SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer people
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer people Login/Join 
posted
How do you find the SSID for the network?

I clicked on my tool bar and bring up the net info. It says Network name(SSID) then a name, but when I type it in to my new computer when it asks for it, it just blows it off and asks again.
It is not a number is it?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
It can be a name or a number - or any combo of those things.
You can also have various levels of security on the wifi including:

(common) password protected (wep or wpa)
(not common) hidden SSID (so you need to KNOW the SSID in order to join - it wont show up in a list)
(very uncommon) MAC filtering on the router (meaning the router must have the MAC address of your computer entered in it to allow access)

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
SSIDs are generally case sensitive - so be sure you're using caps where caps go - and lowercase where lowercase goes

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called up the wireless Lan utility and it says
SSID then it says something, but when I type that in to the new computer I am trying to get setup on the network, it does not recognize it. It is a hidden network.

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I got it, I was doing something wrong, but now it is asking for the network security key for the hidden network

Edited to say that is just another name for password...geeez.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
that would be the:
(common) password protected (wep or wpa)

To get that you'll need to log into your router or modem (whichever is broadcasting the wifi)

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
The SSID is whatever the network is called/named.
It is possible that the SSID is hidden from broadcast...

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post