SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Riding lawn mower question....which one to buy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Riding lawn mower question....which one to buy Login/Join 
posted
Today my self-propelled push lawnmower started acting up so it may be time for a new one. It sounds and feels like a bearing has failed, if I grab the blade I can move the shaft up & down about an 1/8 inch or so. I'm not sure if its worth fixing so if I buy something new I'd like to get a riding lawnmower. My question is what brands are best? So far I looked at John Deere, Husqvarna, Cub Cadet and Poulon. HP ratings range from 17-22 and runs between 1500 for the Poulon up to 2000 for the 22hp John Deere. I have a decent size yard and I'm not getting any younger so it may be time for a lawnmower I can sit on instead of walk behind. What say the hive?

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I have a Craftsman LT1000 that I bought 17 years ago. 19.5hp Briggs and Stratton. 42" deck. Automatic transmission. I have changed the oil every year. I am on the 3rd set of blades and 2nd Battery. I had to replace the gas tank when a seam cracked 4 years ago. I replaced the front two tires. The thing just keeps running...

My advice, The Craftsman has been great but the best thing I did was get the automatic transmission. YMMV but I have been very happy.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
You'll get lots of opinions re which brand is better. So I'll just mention that when I bought my JD 140 I didn't realize how much gas the thing was going to use thanks in part to its 3 blades.

Really not necessary given the size of my yard, plus it's a pain to access the middle blade when removing/installing. Two blades would have been enough.

FWIW the tractor lift at HF has made that job a lot easier.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Hustler Raptor is a durable well built residential zero turn.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
~$2k for a husq 48" tractor is the going rate around here. My stepdad had one for 4-5 years & did fine for his acre, just upgraded to a ZT like my hustler, but you're looking at $5k then.
I never understood buying something 'self propelled' that you had to wrestle around corners, but I've never mowed <1 acre.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
MTD makes the vast majority of the lawn tractors, then sold by dealers under there own brand name.

I bought a Toro LX460 tractor over 10 years ago, does its job without much trouble. I also use it to plow my sidewalks.

Look used on Craigs list.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
MTD makes the vast majority of the lawn tractors, then sold by dealers under there own brand name.

The man speaketh the truth. I am with these guys every day. Brands at the big box stores almost all come from MTD. Honda and Toro are their own manufacturer, but all others I can think of are an MTD product.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MTD makes many brands. Local Wallyworld has a couple 38" murrary's for $ 874.plus tax. Looked nice. 12.5 HP. Briggs.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
When I shop for parts for my Toro MANY cross reference to MTD.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Bad Boy mowers. Extremely well made in the USA and packed with features.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everything at Lowe’s and Home Depot is made by MTD except husqvuarna. Even the John Deer/cub cadet. I went with husqvuarna and I am very pleased with it. It’s made well and always starts easily and is pretty fast. Also you do not need to push any buttons to reverse like on a JD.
If you want a real cub cadet or a real John Deer you will have to go to a dealer and pay damn near twice as much.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Pretty much everything at Lowe’s and Home Depot is made by MTD except husqvuarna. Even the John Deer/cub cadet. I went with husqvuarna and I am very pleased with it. It’s made well and always starts easily and is pretty fast. Also you do not need to push any buttons to reverse like on a JD.
If you want a real cub cadet or a real John Deer you will have to go to a dealer and pay damn near twice as much.

As usual I'm getting great advice from the members of Sigforum and I appreciate it. More than likely I'll have to buy from Lowes or Home Depot because they give 10% military discount.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
I don't know if you're considering zero-turn vs steering wheel, but keep in mind that with a zero-turn, you cannot drink coldbeer while mowing. Even with a cupholder, the motor vibration rattles the coldbeer into a flatbeer in seconds.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
As usual I'm getting great advice from the members of Sigforum and I appreciate it. More than likely I'll have to buy from Lowes or Home Depot because they give 10% military discount.

Not just that but I use the HD card and the 12 months of interest free financing is very useful. I guess that's why they always raise my limit since I wait until month 11 to pay them their money in full. Big Grin

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

I bought a Toro LX460 tractor over 10 years ago, does its job without much trouble. I also use it to plow my sidewalks.

Look used on Craigs list.

Is MTD any good or just a watered down version that's built cheap and won't last long? Is Troy Built any good?

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmoneybags:
I don't know if you're considering zero-turn vs steering wheel, but keep in mind that with a zero-turn, you cannot drink coldbeer while mowing. Even with a cupholder, the motor vibration rattles the coldbeer into a flatbeer in seconds.

True with soda as well.

ZT mowers also don't do well on soft ground.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
How important are longevity and quality of cut? You’ll rarely get much of either with the MTD rebrands. You can usually tell a yard cut with an MTD mower because the decks never stay level and they look like hell. If you’re interested in something cheap to knock the grass down to a manageable height once a week and are willing to replace it every 3-6 years then save some money and get a Yardman from Walmart.

Edit: Or the cheapest thing at Lowe’s if the discount makes it cheaper there.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to who makes what under which brand names, as of 2017: https://todaysmower.com/2014-l...actor-manufacturers/

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I mow about 4 acres on a weekly basis and I use a Husky and a Cub Cadet. They are both great mowers as long as you keep them maintained. The Husky is the older of the two and I find that I go through belts faster on it than I do the Cub.

I'm getting older myself and one consideration, if you do your own maintenance, is how easy is it to get the deck off. Some riding mowers can be a real chore. Belts, pulleys, spindles, blades are just a few of the things that will need replacing over time.

As other posters have mentioned, MTD makes a lot of different mowers, under many brand names, and you want to buy a mower that you can get parts for and can be repaired locally, if necessary.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Pretty much everything at Lowe’s and Home Depot is made by MTD except husqvuarna. Even the John Deer/cub cadet.....

Cub yes but MTD doesn't manufacture for John Deere.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post