SIGforum
Sedation dentistry

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6570085874

January 12, 2021, 08:30 PM
10X-Shooter
Sedation dentistry
For me, eye penetration is the phobia although after tons of kidney surgeries going up the front doesn’t give me the warm and cozy feelings. I’ve had a lot of dental work done, most recent pulling of the rest of the lower teeth and post mini titanium rod implants for a denture. All they gave were nitrous and gum shots. It wasn’t pleasant at all. For the upper I was given powdered benzodiazepine and that was the way to go and be comfortable. Just need someone to drive you.
January 12, 2021, 09:02 PM
Copefree
Find a dentist in your area that uses the Solea laser — it’s amazing.

January 13, 2021, 09:17 AM
rsbolo
Nitrous for me. Thank you. Valium if the procedure is anything more than a filling.

January 13, 2021, 09:26 AM
lastmanstanding
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Find a dentist in your area that uses the Solea laser — it’s amazing.

I do have a dentist in the area that uses this but from what I read it has pretty limited applications.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
January 13, 2021, 11:27 AM
btanchors
In the past, I have had a fair amount of dental work (about 6-7 fillings, around 7 extractions (5 of which were perfectly good teeth, just too crowded), braces, and one implant. In all of those cases, a local was used (and I was much younger!)

But in two weeks, I am having two wisdom teeth extracted, a bone graph and an implant done in one session. Nothing like Hobbs is getting done (!), but in my older years I have gotten less bold and more squeamish. The dentist doing the procedure is also board certified in anesthesia, so I'd rather be asleep.
January 13, 2021, 11:34 AM
MNSIG
A loose tooth is either due to periodontal bone loss or traumatic occlusion. I would start with finding a dentist you can trust based on recommendations from friends and family. Most can managing anxiety pretty effectively without sedation if they know it's an issue for you.

Where in MN do you live?
January 13, 2021, 11:48 AM
sigalert
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
We have a dentist on the board. He will hopefully be along soon to help.

We have a dentist? I need to review the 2021 Sigforum benefits package!

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson
January 13, 2021, 03:52 PM
lastmanstanding
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
A loose tooth is either due to periodontal bone loss or traumatic occlusion. I would start with finding a dentist you can trust based on recommendations from friends and family. Most can managing anxiety pretty effectively without sedation if they know it's an issue for you.

Where in MN do you live?

I am in the Duluth area.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton