SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vixen's Scream
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vixen's Scream Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Moved to the edge of a small rural community of about 500 people about 16 months ago. Hear lots of critters day and night and know most but this one was different. The first time I heard it, and it was pretty loud, It sounded like it could be a women's scream, roughly coming from the direction of my closest neighbor's house, little over 100 yards away. It made the hair on my neck stand up. About 10:30. I got up threw my pants on and took my 9mm and flashlight, went outside and walked the immediate area, looked and listened. Nothing. Houses all dark and quiet.

Heard it a few more nights around the same time. 6 or 8 times, 15 to 20 sec between each. Finally, I googled and listened to audio of all the Owls, Frogs and everything I could find that was native to Tennessee and finally found it tonight!

Fox! They call it "Vixen's Scream".
The exact thing I hear starts at about 40 sec.
Spooky if you don't know what it is!
https://youtu.be/J6NuhlibHsM

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
This explains it...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Could you imagine camping in the middle of nowhere and just randomly hearing that? Eek Big Grin. Mother Nature can be a troll at times

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
One of the more interesting middle TN sounds is the unmistakable sound of a coyote ....... killing a cat.

Ahhh cat the other, other white meat.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Foxes will do that to you.

I lived out in the woods in the Adirondacks for a time and heard that frequently. Freaked me out for awhile too.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt in south Alabama, one deer plot was called the panther plot. You would be sitting there and all of a sudden there was this scream, like a woman screaming at the top of her lungs. Kiled a lot of deer off of that plot, had the hair on the back of my neck at full attention many times while walking/dragging a deer out of that plot.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Mountain Lions have an interesting sceam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxo8X5uIWRE

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have a video from my game camera with a fox making that sound. Just the way they bark.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and it drives my pup nuts! When the vixens scream starts my dog goes wild!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
That's kind of the way I felt when I first heard what I later found out was a wild peacock.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
This explains it...

So it's an 'Oppa-Gangam-Style-in-the-woods' kinda thing? Got it. Wink

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought someone or something was being killed in the woods across the street the first time I heard it. When someone is here, that has never heard it before, they really "freak out" until I tell them what it was. The only other "woods" scream that has made me squirm is when something gets a hold of a rabbit. Rabbits really scream when they are being made into a meal.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bobcat scream sounds like a baby crying out.
Many years ago scared my wife in the middle of the night when the windows were open!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Bobcat scream sounds like a baby crying out.
Many years ago scared my wife in the middle of the night when the windows were open!

I agree. Probably a bobcat.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Middle TN you might see a cougar sometime.

TWRA confirms cougars in Tennessee

http://www.local8now.com/conte...ssee--413910373.html

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- At least nine cougar sightings have been confirmed. TWRA said they will be monitoring the natural expansion of the cougar.

All of the confirmed sightings listed are in Middle or West Tennessee. There are several possible reports in East Tennessee, but none confirmed by the TWRA.

Zoo Knoxville Director of Animal Care Phil Colclough said it could be several years before more cougars are in our area.

"Obviously they are coming this way there's a few scattered records here and there and I think they will be here at some point, coming down from the north. We obviously have a lot of deer in this area so the prey is here for them to have," said Colclough.

According to TWRA the cougar is native to Tennessee, but was extirpated because of hunting and habitat loss.

Colclough said the return of the cougars might be good for the environment.

"They could control the deer population. It would be huge, think about all the car accidents and the problems deer cause because of their over population," said Colclough.

According to TWRA cougars, once they establish a home range can be up to 150 miles. They can travel up to 600 miles or more to find that home range.

It is also illegal to hunt and kill cougars. The TWRA on their website state, "Tennessee law protects all animals for which no hunting season is proclaimed, the cougar is protected in Tennessee. It is illegal to kill a cougar in Tennessee except in the case of imminent threat of life and injury. Also, if a landowner is experiencing property damage made by wildlife, that landowner has the right to protect his/her property."

More information can be found https://www.tn.gov/twra/articl...sthash.UfFsHuFB.dpuf

A map of confirmed Cougar sightings can be found here. http://twra.maps.arcgis.com/ap...4896ad6200e5ed1ccbab

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to listen to babies being beaten and tortured. It would go on night after night, and the police were never called. Eventually I found the den of evilness where they babies were being held while being killed.

It was in some tall eucalyptus trees that giant blue heron's inhabited.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife heard screams from our woods about 8 years ago early in the morning. She said it sounded like a woman screaming bloody murder. We went down to the woods and found "nests" and structures made out of woven twigs and branches built around several big trees.

I asked around and an acquaintance of mine who does a hunting show on the radio asked us to come over to his house to hear call and screams of wild animals he had recordings of. He played a alleged Bigfoot call and my wife said that's what she heard.

When I told him about the structures in our woods he came out and said it's what Bigfoot creatures make for their young. He said they follow streams, and we have a stream running through our acreage.

I'm not saying it was and I'm not saying it wasn't. It was a weird thing all the way around.

So see if you can find a recording of the Bigfoot scream just for kicks.

BTW we are in rural Ohio.

Posts: 12 | Registered: April 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post