I had my 3 wisdom teeth pulled, two were exposed, one was still under the gums. They offered valium and I said no thanks. He gave me a couple shots in the gums and went to work. I was watching the whole time. When he had to cut the third tooth out he sliced open the gums and took a Dremel tool to the tooth. I still remember the smell of burnt bone.

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
When I had my LASIK, they gave me a Valium in the waiting room. I know it's not dentistry, but I didn't give a shit that they cut my cornea with a laser, peeled it back, and used a laser to reshape the cornea.
They would have to knock my ass out to mess with my eyeballs.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Not LASIK for me, but cataract. My MediCare plan would not cover the laser method, but it did pay for the old-fashioned procedure, I guess with scalpel. Remove cataract, insert IOL (man-made lens).

They offered Valium, but I can not deal with the after effects of sedatives, tranquilizers, etc. Vertigo, disoriented, nausea, throwing up, nope, not for me. I declined the Valium, just went with the numbing eye drops. No pain, just a lot of anxiety.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
[off topic]
Cataract surgery in both eyes 17-18yrs ago while active duty Navy. Navy doc and staff went with full on anesthesia. I knew nothing.
[/off topic]

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dentists have discovered that anxiety is a big problem for many patients. Typically light conscious sedation through an IV is a solution. In most cases this type of sedation is not covered by insurance.

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've only had two fillings in 44 years and they were both at the same time. No needles or gas. Just told the dentist not to hit anything that will hurt.

I had my 3 wisdom teeth pulled, two were exposed, one was still under the gums. They offered valium and I said no thanks. He gave me a couple shots in the gums and went to work. I was watching the whole time. When he had to cut the third tooth out he sliced open the gums and took a Dremel tool to the tooth. I still remember the smell of burnt bone.

I would have died a thousand deaths! Eek