SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mechanics - chime in!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanics - chime in! Login/Join 
posted
My brother-in-law is a die hard believer in adding Techron periodically to his gas - any reason to do that in this day and age?

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
depends where he gets his normal gas.

Gas all comes from your regional tanks. The additives are added as the trucks load or just after. then delivered to the big dealers, 76,shell, bp, exxon, chevron.

2nd and 3rd tier places may not have additives.
IE grocery stores, costco, valero, 7-11, mom and pops

The 2nd and 3rd tier is where you would want to ad an additive every now and again.

That being said, an addative in a direct injection engine is like wear socks with sandles on a beach. yeah you will keep some shit out, but what your really need it does nothing for.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Techron is a very good product. Whether you need it or not is subjective to your driving. A lot of short drives, yes it would help. Add it in the tank before you do an oil change as it might dilute your oil a little.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
From what I've read Costco is top tier rated

Here is a list of top tier brands

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Yes, Costco sells Tier 1 gasoline...

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It doesn't hurt, and if just added, say, every 3rd or 4th tank, doesn't cost that much, so it's not as if he is being ripped off. But I have collectively put over 400,000 miles on my fuel-injected cars and trucks without ever adding anything, and on E10 (10% ethanol) and not always "top tier," to boot, and never had a problem. On customer vehicles I also rarely replace injectors. If I do it is usually just one. On one "extreme outlier" case I did run into some truly clogged injectors, to the point where the car wouldn't even start. This was a 30-year-old car that had sat with less than a quarter tank of gas for the last 11 years and the entire fuel system was rusted up.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
That ‘placebo’ effect is strong for many people, with all types of things. Then it’s hard to pin down any benefits without a detailed, scientific study.

I have never felt the need for any additives with fuel for auto use. Yes, there may be reasons for specialty situations, storage, light use, certain environmental conditions.

If he wants to use it, it’s his $$. I’d just stay out of it.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
From what I've read Costco is top tier rated

Here is a list of top tier brands

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

Wow shows you how dated my info is. I have not bought costco gas since the 90s

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
My wifes cars don’t usually sit long enough for the tires to cool off, and I’ve never added anything to the gas, and never had any injector problems.

Since I’ve retired, my truck only sees about 5000 miles per year. I always use Top Tier gas in it, and I’ll add Techron 2 or 3 times a year.
Can’t say it’s done any good, but it hasn’t hurt, and it makes me feel better.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Add it in the tank before you do an oil change as it might dilute your oil a little.

Uh... what?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I will add a bottle after every oil change, around 5,000 miles or so. I use top tier gas except when I'm on a road trip where it's sometimes a little more difficult to find. Mostly find the large chains like Loves, Pilot, etc. in the rural areas I drive through.

I would like to see some scientific study into this as well.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
When I was a mechanic I would recommend a couple of products from BG but other than those all I can say is that if it makes you feel more comfortable to spend more money then go right ahead.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post